Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
yahalome
yahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with others

Device: kidnle touch
Post etcl on kindle

I copied the embedded tcl 'etcl' http://www.evolane.com/software/etcl/ to the kindle and played with the tcl part. tcl works just great. when I try to run the Tk part it seems to work but nothing is shown. I used the "Gui Launcher" but on launch no gui is seen. also in xtrem I do not see a thing but no error.
any hints on how to approach this? I am not an expert so I probably miss something fundamental.
yahalome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
For the GUI to work on the kindle, it needs eink support. Even if it has framebuffer support, you need to trigger eink updates. That can be added to the code, or it can run as a background script the way Jesse Vincent did it for Savory (Qt/Calibre ported to run on the kindle).

Depending on WHICH kindle, it needs some input handling too (DX and K3 use different keycodes for their keyboards, K4 needs a 5-way joypad controlled onscreen keyboard, K5 needs a touchscreen onscreen keyboard and touchscreen mouse emulation). None of these are trivial.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Googling suggests that there are eTcl versions with X11 support.

If yours has then you still have to set the correct window title for anything to be shown. The KT environment uses the X11 window title for deciding how to stack and display the X11 windows. See this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162022.

For a quick test of a X11 program you don't need to do anything else as the touch event on the KT is mapped to a standard X11 left mouse click event.
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaak View Post
Googling suggests that there are eTcl versions with X11 support.

If yours has then you still have to set the correct window title for anything to be shown. The KT environment uses the X11 window title for deciding how to stack and display the X11 windows. See this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162022.

For a quick test of a X11 program you don't need to do anything else as the touch event on the KT is mapped to a standard X11 left mouse click event.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
yahalome
yahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with othersyahalome plays well with others

Smile

I played some more and found that the only thing that was missing in the tcl code was the line:

wm overrideredirect $wname on (where wname is the window name)

I was able to run the etcl demos of the calculator and the ataxx game after adding this line. I also created a launcher and then run nicely.

This means that existing Tk application with slight modification can run nicely on the kindle. of course the Etcl demos with the additional line need no further modification.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahalome View Post
I played some more and found that the only thing that was missing in the tcl code was the line:

wm overrideredirect $wname on (where wname is the window name)

I was able to run the etcl demos of the calculator and the ataxx game after adding this line. I also created a launcher and then run nicely.

This means that existing Tk application with slight modification can run nicely on the kindle. of course the Etcl demos with the additional line need no further modification.
Great news!

Now we need a new Tk prefix, and a new Tk index, for these new Tk apps.

P.S. Welcome to the 2600 club!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Where did you add that line?
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
yahalome

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Where did you add that line?
I just added it in the tcl code after the window was created. I also modified few other programs and they work great. I saw there is some issue with multiple windows but I did not investigate it.