Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 03:42 AM   #1
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Authors with a two last names

First of all I want to thank everybody who is involved with the development of Calibre.

My only problem is that I have books by several authors who have a double last name, such as Lilian Jackson Braun. Calibre wants to change the Author Sort to Braun, Lilian Jackson. I manually change it to Jackson Braun, Lilian which I don't mind doing. The problem starts when I convert the book or add or edit the metadata it changes the Author Sort automatically and it doesn't do it so you see it in the edit screen, it changes it when you save the changes. This means that after saving I have to search that book, open it again in the Edit Metadata screen to adjust to Author Sort.

Is there a way to stop Calibre from automatically changing the Author Sort field? At the moment I'm adding and correcting the metadata for my books and it's getting annoying that I have to hunt for books which Calibre has automatically "corrected".

Thank you.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As far as I know Calibre does NOT change the value that is set in the Edit Metadata screen - at least it never does for me! However if you download metadata and allow Calibre to overwrite the author field it will re-calculate the author sort field. This will show up before you press the OK button and not 'behind-the-scenes'

A better way to handle this is to use the Tags Browser to find the Author and edit the Author Sort value there. That will then become the new default value if you add any new books by that author.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yesterday it happened after I converted the a LJB book to another format, I hadn't opened the book in the Edit Metadata screen or downloaded metadata.

Thanks for the tip about the Tag Browser, I saw that it sorted LJB as Braun, Lilian Jackson. I changed it and hopefully it solves my problem.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Tag browser sort fix should do you

Watch out for Metadata download over-write messing your book entry up.
(For this reason, I un-tick Title and Author downloads in the settings)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Tag browser sort fix should do you

Watch out for Metadata download over-write messing your book entry up.
(For this reason, I un-tick Title and Author downloads in the settings)
er....where's that setting?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
er....where's that setting?
At the bottom of the Edit (single) Metadata screen
Old 07-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool duh!! thanks!!

Quote:
At the bottom of the Edit (single) Metadata screen
ah...under downloaded metadata fields. do these settings stick?
Old 07-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
ah...under downloaded metadata fields. do these settings stick?
Yes!
IIRC If you apply, otherwise I think they are just for the download.

BTW you can also get there from Preferences (that sticks for sure): Sharing section ( ).
Old 07-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Question yup

Quote:
Yes!
IIRC If you apply, otherwise I think they are just for the download.

BTW you can also get there from Preferences (that sticks for sure): Sharing section ( ).
yep....checked there and it had stuck
Old 07-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post

My only problem is that I have books by several authors who have a double last name, such as Lilian Jackson Braun.
As far as I know, she didn’t have a double last name. Her books are sorted by "Braun", which is her last name (as used for writing, anyway). Jackson is her middle name. Otherwise it would likely have been hyphenated.

I've never seen it filed by "Jackson" in any library or book store.

Last edited by JMikeD; 07-06-2011 at 03:55 PM.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:34 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
As far as I know, she didn’t have a double last name. Her books are sorted by "Braun", which is her last name (as used for writing, anyway). Jackson is her middle name. Otherwise is would have been hyphenated.
Double surnames which are NOT hyphenated are relatively common in Britain. Eg Arthur Conan Doyle used "Conan Doyle" (not "Doyle") as his surname, which is why personally I choose to sort his books as "Conan Doyle, Arthur", not "Doyle, Arthur Conan".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Double surnames which are NOT hyphenated are relatively common in Britain. Eg Arthur Conan Doyle used "Conan Doyle" (not "Doyle") as his surname, which is why personally I choose to sort his books as "Conan Doyle, Arthur", not "Doyle, Arthur Conan".
hmmmm....good point, i never knew that (of course the standard [standard, what standard] is further confused by gutenberg [and others] adding 'sir' to his name.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Today is a good day. I learned something.

Actually, I learned two things. The other was: don't look at your rear tire while bicycle riding on a narrow trail or you'll hit a tree.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool ouch...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
Today is a good day. I learned something.

Actually, I learned two things. The other was: don't look at your rear tire while bicycle riding on a narrow trail or you'll hit a tree.

Mike
that hurts!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #15
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I use the metadata download mainly for the summary, release date, publisher and cover. All the other options are unticked.

I haven't had a chance to experiment but I changed it in the tag browser.

At my local bookstore they have filed her books under the J so that's why I did the same. I assumed it was either her maiden name or simply a double last name but I now see that other websites refer to her as "Braun" so I'm going to change it back. But still, I have the same problem with Arthur Conan Doyle and Alexander McCall Smith.

Personally, I don't really care under what name the books are filed as long as they're all together and not one half under Conan and the other half under Doyle, which was the case in my ebook library.

Thank you all for your help!