Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #16
zeroh
Zealot
zeroh doesn't litterzeroh doesn't litter

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I'm not going through the process just for a better browsing experience with the stock browser and some WiFi tweaks. My WiFi has never been an issue. I don't need the stock browser anymore. I'll just wait for the major update then re-root.

gtriever: Those of us with original root have non-market installs enabled. It was done as a separate process, after root.
I agree.. i'd rather not have to wipe everything and reroot after updating and then have to go through all that reloading and reconfiguring to the way I like it. My NC suits me just fine not without the upgrade for now.
zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #17
emt
Nameless Being

How Do You Know...

That the only change is better browsing/wifi? There may be other "unannounced" tweaks. It's no big deal to wipe/reset
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #18
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
That the only change is better browsing/wifi? There may be other "unannounced" tweaks. It's no big deal to wipe/reset
If you want to do it go ahead if it's what you want. I'm not trying to deter anyone (I wouldn't have started this thread). I've invested much in configuring my device. Everyone is at a different level.

I don't plan to wipe, re-root, and re-configure for every minor update that comes along with the hope of there being some hidden gems. If you discover unannounced tweaks please let us know.

Last edited by SCION; 12-18-2010 at 11:24 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #19
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I'm not going through the process just for a better browsing experience with the stock browser and some WiFi tweaks. My WiFi has never been an issue. I don't need the stock browser anymore. I'll just wait for the major update then re-root.
While I agree with this...I also wanted to point out that the Nooter script has been significantly "enhanced" since we rooted. When we rooted that's ALL the script did. Now the script also installs all the stuff we had to do manually (superuser, enable non market installs, add gmail, calendar and market, etc.).

With a good back up program reinstalling all your apps shouldn't be an issue. From there it's a matter of getting preferences back in place (and with a good back up program even those can be easily added).

Just saying...or rather I think I'm trying to convince myself that I need to wipe, update and then reroot.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
While I agree with this...I also wanted to point out that the Nooter script has been significantly "enhanced" since we rooted. When we rooted that's ALL the script did. Now the script also installs all the stuff we had to do manually (superuser, enable non market installs, add gmail, calendar and market, etc.).

With a good back up program reinstalling all your apps shouldn't be an issue. From there it's a matter of getting preferences back in place (and with a good back up program even those can be easily added).

Just saying...or rather I think I'm trying to convince myself that I need to wipe, update and then reroot.
Thanks for informing the uninformed about the enhanced rooting process.
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #21
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
If you happy with what you have, then don't change a thing. For those of us who haven't gone through the process, it's good to see that the xda guys are on top of things.

Quote:
gtriever: Those of us with original root have non-market installs enabled. It was done as a separate process, after root.
And now it's included in Auto-nooter as well...
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #22
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
If you happy with what you have, then don't change a thing. For those of us who haven't gone through the process, it's good to see that the xda guys are on top of things....
I'm not sure why you're pointing this out. My response was directed to Noah who was inquiring about those who rooted already. And I re-addressed it in post #18.

Last edited by SCION; 12-18-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #23
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

Thanks! I think I'll wait it out as well. I'm sure another update will come through again before 2.2 anyway.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #24
SCION
Séduisant

Let us know if the new root fixes the "Browse in Store" issue.

This is a feature that allows you to read a book for up to one hour in a local B&N. Those with original root are no longer able to access this feature. We can connect to the store WiFi and access the Internet with no problems. We can't read books for up to an hour.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #25
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
New out of the box process.

So, let's say I purchased a second NC, and am just taking it out of the box. I assume it has 1.0.0 as it was manuf/shipped prior to the 1.0.1 update. So, I'll need to go through the usual activation process, and then when B&N activates the auto-update, the NC will likely update itself to 1.0.1, and then perform the new automated nooter process.

Or, if the automated B&N update isn't yet active, I could download and install the update prior to auto-nooter, and then use the most recent auto-nooter.

That sound about right?

(Although not stated, I can't help but wonder if there were some improvements in battery life that may be coming along with the wi-fi improvement)
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #26
SCION
Séduisant

That's my understanding as well.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #27
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Thanks. The thing that concerned me, was firing up the new NC, and having it auto-update, leaving me with the "manual" nootering option only. I'd prefer to use the auto-nooter, and now that it's fixed for the update, I guess that should work fine.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #28
meglet
Enthusiast
meglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I wonder if it's worth updating and then re-rooting...
I'm seriously considering it, my NC is being a real pain about connecting to/staying connected to WiFi.

At least the new AutoNooter script includes stuff like the Market which I had to do manually the first time around. And I haven't loaded too many apps yet, so re-installing those won't be a big deal.
meglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #29
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglet View Post
I'm seriously considering it, my NC is being a real pain about connecting to/staying connected to WiFi.

At least the new AutoNooter script includes stuff like the Market which I had to do manually the first time around. And I haven't loaded too many apps yet, so re-installing those won't be a big deal.
Certainly a good reason to update. You can't enjoy your device in its present state.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #30
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Someone who does it, please report on how much fun it is to unroot & reroot.

Thanks.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote