Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #16
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm seconding Tender is the Night.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #17
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest you ask for your nomination back as I can only find this in PDF and if that's true, then it has no chance to win.
So PDF books are no good? In that case I withdraw Candy by Maxwell Kenton.
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
PDF books don't display well on a 6" eink screen. So it's a good idea that you are withdrawing your nomination.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #19
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Is that fact that the nomination list post hasn't been updated in about 3 hours, proof that "Romance" is not one of Tom's favorite genres??
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Is that fact that the nomination list post hasn't been updated in about 3 hours, proof that "Romance" is not one of Tom's favorite genres??
To be honest, I think it's one of the bookclubs four worst months. The classics being two and horror being the other. Horror is a problem because we get silly books voted for in horror. Ones that are not creepy or scary. And classics, we usually get books that are dull, boring and just plain dated.
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #21
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
To be honest, I think it's one of the bookclubs four worst months. The classics being two and horror being the other. Horror is a problem because we get silly books voted for in horror. Ones that are not creepy or scary. And classics, we usually get books that are dull, boring and just plain dated.
Agreed. There are some good classic books out there but the ones that get picked are so slow and boring.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Agreed. There are some good classic books out there but the ones that get picked are so slow and boring.
I've figured out a classic to nominate for the next classic month. It's a modern classic and I bet a lot will complain it's not a classic. But it is and it fits and nobody has yet to give a catch-all definition of what a classic is because it isn't possible. A classic is subjective and that can't be defined.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #23
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I'll suggest The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. It's available here and on Project Gutenberg. Inkmesh link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodreads Summary
Winner of the 1921 Pulitzer Prize, The Age of Innocence is Edith Wharton’s masterful portrait of desire and betrayal during the sumptuous Golden Age of Old New York, a time when society people “dreaded scandal more than disease.”

This is Newland Archer’s world as he prepares to marry the beautiful but conventional May Welland. But when the mysterious Countess Ellen Olenska returns to New York after a disastrous marriage, Archer falls deeply in love with her. Torn between duty and passion, Archer struggles to make a decision that will either courageously define his life—or mercilessly destroy it.

Last edited by Synamon; 01-20-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #24
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Sorry, I got the first two ones put in, but was in and out during the time I am usually on.

I will try to get it caught up now.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #25
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
How about something from a fantasy/romance genre? I nominate Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Pretty long, but gets good reviews and is available from amazon and others.

From goodreads:

Spoiler:
The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into intrigues and dangers that may threaten her life...and shatter her heart. For here she meets James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, and becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #26
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
This is NOT a category I particularly like, but I second Anyone But You by Jennifer Crusie
(It was a freebie somewhere at some point so I actually have it, and might as well read it... No deeper reason than that! It should be pretty quick read.)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #27
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Sorry, I got the first two ones put in, but was in and out during the time I am usually on.

I will try to get it caught up now.
No worries Dreams...I was being silly!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #28
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Quote:
I've figured out a classic to nominate for the next classic month. It's a modern classic and I bet a lot will complain it's not a classic. But it is and it fits and nobody has yet to give a catch-all definition of what a classic is because it isn't possible. A classic is subjective and that can't be defined.

First it is my understanding that there is a place to complain about categories, nomination process, and voting process. : Discussion/Suggestion thread

The way it works is that anyone is able to nominate any book they wish in any category subject to the restrictions that it must be available as and ebook and that it is not a repeat nomination. So anyone who thinks that he/she knows of a great ebook in the _____________ category should just nominate it. Then let the people who participate in this club make the decision. If the suggested ebook does not not receive enough additional confirmations to make it into the vote, or if that ebook does not receive a majority of the votes, then maybe few thought it was that great a book, or at least a majority thought another book was better?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #29
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
The Kobo store had Maxwell Kenton's Candy, available for download as Adobe DRM epub:

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Candy...0Sg/page1.html

Last edited by hpulley; 01-21-2012 at 09:26 AM.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #30
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Age of Innocence is free on Kobo so I second it:
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-A...v_g/page1.html
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote