Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
mldisibio
Edge User

internal sdcard unmounted

I booted and got a notification that the sdcard was removed. This is the internal storage card, not an external one. The file explorer and library all show empty, whereas these had quite a number of files.
I have rebooted several times, and do not see any option to remount the card (unmount option is grayed out)
Any tips or similar experiances?
Thanks in advance

Old 12-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I have checked my edge, full size, and don't see any option to unmount/mount the internal SD card. Do you have an external SD card in your edge?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
mldisibio
Edge User

You are right, the unmount option is for an external sdcard, which I have never used, so that has nothing to do with my issue.
The notificaton says "Removed sdcard. Insert a new one". All storage shows empty folders.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
borisb
Edge User

Welcome to the forums, mldisibio

Just to be clear, the "external SD Card" is the one you insert at the bottom of the Reader side on the Pocket eDGe (or top of the Reader side on the enTourage eDGe).

Given that the file explorer isn't showing anything, it could be that the internal memory card or chip has become disconnected, or has failed, although noone in these forums has reported that in the past.

Your best bet is to contact Tech Support via www.entourageedge.com/support. Their business hours are Monday to Friday, so you may not receive a response until Monday.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Dr. T
Edge User

Wow, this is really strange. Please post when you get an idea from Tech Support regarding what the problem could be.

Boris- In response to your hypothesis, is the internal storage of the PE or EE something that can be disconnected, yet have all of the boot files, etc. still in place?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
mldisibio
Edge User

So,settings/device storage/app storage shows 222/322mb available, but internal storage shows 15.1/15.2mb available...I'm pretty sure that is supposed to be the 2gb internal sdcard.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
mldisibio
Edge User

Thanks all for such quick replies. And yes I can boot and run fine. I did not see any similar posts, so I will contact support, but just wanted to check first. I agree, seems like a bad card connection, but I would not know where to look. Thanks again.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
Boris- In response to your hypothesis, is the internal storage of the PE or EE something that can be disconnected, yet have all of the boot files, etc. still in place?
This guessing on my part is based on a similar Linux-based device from Always Innovating, which is used an open source "motherboard" (Beagleboard I think was the name if you want to Google it). The "Internal SD" card was an actual SD card inserted into an SD card socket soldered onto the motherboard itself. The CPU was actually a System-on-a-Chip (SOC) that had everything included, including system RAM (about 512 Mb) and flash ROM.

I've never seen the internals of an eDGe, nor has anyone anywhere posted pictures or descriptions. However, based on the eDGe's file system showing "intsdcard", "extsdcard" and "sdcard", etc., and the different "storages", and the fact that the Marvel chip in the eDGe is also a SOC, I'm guessing the eDGe is probably similar.

So, going back to that internal SD card, if you picture a little clip with an actual SD card inserted into it, you can see how it possibly could be partially inserted, or ever so slightly dislodged. Picture the SIM card clip underneath the battery in the typical cellphone.

mldisibio's report of 222/322 mb and 15.1/15.2 mb available really looks like just the SOC RAM is available. The system boots from the OS files loaded into the same RAM. The total RAM on the SOC on the eDGe is 512Mb if I remember right.

In any case, there's nothing mldisibio can do without opening (and voiding the warranty on) the eDGe.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
Dr. T
Edge User

Thanks for the explanation. It is always good to understand a bit more about how a device works.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:15 AM   #10
sjarrel
Edge User

Yes, thank you indeed for this explanation. We already knew you are very clever. You really know it all! When do you start "wikiborisb.com"?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #11
borisb
Edge User

What's a wiki?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
What's a wiki?
Ward Cunningham, the developer of the first wiki software, described it as "the simplest online database that could possibly work". Wiki also is a Hawaiian word for "fast".

Old 12-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
borisb
Edge User

Sorry, sjarrel - I should have used a wink instead I was playing dumb Interesting facts, though!

Old 12-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
kveroneau
Edge User

Using a standard terminal emulator on the eDGe(without root), running the mount command, provides this information:

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext2 ro,errors=continue 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,size=16384k 0 0
varrun /var/run tmpfs rw 0 0
varlock /var/lock tmpfs rw 0 0
ubi:system /system ubifs ro 0 0
ubi:userdata /data ubifs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
ubi:cache /cache ubifs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
ubi:storage /intstorage ubifs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
ubi:storage /fridge ubifs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/block/loop0 /sdcard vfat rw,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_ utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8 0 0

The file /proc/mtd under Linux displays the Memory Technology Devices:

mtd0: BBM_reverse1
mtd1: bootloader-alt
mtd2: environment-alt
mtd3: kernel-alt
mtd4: kernelrecovery-alt
mtd5: maintenance
mtd6: Android
mtd7: MRVL_BBM
mtd8: bootloader
mtd9: bootcode
mtd10: environment
mtd11: kernel
mtd12: kernelrecovery

This is much more than my Android phone has, or even my SheevaPlug(made by Marvell).

There are more advanced Linux commands, but without root access, I am unable to utilize them to see more detailed information about the Android partition, which contains many ubifs partitions within it.

The point of my posting this, is that the internal SD card is located /intstorage/vfat.img, this file is then mounted using the Linux loop driver onto /sdcard. The information copied above is from a default set-up, whereas I am storing my Library on the Internal storage. You can use ES Explorer on your device to browse the root directory and see the vfat.img in the intstorage directory. You could easily back-up your entire storage by copying this file to an external SD card and mounting it on Linux, or using a similar application on Windows.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #15
djlooseleaf
Edge User

Were you ever able to remount your internal storage? I accidentally unmounted mine (the pocket edge powered down during a USB file transfer) and now have no access to the internal storage sd card!