Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The Vivo Tab and the Taichi are full fledged PCs. Bigger screens, full multi-tasking, running all Windows, full Flash, no limitations. Comparing them to the Ipad is like comparing cars to bicycles.

Still, just read yesterday that MS confirmed that the RT Surface will be 299 and 799 for the full Windows surface tablets. So there will be low priced versions available. This is high-end.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
How are the prices high?
Take the RT model for example. It comes with 32GB of internal storage, so let's compare it to the 32GB 3rd gen iPad.
Because you're comparing one overpriced tablet with another overpriced tablet.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #18
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
And still, at least the first "overpriced tablet" sells like hell...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #19
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
If you're going to buy the tablet and dock, why not just get an ultra book?
My thought exactly! Can't do near as much on a tablet as a nice laptop, so I would never pay more for a tablet!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #20
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Time will tell on this. Have to wait to see what Acer et al have to say. I do expect these to make iPads look reasonable. It's a different solution for a different market. We provided executives with iPads. They liked the iPads but only as a toy. With these tabs, you are really buying a PC whose screen jstisons off the system, sprouts a different user interface, and keeps working. At work, my laptop has two large displays plus its own screen. When I 'dock' the laptop, email and an IM client run on its screen while the real work happens on the other two. At the end of the day, I unplug the laptop and take it home. The laptop was more than $1k, so this all seems realistic to me.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #21
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
And still, at least the first "overpriced tablet" sells like hell...
That overpriced tablet has an Apple logo on the back, arguably the slickest current tablet UI, and, I believe, the biggest app collection.

I can't see many home users choosing a Windows tablet when they could have an iPad for less, and I'm not convinced there's much of a business market.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #22
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Just remember that it's Asus, the people putting together the Nexus 7, as well as their history of generally overpriced laptop lines of mediocre build quality.

I expect Acer will come in with a few lower priced models however they will no doubt be lacking in the build quality and come with horrific bundled software as per usual.

I do think that a middle ground will start to show up, but I doubt that'll happen in the first gen and will most likely take someone like HP or Toshiba (if they're playing this game) to get nice robust business line up, so that people stop trying to make horribly engineered flashy toys and focus a bit on the price/quality aspect.

Hopefully we get better non-Androidzzz free-OS/DE support in the long run as companies look into them as has not really happened with the current ARM stuff (closed graphics cores, wheee).
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #23
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
That overpriced tablet has an Apple logo on the back, arguably the slickest current tablet UI, and, I believe, the biggest app collection.

I can't see many home users choosing a Windows tablet when they could have an iPad for less, and I'm not convinced there's much of a business market.
Perhaps the few people who use Wndows laptops and desktops may consider them. I know I will be hoping for a pice drop, but will most likely get one eventually.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #24
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Perhaps the few people who use Wndows laptops and desktops may consider them.
Why? It won't run their existing software (unless they pay more for the Atom version), won't have the Windows UI they've been using for years, and even if they get the keyboard dock that just makes it a crappy netbook for three times the price of a real crappy netbook.

The last time I remember home users getting excited about a new version of Windows was 1995.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #25
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The Vivo Tab and the Taichi are full fledged PCs. Bigger screens, full multi-tasking, running all Windows, full Flash, no limitations. Comparing them to the Ipad is like comparing cars to bicycles.
I wasn't comparing the Vivo Tab and the Taichi to the iPad, I compared them to the RT, and I compared the RT to the iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Still, just read yesterday that MS confirmed that the RT Surface will be 299 and 799 for the full Windows surface tablets. So there will be low priced versions available. This is high-end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
All high-end tablets come at this price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
My thought exactly! Can't do near as much on a tablet as a nice laptop, so I would never pay more for a tablet!
The point with the Vivo Tab is that you can, and you can do more because of the touchscreen. People who buy a tablet do so because they don't need a keyboard and/or they want to use the touchscreen (handwritten notes, drawing, etc.). Also the docking comes with extended battery which some people might find useful as well as giving protection during transport.

Quote:
Because it packs more power then the iPad model with the same price. And because there are still programs that will only run on windows. Maybe they aren't running on windows 8 yet, but they will.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #26
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
One thing to keep in mind about Office 2013 is that the RT version, that is, the version intended to run on ARM devices, is a "crippled" version of Office. For example, there is no macro support in Word or pivot table support in Excel. I had been thinking about getting a Windows 8 tablet but I rely on Word and Word macros in my business, so the ARM-based devices won't work for me; I need the "pro" versions.

If I'm just looking to view streamed movies or check e-mail, seems to me that my Nook Tablet works just fine and no need to buy yet another device.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #27
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Still trying to figure out if I like the $99 for a year of MS Office on 5 PC's subscription offer.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ike-it-or-not/
I predict within a couple years that will be the only way you can have Office. I think MS would love to do away with perpetual licensing completely.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #28
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Why? It won't run their existing software (unless they pay more for the Atom version), won't have the Windows UI they've been using for years, and even if they get the keyboard dock that just makes it a crappy netbook for three times the price of a real crappy netbook.

The last time I remember home users getting excited about a new version of Windows was 1995.
I'm not crazy about tablets, and/or touchscreens. I have a tablet which I rarely use although it works quite well.

My roommate has an iPad 3 which is nice and shiny and all, but neither of us is too excited about it.

I am not a diehard Windows fan, but until something significantly better for my use comes along I will continue using it.

The Asus may be crappy (obviously you have used it) but I am not a jump on the bandwagon sort of gal and I expect that hardware and Microsoft will come up with something pretty acceptable if not better eventually. Time will tell.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #29
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I predict within a couple years that will be the only way you can have Office. I think MS would love to do away with perpetual licensing completely.
It is really hard to tell. Unlike some businesses, Microsoft does listen to the outcry of their customers. That is especially true when it comes to maintaining the status quo. Example: supporting legacy products ensures that they keep their customer base, which is why they still support XP. If I recall correctly, XP was release when Apple was still selling Mac OS 9 on PowerPC computers. I'm fairly certain that Windows 7 (32-bit) still runs software from the days when Apple was selling System 7.1 on 680x0 processors. Almost any other company would have told their customers to get real and upgrade numerous times in that period.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
If you're going to buy the tablet and dock, why not just get an ultra book?
When I tear the keyboard off my ultrabook in order to be able to carry it around without a keyboard, I find that it has a detrimental effect on the device's functionality.

The whole point of this is that you sometimes want to use it with a keyboard (eg for typing stuff) and sometimes without (eg for reading).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote