Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Smudge
Smudge began at the beginning.

Device: none
2 Kindles - one with 3.0.2 and the other with 3.0.3???

My wife and I each received Kindles for Xmas. Hers has 3.0.3 on it and mine has 3.0.2 on it. Should I be able to update to the latest version? If so, how? What are the differences on the latest version? Any idea as to why one would have the latest update and the other would not? Thanks
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
More than likely it is the way they left the factories.

you can find the update to 3.0.3 at the following link and the instructions are there to.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700

You will need to choice the correct version WIFI only or 3G and WIFI and the the country which you are from.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
People on this board seem to be having a hard time seeing much difference between these releases.

3.0.3 has been offered at amazon.com as an optional download since October 18. I believe this to be an unusually long time for such a trial status and wonder if it indicates some uncertainty as to the benefits.

Unless you have problems, or Amazon puts out something higher than 3.0.3, I would stick with what they gave you.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
From what I have seen and heard, people having problems with 3.0.2 have had most of them fixed with 3.0.3.

I myself updated to 3.0.3 within an hour of opening it and never had a problem except with occasional hiccups with Experimental features.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I think some of the benefits are to do with the experimental browser. My blog subscribers have told me that they cannot access certain gmail links and login to specific websites with the 3.0.2 firmware -yet I can with 3.0.3 - and indeed in cases where they have updated, the problems have disappeared.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Is there any noticeable difference between 3.0.1 and 3.0.3? I never received the 3.0.2 update.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:26 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Is there any noticeable difference between 3.0.1 and 3.0.3? I never received the 3.0.2 update.
3.0.2 was never sent out over the air.

I'm running 3.0.1 myself and have had no problems at all. Some people apparently had issues with temperature sensitivity with 3.0.1, which were fixed with the later update.

I'm a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". When Amazon issue an update that THEY think is worth having, they'll send it to me .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:58 AM   #8
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

I'm running 3.0.1 myself and have had no problems at all. Some people apparently had issues with temperature sensitivity with 3.0.1, which were fixed with the later update.

I'm a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". When Amazon issue an update that THEY think is worth having, they'll send it to me .
Yes I had lots of freezing and rebooting issues with 3.0.1 that were all thankfully fixed when I installed the 3.0.2 firmware. 3.0.3 has also been very stable for me - no problems at all.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #9
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:

ditto.
still running the 3.0.1 and, knock on wood, it hasn't frozen once since the horrible first week when it just stalled all over the place. so if it's still good an running i'm not going to switch.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Thanks, Harry. I subscribe to that belief as well. I was just wondering if there was any additional functionality in 3.0.3 to warrant upgrading (like when they offered that update for download that included folders for the first time). Having had no problems with 3.0.1, I'll wait for the over-the-air update.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-04-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Quote:

Obviously if it wasn't worth having then they would not have the 3.0.3 available to the public. Considering the number of bugs it fixes, whether you experience them or not, it is better to be prepared and update, than wait to be without your Kindle due to those bugs, get it fixed/replaced, THEN update it.

Better to save yourself the hassle and just update. The worst that can happen is you never experience the bugs, the best case is you notice a performance increase.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
Obviously if it wasn't worth having then they would not have the 3.0.3 available to the public. Considering the number of bugs it fixes, whether you experience them or not, it is better to be prepared and update, than wait to be without your Kindle due to those bugs, get it fixed/replaced, THEN update it.

Better to save yourself the hassle and just update. The worst that can happen is you never experience the bugs, the best case is you notice a performance increase.
That sounds reasonable, but I'd rather wait in case other issues crop up among early adopters.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
Snakey
What would Snake do?
Snakey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I held my 3.0.3 up next to my dad's 3.0.2 and the page turning was noticeably faster on mine.
Snakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
The fact that they made a preview available suggests they are confident that any major issues are worked out, but the fact that it's still in preview suggests they are not confident that the all the minor ones have. Still, 3 is higher than 2 and I can't resist.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:09 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post

As a general principle, I don't install "beta" software.

Most of the issues that people have experienced seem to be with the web browser. I don't use the browser on the Kindle at all; I do my mobile web browsing on my iPhone.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote