Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-13-2021, 04:20 PM   #571
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
Sorry was not back quicker:
I am on Calibre: 5.31

Here is the web page from Goodreads
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58259039

Author: J. R. Hogan
Title: The Lost Girls
Series: Dino Island [1]

The same thing occurred with Books 2 and 3 in series.

The metadata it gets includes customer reviews, other titles recommended, all the way to the GoodReads copyright tag at the end of the page.

And then just to be sure it was not a problem with this series I checked:

Author: Richard Castle
Title: Driving Heat
Series: Nikki Heat [7]

I tried again with:
Author: Poul Anderson & Karen Anderson
Title: The Unicorn Trade

ANY meta download choice with "See at: Goodreads," (for this title See at: Goodreads, Google, Amazon.com, 9781497694293) includes the entire Goodreads page.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:23 PM   #572
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBook View Post
ANY meta download choice with "See at: Goodreads," (for this title See at: Goodreads, Google, Amazon.com, 9781497694293) includes the entire Goodreads page.
I'm unsure what "See at: Goodreads," is referring to. I placed all of the titles you gave us, downloaded the metadata and my description for each book is exactly what is shown as the description on the Goodreads page.

Here is the log file from my metadata download of The Lost Girls.

Spoiler:
Running identify query with parameters:
{'title': 'The Lost Girls', 'authors': ['J.R. Hogan'], 'identifiers': {'goodreads': '58259039'}, 'timeout': 30}
Using plugins: Goodreads (1, 5, 1)
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Goodreads (1, 5, 1) ******************************
Found 1 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 0.9882314205169678

---
Title : The Lost Girls
Author(s) : J. R. Hogan
Publisher : Locksmith Books
Series : Dino Island #1
Languages : eng
Rating : 1.9
Published : 2021-06-04T00:00:00+00:00
Identifiers : goodreads:58259039
Comments : <p>I’ve spent my life learning about dinosaurs, assuming they were all gone… </p>
<p>But now some very real prehistoric predators are chasing a group of beautiful women… </p>
<p>Who are very interested in chasing me. </p>
<p>How did I get into this mess? </p>
<p>One minute, I was a highly respected professor of paleontology, engaging my students with stories of a completely different world. The next minute, I’d been mysteriously transported to that world, complete with every exotic danger I could imagine. </p>
<p>I knew enough about dinosaurs to scrape by with my own life – but suddenly I had to protect four beautiful women from the jungle’s mysterious and terrifying threats. </p>
<p>They trust me to protect them, and I intend to fulfill them. </p>
<p>But it turns out that they’re expecting me to give them much more than I bargained for…</p>
identify - start. title=The Lost Girls, authors=['J.R. Hogan'], identifiers={'goodreads': '58259039'}
Goodreads book url: 'https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58259039-aaaa'
parse_title:: title_text='The Lost Girls'
parse_authors - author: J.R. Hogan
parse_authors - author: J.R. Hogan
parse_details - goodreads_id: 58259039, mi: Title : The Lost Girls
Author(s) : J.R. Hogan
parse_series: series_node[0]='b'<a class="greyText" href="/series/330444-dino-island">\n (Dino Island #1)\n</a>''
parse_series: series_text='(Dino Island #1)'
parse_series: series_text='(Dino Island #1)'
parse_series: series_text after stripping parantheses='Dino Island #1'
parse_series: series_name='Dino Island', series_index_str='#1'
parse_series: returning - series_name='Dino Island', series_index='1.0'
Error parsing ASIN for url: 'https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58259039-aaaa'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads.worker", line 184, in parse_details
KeyError: 'getAsin'

parse_rating: rating_node= [<Element span at 0x2aa45a96940>]
parse_rating: have rating node - rating_node[0].text=

_parse_language: Have language node
_parse_language: raw= English
_parse_language: ans= eng

************************************************** ******************************
The identify phase took 1.07 seconds
The longest time (0.988231) was taken by: Goodreads
Merging results from different sources
We have 1 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds

Here is the log file from my metadata download of The Unicorn Trade.

