Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-02-2021, 06:27 PM   #16
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
All typographic practices are silly to someone.

The practice being discussed has been around forever in print. A golden age of perfect (let alone consistent) typography never existed in print, and none will ever exist in ebooks, either. We can either pointlessly dwell on it, or we can just read the book (like we did with print). I choose the latter. YMMV.
I wish I could do it, I know that the vast majority of those who buy ebooks just read them but I can't. I see the spaces between the paragraphs and they disturb me, I see that there is no hyphenation and I want it. I see the indentation too small (11pt for example) and I need it bigger (at least 1.2em, even 1.5em). And I could go on with the ligatures that are not in Kepubs and then I use Koreader if there are notes or images in the book and so on.

I would better spend my time reading, but at least there is an advantage, at 50 I learned some basic concepts of css/html and learning new things is always a nice thing.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:31 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've encountered spaces between paragraphs in print quite a few times. With and without first line indents. Before I got rid of my bookshelves, I pulled down several examples of many "you didn't see crap like this in print" diatribes from Mobileread. That's why I always say the golden age of consistent print typesetting many people "remember" is a myth. There never has been a "standard."

Ragged right, space between paragraphs (every para, not just scene-breaks), huge first-line indents--it all happened in print and people lived with it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-02-2021 at 06:35 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2021, 06:35 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's why I always say the golden age of consistent print typesetting many people "remember" is a myth. There never has been a "standard."
But at least everyone who bought the same edition of the print book got the same typesetting. Compare to the same edition on multiple ereaders where the page display is, at best, rather variable.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:00 PM   #19
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I don't think there was ever a golden age of typography either. Before buying the Kindle in 2017 I was only reading paper books. Sometimes I was positively impressed by the typography of a book, sometimes I didn't like it at all but mostly I didn't even notice it. And anyway: I knew I couldn't change anything.

It started with hyphenation (Amazon's advanced typography): a book with advanced typography was without it and on the 6" screen of the Kindle it bothered me. I went crazy at first, then I realized I had to learn a little of css. And then I started noticing other things...

But I don't want to transform my preferences into rules for everybody. They will continue to produce "terrible" ebooks and I will continue to modify them before reading...

Last edited by ps67; 11-02-2021 at 07:07 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:01 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's fair.
Advert
Old 11-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #21
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
You can get the intended typesetting with PDF files that have embedded fonts, but that seems like a hassle.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:24 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Lots of little things bug me and I do edit my books..

Anyway, to add one thing in particular that seems extra stupid: setting the body text to font size: small. What lunatic is in charge of formatting? I've seen this in books from the Big Six (Big Five? whatever).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:37 AM   #23
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
HTML was made for manuals, not books, that's why is doesn't indent paragraphs and adds spaces between them.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:34 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's very little cost. Especially if you do MSS -> ebook, Edit MSS styles & format -> PDF
It's not that much effort to reformat once the eBook is done. I do it a lot. Once you know what you are doing, it does not take all that long.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:40 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The majority of pBooks I've read have indents, no paragraph space, justified, hyphenated, and a serif font. So that's the sort of look most are expecting.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The majority of pBooks I've read have indents, no paragraph space, justified, hyphenated, and a serif font. So that's the sort of look most are expecting.
Yes. Because, of course, you're entirely representative of the expectations of "most". Talk about a non sequitur.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:42 AM   #27
Mel
Connoisseur
Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android tablet
The thing that drives me crazy is when they bundle books together and then create a faux boxed set cover. Which defeats the whole purpose of a cover because they've angled the graphic so you can't read it.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:23 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
HTML was made for manuals, not books, that's why is doesn't indent paragraphs and adds spaces between them.
Purely depends on the CSS.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
The thing that drives me crazy is when they bundle books together and then create a faux boxed set cover. Which defeats the whole purpose of a cover because they've angled the graphic so you can't read it.
Speaking of "box sets", I rather dislike it when the formatting is different between books in the set.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:08 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
That's the default with no CSS. But CSS was made to be able to change the default style. So you can have indents and no paragraph spaces.