Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #91
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Didn't realize you lived in NYC, I would think that if and when Verizon does Fios it would be to the main trunks in apartment buildings and from there it'd be copper unless your building is already fiber. For townhouses and single family homes I guess Verizon would deploy as they do in the suburbs. I'm a suburbanite and the block I live on was one of the first Verizon installed fiber. They don't blanket an entire community but skip around. My neighbor a couple of courts away didn't get fiber until 8 months after I did. My only quibble with Verizon is their cheap router but I took theirs out and had mine installed before the tech slammed the door on his truck in my driveway.

My cable modem and my router are separate devices. Just got a replacement modem from my cable company, after an assortment of problems I thought were on their end turned out to me my old original modem failing. The router is a Linksys WRT54G v2. That model uses an embedded Linux kernel. Because it's Linux based, Linksys made the firmware open source, and an assortment of folks grabbed it and hacked. I'm running a third-party build called Tomato I'm quite happy with. (My SO is bemused to see me run vi on the router to diddle config files... )

Quote:
I can turn off the backlight but I found out yesterday it actually works great outside if I turn the backlight all the way up. Usually I keep it about 20% but all the way up worked great outside with the sun coming over my shoulder.
At what cost in battery life? Screen brightness is the biggest factor in battery life on my Zodiac, and I normally keep it dialed was down (like to about 10%) to save the battery.

Quote:
What I really dislike about the Touch is no stylus, I'm constantly fat fingering the durn thing. Eventually, I'll get used to it.
Yeach, I'm used to a stylus as well.

Quote:
I'm only using the Touch as a back up reading device but I'm hoping eReader on it improves. Right now when you go to your bookshelf at eReader/Fictionwise your books are listed with the most recent first at least I'm pretty sure that's the way it's done. You can only scroll through the list, haven't figured out a way to search. Once the books are on the Touch, you just have a listing. I would love to able to use folders and have a real directory. (Also would love that on my Kindle.)
On Palm devices, there aren't folders either in ereader. It began in the days when Palm devices didn't have expansion cards, and everything resided in RAM. eReader substitutes Categories you can place books in, and show a list by category.

Two problems, though: first, ereader keeps the category data in the ebook, in a field reserved for it, rather than an external library list. Second, there's a Palm OS limit of 16 categories.

eReader is a secondary reader here, so it's not a huge imposition, but I hope it behaves differently on other platforms.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!