Spoiler:
Running identify query with parameters:
{'title': 'The Unicorn Trade', 'authors': ['Poul Anderson', 'Karen Anderson'], 'identifiers': {'goodreads': '23547107'}, 'timeout': 30}
Using plugins: Goodreads (1, 5, 1)
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Goodreads (1, 5, 1) ******************************
Found 1 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 1.019040584564209

---
Title : The Unicorn Trade
Author(s) : Poul Anderson & Karen Anderson
Publisher : Open Road Media Sci-Fi Fantasy
Tags : Fantasy, Science Fiction, Short Stories, Unicorns, Anthologies, Poetry
Rating : 1.6
Published : 1984-03-15T00:00:00+00:00
Identifiers : goodreads:23547107, isbn:9781497694293
Comments : <p><strong>A potpourri of poetry and amazing tales that cross genre borders, between fantasy, horror, noir, science fiction, and more, from the legendary Poul Anderson and his wife, Karen Anderson</strong> </p>
<p>Lyrical and beautiful, enchanting and strange, exhilarating and horrific, this extraordinary collaboration between science fiction–fantasy luminary Poul Anderson and his equally creative wife, Karen, almost defies description. Combining their extraordinary talents, the Andersons have produced a sumptuous feast of the written word—stories that delight, move, and disturb, mixed with rich, sumptuous poetry that soars. </p>
<p>A truly stunning collection, <em>The Unicorn Trade</em> transports readers to places at once uniquely strange and strangely familiar—magical fairy realms, the far reaches of outer space, and the twisted minds of madmen. Stories of love, loss, and self-discovery are met with soaring verse that celebrates the human spirit and the wonders of the universe. Here are unforgettable bounding leaps of the imagination, where detective noir is ingeniously reimagined, and tales of Edgar Allan Poe–like suspense stand side by side with poignant tributes to the men who led us to the stars. Real treasures are to be found here—a hungry Olympian god’s interactions with a divine computer, a murdered man’s shrewd revenge, an Earthling’s con game on an unsuspecting Martian visitor, and other such flights of inventive fancy—in a sterling compendium of stories, poems, and science fiction haikus (scifaiku) as bright as starshine and more magical and enduring than fairy gold. </p>
identify - start. title=The Unicorn Trade, authors=['Poul Anderson', 'Karen Anderson'], identifiers={'goodreads': '23547107'}
Goodreads book url: 'https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23547107-aaaa'
parse_title:: title_text='The Unicorn Trade'
parse_authors - author: Poul Anderson
parse_authors - author: Karen Anderson
parse_authors - author: Poul Anderson
parse_authors - author: Karen Anderson
parse_details - goodreads_id: 23547107, mi: Title : The Unicorn Trade
Author(s) : Poul Anderson & Karen Anderson
Error parsing series for url: 'https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23547107-aaaa'
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads.worker", line 167, in parse_details
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads.worker", line 257, in parse_series
IndexError: list index out of range

Error parsing ASIN for url: 'https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23547107-aaaa'
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads.worker", line 184, in parse_details
KeyError: 'getAsin'

parse_rating: rating_node= [<Element span at 0x2ef5a7f76c0>]
parse_rating: have rating node - rating_node[0].text=

************************************************** ******************************
The identify phase took 1.07 seconds
The longest time (1.019041) was taken by: Goodreads
Merging results from different sources
We have 1 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-13-2021 at 06:32 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:17 PM   #573
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

When you tell Calibre to search for meta data, it comes back with 1, or 2 or 3 or 4 options of what it thinks the book might be.

Usually most are correct, but some might be from 1 provider, and other might be from another or 2-3 providers.

You can tell which provider its from by selecting and option and reading the info from that option, at the top, under the name/author/etc, it will list with links where that info comes from. "See at:" Google, Amazon, FantasticFiction, etc.

Any choice with Goodreads includes the entire Goodreads page...

pic 1: normal metadata choice entry.
pic 2: very long metadata choice entry which includes data from goodreads.
pic 3-5 shows contents of metadata from Goodreads.

If I select that Goodreads choice, all the info ends up in my book info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_001_13112021_185735.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	190204   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_002_13112021_185745.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	190205   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_003_13112021_185801.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	190206   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_004_13112021_185820.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	190207   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_006_13112021_185843.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	190208  
Old 11-13-2021, 07:48 PM   #574
JohnnyBook
Groupie

Additional info

Author: Poul Anderson
Title: Mayday Orbit
(Old Ace double book from the 60s)

Comes back with 4 entries, \
1`obviously wrong.
1 from Goodreads, (includes entire goodreads page)
1 from Google & Amazon with no description info
1 from Amazon (also includes entire amazon page)

So I am not sure whats going on with my system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_001_13112021_194137.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	190209   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_002_13112021_194145.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	190210   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_003_13112021_194158.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	190211   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_004_13112021_194205.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	190212  
Old 11-13-2021, 09:37 PM   #575
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can't replicate what you're seeing.

For fun try this, go into your Configure Download Metadata area and uncheck comments in the Amazon.com configuration or simply uncheck Amazon.com and don't use it as a download source. See if this makes a difference
Old 11-13-2021, 09:40 PM   #576
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I may have found your issue. Update to the latest calibre and I think you'll be fine.

Quote:
Bug fixes
  • 5.31.1 fixes a bug in an HTML serialization library calibre uses that broke a few things, such as the comments editor tool in the metadata dialog
Old 11-13-2021, 10:52 PM   #577
JohnnyBook
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I may have found your issue. Update to the latest calibre and I think you'll be fine.
As mentioned above, I am using 5.31.1. but a new version has just come out and I am upgrading to it now, (5.32.0)

While using 5.31.1, I tried unchecking comments unselecting Amazon.com, but Goodreads still had the problem.

EDIT: Upgrading to 5.32.0 appears to have fixed the problem. GoodReads and Amazon are both back to normal.

Thanks for the assistance.
Old 11-14-2021, 01:54 AM   #578
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
As mentioned above, I am using 5.31.1.
What you said you were using above was 5.31 which introduced the error. The error was recognized relatively quickly and 5.31.1 was released to correct the issue.

Quote:
EDIT: Upgrading to 5.32.0 appears to have fixed the problem. GoodReads and Amazon are both back to normal.

Thanks for the assistance.
You're welcome, I'm glad things are working for you again.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:08 AM   #579
JohnnyBook
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
What you said you were using above was 5.31 which introduced the error. The error was recognized relatively quickly and 5.31.1 was released to correct the issue.

You're welcome, I'm glad things are working for you again.
Oops your right, I miss read it when I wrote it. I was using 5.31
Old 11-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #580
KonradK
KonradK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle PW3
Recently I have experienced some problem. Seems like Goodreads plugin is acquiring extremely large amount of data from page. After that attempt to edit a metadata of affected ebook by Calibre requires several megabytes of memory.
Size of attached example metadata file is larger than size of ebook file.
Attached Files
File Type: opf metadata.opf (3.03 MB, 118 views)
KonradK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:30 AM   #581
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonradK View Post
Recently I have experienced some problem. Seems like Goodreads plugin is acquiring extremely large amount of data from page. After that attempt to edit a metadata of affected ebook by Calibre requires several megabytes of memory.
Size of attached example metadata file is larger than size of ebook file.
Update calibre to 5.32.0 and try again. There was a bug in 5.31.0 that caused similar problems with other metadata source plugins. There was a 5.31.1 released to fix this, but, not everyone saw it. I am fairly sure this will be fixed as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:14 AM   #582
KonradK
KonradK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Update calibre to 5.32.0 and try again. There was a bug in 5.31.0 that caused similar problems with other metadata source plugins. There was a 5.31.1 released to fix this, but, not everyone saw it. I am fairly sure this will be fixed as well.
Thanks. I will try it next time when I will add some ebook to the library, and I will report if the problem will continue.
KonradK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:38 AM   #583
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update to version 1.5.3

I have just updated the plugin to version 1.5.3. The changes in this version are:
  • Change: Cleanup in preparation for calibre 6/Qt6.
  • Fix: Use mobi-asin identifier

The latter was released as a beta some time ago and I had completely forgotten about it.

While this is being updated in preparation for calibre 6 and Qt6, this should still be backwardly compatible with older versions of calibre. But, I am no test with anything older than version 3.48.

The plugin should be announce by calibre in the next hour or so. If there are any problems, please report them here.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:15 AM   #584
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Question: Is there any way to have it retrieve information of a specific edition, or do I just need to resort to finding and copying the info manually? Mostly for physical books that have been reprinted a bunch of times.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:49 AM   #585
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Question: Is there any way to have it retrieve information of a specific edition, or do I just need to resort to finding and copying the info manually? Mostly for physical books that have been reprinted a bunch of times.
When you do a search, it will get the details from the edition that you select. There are options for getting multiple editions to select from. Or you can use the Goodreads Sync plugin to select the edition. If you already have a GR identifier, then it will get the information for whichever edition the GR identifier points is for

Tags
goodreads, metadata