Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
anathema
Enthusiast
anathema began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
GCC/Development environement

Ok guys just won my auction for a brand new reader from ebay, (220..okay deal for new in package i hope)

For all you crack devs out there, have any of you got a working development environment going for the reader? I want to make my own apps running natively on the reader itself. It seems to be a newer type Dragonball cpu on there so one would think some tools must exist.

Are these the Dragonball CPUs based on ARM9's or MOT68k? The pictures are unclear.

Are there any technical reasons app development couldn't be done?

Also, maybe tinyhttp is powerful enough on its own that some of the stuff I want could just be scripted? Any input anyone ?
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Look at this thread for the unOfficial SDK:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11280

$220 is a very good deal
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
anathema
Enthusiast

Well, this is good in that it gives me a library with a bunch of functions (mostly drawing/bitmap related?) but its the development environement im curious about.

It seems to be the ARM9 based cpu, so now ill just look for an arm-elf-linux gcc cross-compile kit.. some kind of debugger..(possibly insight?) etc...

Also, determining what exact versions of libraries they use on the device would help immensely. Anyone know ?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can use Universal Flasher's "run script" function to run any command on the device. Or you can download the firmware updater and unpack the cramfs files.
The CPU is Dragonball MX.L. You can find the sources for kernel and some other libs at Sony's site: http://www.sony.net/Products/Linux/
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
anathema
Enthusiast

Thanks igorsk, you're a big help. I mentioned in the other post, but I'm going to see if I can get an ARM toolchain set up here (it will be for linux unfortunatly for many of you) and maybe develop a custom app or two

I am right in assuming there is no signed binary protection etc on the reader itself to stop me from running 3rd party apps? My DRM cracking skillz might be a little rusty
Advert