Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #16
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Which isn't a tablet.
He was making a distinction between phone apps and tablet apps.
Fair enough, but many/most of the apps are for both, and I don't think he felt the iPhone is too small for anything more than text messaging and email. Apparently they feel that 3.5" is plenty big for games and other multimedia content.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #17
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
From what I've seen, the "mini" iPad is a misnomer. The current rumours speculate that it will be the same size as a regular iPad, but the technical specs will be pared down so it won't be as expensive as their regular iPad.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
From what I've seen, the "mini" iPad is a misnomer. The current rumours speculate that it will be the same size as a regular iPad, but the technical specs will be pared down so it won't be as expensive as their regular iPad.
More of an iPad Lite I guess.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
More of an iPad Lite I guess.
iPad Lite

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #20
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You're silly! lol

I had it for a little less than a year and was just ready to move on. I rooted it the first month of ownership, then I replaced the stock ROM about 6 months later.

Got tired of the weight. When it was released there was nothing to compare it to, so it was acceptable. Then the lighter Galaxy Tab 7 inch came on the scene. Eventually bigger and lighter tablets emerged. So, it's heavy compared to others now. I also wanted a bigger screen surprisingly and a microphone for recording notes. Settled on the Sony Tablet because it's a bit smaller than the 10 inch tablets and very comfortable to hold in portrait and landscape. The price is ridiculous, but so are many of the others.
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but did you consider the Visio 8"? I've been looking at it now that I've decided not to get the Kindle Fire. The Sony sounds good, but is too pricey for me right now.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #21
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but did you consider the Visio 8"? I've been looking at it now that I've decided not to get the Kindle Fire. The Sony sounds good, but is too pricey for me right now.
When I was shopping for tablets my number one concern was weight and being comfortable to hold. I did consider the Vizio though, but passed on it for those reasons. I know many of the tablets are pricey. I just reached a point where I found value in the Sony. It all comes down to personal needs/wants. I also kept reminding myself that I paid $400 for an eInk device (Sony 900) not too long ago!

The weight thing is totally subjective obviously.

Last edited by SCION; 10-14-2011 at 07:13 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #22
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
iPad Lite

Was that left in a bar somewhere by an Apple employee?
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
Was that left in a bar somewhere by an Apple employee?
LOL
Old 10-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #24
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
I can wait. I will not pay more than $250 for a good 10" tablet.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #25
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
I can wait. I will not pay more than $250 for a good 10" tablet.
That may be a while.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:49 AM   #26
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
That may be a while.
He already missed his perhaps only chance. He didn't get a Touchpad.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:25 AM   #27
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
That may be a while.
Maybe not. I hope Amazon Fire put some pressure to prices. And BTW I'm not asking for a $250 new 10" tablet. A refurb one will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
He already missed his perhaps only chance. He didn't get a Touchpad.
In my book, a tablet with an unsupported OS hardly qualify as "good."
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
In my book, a tablet with an unsupported OS hardly qualify as "good."
I agree. I got a TouchPad and it's nice; but it's webOS and the app selection sucks badly. But hey, for $99, I couldn't pass it up. So I'll use it to replace my netbook.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #29
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
My reaction is that these discussions are more wish list than real insight into Apple's plans. Different companies have different priorities on secrecy. The rumors that leak on Amazon aren't always perfect, but they often contain pieces of truth. Apple rumors, not so much -- they appear to be. More in the nature of fantasies.

Even in the weeks before the iPhone release we knew it was going to be an exclusive Sprint release of an iPhone 5 for six months. I can't remember how many times we expected an iPad announcement. And none has come.

It seems to me the discussion is whether you (each of us) would want a seven inch iPad if Apple would build one. Guessing whether they actually will build one doesn't seem as useful since these guesses tend to be wrong.

However, I do love me some good rumor discussions . Thanks LJ Sellers for pointing out this rumor. I'm not complaining about the thread, just opining that speculation when it comes to Apple is often wrong.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #30
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I agree. I got a TouchPad and it's nice; but it's webOS and the app selection sucks badly. But hey, for $99, I couldn't pass it up. So I'll use it to replace my netbook.
Let's also keep in mind that one will be able to run Android on it before too long.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, kindle fire, tablets