Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
fyrogenesis
Undead
fyrogenesis began at the beginning.

Device: Omnia, Kindle 3, Dell Streak, Asus TF101, iPad 2 3g 64gb, Note
Unhappy K3 Freeze, won't reset, and sending it back is not an option. helpp~

Hi,
Suddenly while reading , my K3 froze up.. and i just used it for a week .
i tried the 15, 30, 1min, 5min slide button reset trick, but no luck . it's still dead as doornail, except for the green blinking light .

when i connected the device to PC, it shows as a normal Kindle usb device, with all my books inside. so, can i reset it via PC?

I am from Malaysia, and i ordered the device via proxy shipping service. to send it back and forth to Amazon for warranty claim would cost me a handsome amount of money and also time (i waited for 3 whole weeks for my K3 to arrive), so i best keep it as my last resort.

help~
any advise would be appreciated.

fyrogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
You can still get Amazon CS to call you - you could be a US person travelling overseas! Or email them using your account. If their suggestions dont work, then they will send you a replacement (again, you could be travelling) to your address in Malaysia. And if they send you a replacement, ask for a credit of shipping costs to your account as it it a warranty issue (allow $35 postage)

When you did the 20 second thing, you need to make sure your kindle isnt attached to a power source. I would keep trying that, and count exactly to 20 seconds before releasing the wake switch.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
fyrogenesis
Undead

thanks for the reply.

i tried pulling out the power but still no luck. even holding the button until my thumb went numb.

i will try email them Amazon, then. (i don't want to phone as my English is crappy )

Old 11-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
These instructions come from the Troubleshooting page of the Amazon Kindle Support Site. It seems like you need to connect your Kindle to wall power for a few hours before trying to reset it again.

Quote:
1. Unplug Kindle from power adapter or computer.
2. Slide and release the power button. The LED light that surrounds the power button will display green for two seconds.
3. Shut down Kindle by sliding and holding the power button for five seconds. The LED light will blink three times. Wait for the screen to go blank, then release the power button.
4. Turn on the Kindle by sliding and releasing the power button.
5. If Kindle is still not working, you can perform a hard reset by sliding and holding the power button for 15 seconds.
6. If Kindle is still unresponsive, try charging Kindle before trying to restart the device once again.
7. Make sure you have the latest software version available installed on your Kindle. The latest version is available here: www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates

If you continue to experience problems, please contact us.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:47 AM   #5
fyrogenesis
Undead

already tried charging for a few hours but no avail.. so now it become more and more convincing that my K3 is dead.

ah.. they told me to call them. i just figured that calling from here to US would cost me a handsome amount of money also. tough luck.. i beginning to regret my decision getting a K3. i felt like crying.

maybe the Amazon team is skipping the QC a bit, so that's why K3 can be so cheap?

*mybe will call them but not soon*

thanks for the reply

Last edited by fyrogenesis; 11-29-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
joffry
joffry began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I had this happen to me yesterday, called tech support and here are their instructions:
1 unplug kindle from any power sources
2 slide buttom to the right and hold for a slow 20 count and then release
3 wait, took almost a minute for procedure to start working and reboot to start.
good luck.
joffry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
I had a similar problem with mine, it turned out to be amazon's official cover (not lighted). After a call to customer service they admitted they'd had some problems with that. Removed the cover and haven't had a problem since. So if you have a cover try without it. I know that sounds insane, but try.
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
The hinges?
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joffry View Post
I had this happen to me yesterday, called tech support and here are their instructions:
1 unplug kindle from any power sources
2 slide buttom to the right and hold for a slow 20 count and then release
3 wait, took almost a minute for procedure to start working and reboot to start.
good luck.
It can take several minutes for the reboot procedure to start -- if you get impatient and start sliding the button too soon again - it will only delay or stop the process.

Do steps 1 & 2, then go make a sandwich or something - let the process have a chance to start - - and run its course.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
fallsauce
fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3
Someone in another thread said you could call Amazon CS for free by using skype (or was it google talk?). I haven't tried it myself, but maybe give that a shot?
fallsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
fyrogenesis
Undead

thanks for the reply, guys. but i have already tried that and that until my thumb went numb. the green led blinking like its mean business, but nothing happened to the screen.

ahh.. i ended up gave that thing (the K3.. reduced to 'the thing' from 'the device' from 'the ereader' from 'the great erader' in my dictionary) a smack or two just a few minutes ago, but no.. it's no good. can i karate it now?

i emailed amazon again, gave some excuses that i cannot call by phone. but they insist on calling-to-troubleshoot. sehh..

*to those anyone outside supported countries, thinking buying this thing.. i strongly suggest you don't. i have no problem with failing devices, but come on.. after one week of usage? my respect to amazon dropped a few below ground level at this moment.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrogenesis View Post
i tried the 15, 30, 1min, 5min slide button reset trick, but no luck . it's still dead as doornail, except for the green blinking light .

when i connected the device to PC, it shows as a normal Kindle usb device, with all my books inside. so, can i reset it via PC?
If your Kindle connects to a PC and you can see all your files, the Kindle is not dead. There is something else going on here.

Did you install any hacks on your K3?
What firmware version are you on (3.0.0, 3.0.1, 3.0.2, 3.0.3)?
Keep tryig the 15-20 sec restart (no longer than that). There is a bit on the support page saying to wait 5-10 mins after releasing the switch.

The green blinking light should be happening.

Quote:
Green light at bottom of Kindle is blinking.

Possible cause:

1. The green LED light in the power switch at the bottom of your Kindle blinks when waking up your Kindle or putting it to sleep, and when shutting down your Kindle. Your Kindle is functioning normally.
Quote:
If these steps do not resolve the issue, you can reset your Kindle. Unplug your Kindle from the outlet or computer, slide and hold power button for 15 seconds, and wait for 5-10 minutes.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
It can take several minutes for the reboot procedure to start -- if you get impatient and start sliding the button too soon again - it will only delay or stop the process.

Do steps 1 & 2, then go make a sandwich or something - let the process have a chance to start - - and run its course.
Sound advice. I have had the exact issue the OP describes happen to me at least three times. Twice with my DX - first time even Amazon CS declared it beyond hope - and the other week with my K3. Once initial panic and subsequent impatience with the full-on reboot process has died down, it's come back to life every time.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #14
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
If your Kindle connects to a PC and you can see all your files, the Kindle is not dead. There is something else going on here.

Did you install any hacks on your K3?
What firmware version are you on (3.0.0, 3.0.1, 3.0.2, 3.0.3)?
Keep tryig the 15-20 sec restart (no longer than that). There is a bit on the support page saying to wait 5-10 mins after releasing the switch.

The green blinking light should be happening.
I agree.

I am thinking you have installed the font hacks. My screen went blank too and I could not get it to show anything until I reinstalled the original font files. Then it worked perfectly again.

If so, you need to connect your kindle to your PC and copy the original fonts back into the font file. NiLuJe may have put a copy on the Hacks page, I have a copy of them but not sure how to get them to you. Maybe someone else knows.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:09 AM   #15
fyrogenesis
Undead

Thanks for the replies.

Yea. i had installed the font hack, but i had uninstall them a few days before the froze. So i dont think it was the cause.

Anyway, no hurt in trying, i will try asking NiLuJe for help.

*please oo God, make my K3 work again*