Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 06:40 AM   #1
pensaro1
pensaro1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Esperanto characters

I use OpenOffice as my primary document creator. It allows me to save as doc., pdf., pdb. and other formats. My problem is that the pdb.format displays Esperanto characters as ???. Does anyone know a way to have these display correctly? Thanks, Pensaro1.
pensaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
pensaro1

Hi. Its me again. I don't seem to be getting anywhere with this problem (Esperanto characters) so I was wondering if anyone can tell me how they create pdb files with other languages which have accented characters? Thanks in advance, Pensaro1.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensaro1 View Post
Hi. Its me again. I don't seem to be getting anywhere with this problem (Esperanto characters) so I was wondering if anyone can tell me how they create pdb files with other languages which have accented characters? Thanks in advance, Pensaro1.
If you need to make these characters in PML you will need to code the digits directly. If you use the eReader professional program it will make them for you I believe (but it costs about $30). See the wiki eReader for more details on PML and the eReader web site has information on this including a character map of eReader characters. Also look here: http://www.ereader.com/ereader/help/...characters.htm

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 10-14-2009 at 01:26 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:08 AM   #4
pensaro1

Esperanto characters

Hi there Dale. Thanks for the advice. I have actually seen that character list before and it doesn't have the characters I need. There are a couple such as the 's' acute that I could use but few others.
I can reformat from ODT to PDB in Open Office but then the Esperanto characters come up as ????. I could use PML as I have info about how to do that but, without the right codes I can't insert them. I had a similar problem on my blog which I fixed by changing the encoding for pages from UTF8 to ISO-5589-1 (?) ( I think its Latin 1). As someone who is a techno-toddler(taking first tentative steps into the scary world of !CODE!) I am not sure how to proceed. Pensaro1.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I would suggest you email eReader support. It sounds like they don't have your characters. So far as I know the list is complete, but perhaps they can add some in the future release.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
pensaro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would suggest you email eReader support. It sounds like they don't have your characters. So far as I know the list is complete, but perhaps they can add some in the future release.
Hi there. I finally got an answer from Ereader support to the effect that non standard characters are not supported so it looks like a no-go on this issue. Thanks for trying to help anyway. Pensaro1. .

Tags
pdb format