Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-31-2016, 09:57 AM   #91
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Scratches head . . . .

I think you are correct, that mount was left over from an earlier run of the script.

And **I think** the bridge code in the most recent 'hotfix' is suppose to bridge RP across updates.

My KT3 is still running 5.8.5 (I am testing various ways to block OTA on this newer firmware).
I will see if the RP install works (or rather, fails) in the same manner.
If the problem is a matter of its scripting, my mind might still be agile enough to fix it.
Anything more complicated than that will have to wait for someone else to do the work.

(Due to age, I have already had to give up Wine, Woman, and Song - programming is next to go.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #92
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
I just thought of something. Does a firmware upgrade touch the diag partition? If not, perhaps the problem is only true for the newest issued KT3 units.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:21 AM   #93
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
I just thought of something. Does a firmware upgrade touch the diag partition? If not, perhaps the problem is only true for the newest issued KT3 units.

Dave
As far as is known, no.

The diags OS is burned into the eMMC prior to assembly and no one has ever seen an Amazon update that contains a diags update.
The package format supports updating diags, so that might change at any moment.

Another random thought -
Did you have the USB cable disconnected when trying to do the install?
Old 12-31-2016, 11:27 AM   #94
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
As far as is known, no.

The diags OS is burned into the eMMC prior to assembly and no one has ever seen an Amazon update that contains a diags update.
The package format supports updating diags, so that might change at any moment.

Another random thought -
Did you have the USB cable disconnected when trying to do the install?
I believe so, but I will be happy to try again and be sure. I assume that if this works I should reinstall the CRP as well?

Dave
Old 12-31-2016, 11:33 AM   #95
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I believe so, but I will be happy to try again and be sure. I assume that if this works I should reinstall the CRP as well?

Dave
I do not know.
But it should not hurt.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:54 PM   #96
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
I do not know.
But it should not hurt.
Attempting again after the restart appears to have duplicated the first error I recieved. Same message about return code 1 and a missing file, looks like the same number of eips: messages but I didn't count. If you want I will post the log for this run as well.

So it does appear that the script does not clean up after itself when an error occurs and leaves the diag partition mounted. The error I am encountering implies to me that there has been some sort of a change to the diag partition at least on this KT3 unit. As the RP install did work for some period any dump I was to take of this for inspection would not reflect the initial state. Perhaps someone with a new KT3 could dump it if the script writer needs to see what is there.

Dave
Old 01-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #97
knc1
Going Viral

Just knowing that having the diags system mounted is a left-over from the script and not a change made by Lab126 is enough information.

I will see if I can duplicate the problem under 5.8.5 vs. your 5.8.7

Working on RP and CRP was one of the very last things NiLuJe did before leaving for school.
Those changes might not be as well tested as the work he normally does (and he didn't have the actual devices to test on).
Old 01-01-2017, 03:34 PM   #98
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Dave
At least part of the problem is the installation script's handling of failure conditions during the process.

There are 28 tests and none of them "undo" what has already been done.
Oops.

But the good news, is that the failure you are getting is the very first change and a re-boot will do away with the change.

As to why it doesn't work ....
Still need to check into that question.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #99
knc1
Going Viral

There where two firmware updates between 5.8.5 and 5.8.7 for the KT3 (neither of which is number 5.8.6 - but that is Lab126 at work).

There is nothing of the 'easy to find' flavor differences in the file system layout of 5.8.5 and 5.8.7

For the KT3 -
They extended the number of Korean fonts ;
They added the Ember fonts ;
They updated the BookWizard ;
and made a few cosmetic changes to control files.

More difficult to find differences will take longer to enumerate.
(Thankfully, I now have the new 2TiB storage array working.)

= = = = =

Do we know if RP would install on KT3-5.8.5 ?

Last edited by knc1; 01-01-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #100
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Do we know if RP would install on KT3-5.8.5 ?
Good question. Searching this thread mine and yours are the only mentions of KT3 at all regardless of firmware level. Perhaps you should open a new topic for KT3 owners to post to about their success or lack thereof with the RP.

Dave
Old 01-01-2017, 10:02 PM   #101
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Good question. Searching this thread mine and yours are the only mentions of KT3 at all regardless of firmware level. Perhaps you should open a new topic for KT3 owners to post to about their success or lack thereof with the RP.

Dave
We don't have a KT3 prefix.
I know, it has been nearly a year, but I don't know how to hurry up Alex.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #102
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Dave
The earliest system image file I have is 5.8.1.1
So I switched to using that as a base.

There has been a significant change in the startup scripting (which RP has to modify):
Code:
-Kindle 5.8.1.1 (~~otaVersion~~)
+Kindle 5.8.7 (~~otaVersion~~)
Only in 5811/etc: rc0.d
Only in 5811/etc: rc1.d
Only in 5811/etc: rc2.d
Only in 5811/etc: rc3.d
Only in 5811/etc: rc4.d
Only in 5811/etc: rc5.d
Only in 5811/etc: rc6.d
Only in 5811/etc: rcS.d
Not yet looked at what all that change involves, but it certainly has changed if the files are no longer there.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #103
dhdurgee
Guru

Given what you are finding it certainly sounds like the RP script will need to change. As the KT3 I was working on will be going to Japan in a bit over a week, it may not be ready. Given that, I guess I should remove the CRP from it, as without the RP installed I am unsure if my son would be able to recover from an inadvertent restart while plugged into USB.

Dave
Old 01-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #104
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Given what you are finding it certainly sounds like the RP script will need to change. As the KT3 I was working on will be going to Japan in a bit over a week, it may not be ready. Given that, I guess I should remove the CRP from it, as without the RP installed I am unsure if my son would be able to recover from an inadvertent restart while plugged into USB.

Dave
The CRP requires the RP to work.

I would take them both off the device, at least for now.

Answering a few questions and getting RP to work (because I want to use it also) is about the limit of my involvement here.

At the moment, we only support 72 of the 76 Kindle models.
That will probably get worse before it gets better.
geekmaster doesn't have the time and I don't have the ability to keep things current here.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:41 PM   #105
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
The CRP requires the RP to work.

I would take them both off the device, at least for now.

Answering a few questions and getting RP to work (because I want to use it also) is about the limit of my involvement here.

At the moment, we only support 72 of the 76 Kindle models.
That will probably get worse before it gets better.
geekmaster doesn't have the time and I don't have the ability to keep things current here.
CRP is off. RP does not have an uninstaller, but then again you said it broke on the first step anyway.

Dave