Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #12001
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
Currently reading Down Among The Dead Men. Enjoying it so very interesting read, though not for those with weak stomachs!!!!!
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #12002
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Fantasy binge. I was reading Sheepfarmer's Daughter when I got a library notice of availability for The High King's Tomb (Green Rider series).
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #12003
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsmith View Post
now I'm on to "Rules of Prey".
So how was Rules of Prey? I plan on reading it soon. I've loaded it on my 650 earlier today.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #12004
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next is Roman Blood by Steven Saylor. He is/was a writer of gay erotica who is also an expert on ancient Rome. This is his first historical mystery. Cicero is one of the main characters.
Finished this today. It's described as historical fiction but it could be considered non-fiction(-ish). He describes Cicero's first recorded court case where he (using rhetoric and his oratory skills) has a man guilty of parricide judged innocent. Cicero wrote down the events of the case so all the book's characters are real although he may have (and probably did) embellish a few things. Cicero knew all along of his guilt. Very interesting. Lots of historical details of Rome in the first century BCE esp concerning Lucius Cornelius Sulla. The relationship between noble, citizen and slave was intriguing. I wish he sprinkled some Latin in the book. It's been so long since I brought out my Latin dictionary. Rated C- [2 stars]

Culpam poena premit comes; miseris succurere disco.

Next is Inherit the Stars by James Hogan.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #12005
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Finished this today. It's described as historical fiction but it could be considered non-fiction(-ish). He describes Cicero's first recorded court case where he (using rhetoric and his oratory skills) has a man guilty of parricide judged innocent. Cicero wrote down the events of the case so all the book's characters are real although he may have (and probably did) embellish a few things. Cicero knew all along of his guilt. Very interesting. Lots of historical details of Rome in the first century BCE esp concerning Lucius Cornelius Sulla. The relationship between noble, citizen and slave was intriguing. I wish he sprinkled some Latin in the book. It's been so long since I brought out my Latin dictionary. Rated C- [2 stars]
Wow, I really want to read this now, it sounds great! But why a C- rating?

Off to check the library...
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:08 AM   #12006
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Wow, I really want to read this now, it sounds great! But why a C- rating?

Off to check the library...
The writing should have been better. Dialogue was not authentic ancient Roman but more like northern Californian. He overuses certain words and phrases. He gave away the ending too soon and removed some of the intrigue.

Also, compared to other books I've read I felt it was just shy of previously rated "C."
Old 01-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #12007
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Currently reading "Life of Pi," which won the Man Booker prize in 2002.

This is a wonderful novel about courage and belief. It has a slow start, but it picks up speed and is absolutely riveting.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #12008
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The writing should have been better. Dialogue was not authentic ancient Roman but more like northern Californian. He overuses certain words and phrases. He gave away the ending too soon and removed some of the intrigue.

Also, compared to other books I've read I felt it was just shy of previously rated "C."
I really, really enjoy Steven Saylor's books. This first one in the series is certainly not the best; they get a LOT better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #12009
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Currently reading "Life of Pi," which won the Man Booker prize in 2002.

This is a wonderful novel about courage and belief. It has a slow start, but it picks up speed and is absolutely riveting.

Don
Absolutely loved that book!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #12010
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Absolutely loved that book!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #12011
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
But it's only $1.99
i bought it in paper. book 1&2.

pounded down Rogue Angel:Cradle of Solitude to cleanse my palate, they're always quick and fun reads.

now reading Den of Thieves by David Chandler. only about 50 pages in and i'm already blown away. the characters and the writing style are fun and theres a nice thread of light humor running through it.

"Born and raised in the squalid depths of the Free City of Ness, Malden became a thief by necessity. Now he must pay a fortune to join the criminal operation of Cutbill, lord of the underworld—and one does not refuse the master . . . and live.

The coronet of the Burgrave would fulfill Malden’s obligations, though it is guarded by hungry demons that would tear the soul from any interloper. But the desperate endeavor leads to a more terrible destiny, as Malden, an outlaw knight, and an ensorcelled lady must face the most terrifying evil in the land."

its currently only 99 cents on amazon and well worth it if you want a fun little fantasy or a "lighter" version of the Night Angel Trilogy.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #12012
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really, really enjoy Steven Saylor's books. This first one in the series is certainly not the best; they get a LOT better.
Thanks for the info.

Sometimes the author's first novel is their best and for some their latest.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #12013
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I finished "Transfer of Power" and now am reading "The Third Option" Mitch Rapp #2 (or four if you count the prequels that are coming out)
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #12014
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I finished "Transfer of Power" and now am reading "The Third Option" Mitch Rapp #2 (or four if you count the prequels that are coming out)
Unless things have changed since I got my eBook copies, both Transfer of Power and The Third Option were loaded with errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #12015
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Excellent series! Term Limits used to be considered part of the Mitch Rapp series even though Rapp isn't in it. If you plan to read the series, Term Limits is a good one to start with or read early on because it defines the recurring background characters.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote