Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2021, 10:06 PM   #1
Asaki
Asaki began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Nook HD+
Kobo Store - WalMart gift cards?

Hello. I'm not sure if there's a more appropriate place to post this, but this forum came up when I tried searching for an answer.

Does anyone know if there's a way to use WalMart gift cards to buy eBooks from the Kobo shop?

I saw in the Kobo store's help page somewhere, it said you could use them. So I got a $5 digital card from MyPoints, and I can't get it to work.
It's a 16-digit number with a 4-digit PIN.
At the Kobo page, if I click "Gift Cards" at the top, and then "Redeem Kobo Card", it says "enter your PIN", and just says "Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again later."
Doesn't matter if I put the 16-digits, or the 4-digits, or all 20-digits.
If I fill up my shopping cart and try adding the gift card at the payment page, the loading icon pops up and just spins forever and nothing happens.
I'm on a Windows PC using Firefox, BTW, but I've tried some other desktop browsers as well.

So I went to WalMart's online store, decided to try to use two $5 gift cards to buy one $10 Kobo gift card. I didn't think it would let me, but the payment went through and everything, and then I received an email:
"Sorry, we had to cancel your order
Unfortunately, order [number] was flagged due to location restrictions on placing and shipping orders. As a result, we had to cancel the order. We're sorry for any inconvenience this causes."
I'm in the US? I don't know what this means. Nothing on the website, that I could see, suggested that only certain locations could purchase Kobo gift cards.

The last thing I tried, I saw a post here on the forum, someone mentioned something about linking their WalMart account to their Kobo account, but as far as I can tell, it didn't do anything for me.

Anyway, I'll probably just give up and trade them to someone else for some PayPal, but if anyone knows how to make it work, that would be cool.
Asaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:57 PM   #2
JasperBeardly
Enthusiast
JasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I noticed on Walmart’s website that they sell a special gift card for ebooks. They’re not Kobo gift cards but Walmart ones that can only be used at Kobo.com. I know that’s strange. They sell them alongside the Kobo devices. I don’t know if that’s the type of gift card you tried to buy. If it wasn’t try buying that.

Edit to add never mind. I searched Walmart for Kobo gift cards and all it returned was the Walmart ones so that must be what you bought. Sorry I couldn’t help.

Last edited by JasperBeardly; 10-06-2021 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Never mind
JasperBeardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #3
Asaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperBeardly View Post
I noticed on Walmart’s website that they sell a special gift card for ebooks.
Yeah, that's probably the one I tried, "Walmart eBooks eGift Card $10".
Thanks, though.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I haven't yet had a reason to try, but here is what I found:
  1. Open your web browser and go to: www.kobo.com/redeem.
  2. Click Select under the type of card that you want to redeem.
  3. Enter the PIN printed on your Walmart receipt. Note: For Gift Cards, scratch the back of the card to reveal the PIN.
  4. Click Submit. Note: If you redeem a Digital Audiobook card for Instant Credits, you'll need to sign up to an audiobook subscription first.
  5. Click Continue with Walmart.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:09 PM   #5
Asaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Click Select under the type of card that you want to redeem.
I don't see that anywhere on the page. What browser are you using?
Old 10-17-2021, 02:55 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asaki View Post
I don't see that anywhere on the page. What browser are you using?
I pulled those directions up using a search engine. However, when I click the www.kobo.com/redeem, I get the attached screen.

Seems you should be able to go from step 3 onwards.

Clicking the Where is my PIN link showed a Walmart gift card.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo Redeem.png
Views:	94
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	189673  
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote