Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
pyite
pyite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
K3 for xmas - how to get ssh client & external keyboard

Hello there, this device is quite nice; is there an easy way to use an external keyboard with it? e.g. I read that it is possible to remove the 3g card and that may be a way to plug in a USB hub.

This thing would be perfect to carry around when i'm on call instead of a laptop; all I need is an SSH client and basic browsing.

Thanks,
Mark
pyite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
There's no practical way to do this. This thing is not meant to replace your computer. USB hubs are easily thicker than the Kindle itself. Unless you want to your Kindle to be half-opened, I don't think it would be possible to add a USB hub.

The only possible way to do add an external keyboard without making your Kindle look like a malformed router would be to add a bluetooth adapter (http://www.griffin.net/2010/01/hacki...dx-part-1.html). Then, supposing you could write your own driver, you could hook up a Bluetooth Keyboard and use that... (but I doubt that's possible unless you are an experienced linux programmer) The end effect would be something like the iPad with an external keyboard.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
pyite
pyite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
> This thing is not meant to replace your computer.

Using things how they were "meant" to is boring!

More seriously, thanks for the info. I did embedded Linux programming for awhile, so my first instinct with any device - especially those that are Linux-based - is to see where the limits are.

Mark
pyite is offline   Reply With Quote