Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #106
naql
naql began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad, iPhone 4, Mac
I think it was a Palm V using the eReader app. I think it was called Peanut Press or something back then.
naql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #107
lisajjb
Enthusiast
lisajjb began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy 10"
Just the Aluratek Libre I got in May. I didn't know ebooks existed until the first Kindle came out. I owned several PDA's over the years but never knew ebooks were available back then.
lisajjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #108
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Palm IIIxe. Not bad in the dark, but no good for reading in the park on a bright day.

Then we got the Palm Z22. Tiny screen and rather low resolution, but I read many books on it anyway.

I mostly used a Russian-authored freeware Palm text editor, and then, I think, switched to Mobipocket. I mostly read books from Project Gutenberg. And, on the Z22, the New York Times and Washington Post via the defunct AvantGo.com.

Now I carry a BlackBerry 8820, which in theory should work as an eBook reader, but mine is locked down by my employer so that I can only use the native applications. While I tried to read books with the out-of-the-box Documents to Go mini-app, it is too easy to lose your place in the book, and takes too long to get back to to it.

Kindle 3 on order.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #109
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Technically, a Palm Pilot many moons ago! I thought I wa so cutting edge!!!

Oh yeah, I remember Peanut Press!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #110
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
An Ipaq
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #111
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
My first dedicated e-Reader was the Sony PRS-505. Man, I loved that little machine.

I never heard of the technology before the Kindle 1 came out. I actually first heard of digital readers when the news did a piece on the K1. And then I started googling and finally stumbled on MR, which is when I discovered that other devices existed.

I've since gone through (3) PRS-505's, (1) PRS-700, a Kindle2, a nook, and now my iPad.

I've got a bit of a gadget fetish. What's my favorite though? I'm torn between my 700 and the nook. I still love the K2, but I hate that keyboard.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #112
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
First dedicated ereader was my Rocket ebook - so long ago I can't remember for sure, but I'm guessing at least 10 years, probably more. I bought it within a couple of months of its introduction. Bought 2 more of the next gen versions, most recently about six years ago. Also used my Palm Pilot (very limitedly, mind you!).
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:44 AM   #113
rblover
Connoisseur
rblover began at the beginning.

Device: none as yet
Haven't had one yet, but will get one in a few weeks...a Kindle 3G+WiFi. I've come the long way around to this decision, but like the: non-glare/no-eyestrain screen, the price, and the wide selection of free/cheap ebooks available. The free AT&T, text to speech, and archiving, are nice bonuses.
rblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #114
daxbr
daxbr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle1, kindle7
I remember reading books in txt format on IBM desktop 8088 OS back in 1988. Now, still using 2.5 years old Kindle1 daily.
daxbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #115
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
This was also my first device. Coming from the Iliad to the Kindle was a huge improvement in boot-time. I hardly reflect any more when turning on the Kindle, it's just ready to be used.
I've had an Iliad and the boot time was really annoying. You basically had to shut it down if you put the device down for any significant lenght of time.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #116
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I thought that was how e-readers were supposed to work! Today I don't think I would ever buy an e-reader that doesn't have a sleep mode.

I can't remember the last time I shut down my Kindle and the whole point is, you shouldn't have to.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #117
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by cklls View Post
First dedicated ereader was my Rocket ebook - so long ago I can't remember for sure, but I'm guessing at least 10 years, probably more. I bought it within a couple of months of its introduction. Bought 2 more of the next gen versions, most recently about six years ago. Also used my Palm Pilot (very limitedly, mind you!).
Do you ever still use your Rocketbook or Rebs? I have, on occasion, and am impressed by the fact that they are still more comfortable to hold and use than any of the new devices (including Sony's, Kindles, Ipad).
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #118
goinveg
Enthusiast
goinveg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Entourage eDGe DualBook
1996 - Palm Pilot Pro - then upgraded! with a modem! and 2MB memory! and PalmOS 3.0!
1999 - Palm IIIx - with 4MB memory!
goinveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #119
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrimm View Post
Do you ever still use your Rocketbook or Rebs? I have, on occasion, and am impressed by the fact that they are still more comfortable to hold and use than any of the new devices (including Sony's, Kindles, Ipad).
The original died about 5 years ago, but the other two still work beautifully. My husband uses the older one, and I use the more current one constantly (daily!), especially for night reading. I am a true night owl! That's the one downside of the Nook, and most other newer ereaders. I know some people don't like the backlight, but for me it's very important.

They are very comfortable, I agree. I do like that the Nook is a little lighter weight, but I really like the shape of the REBs. Fit very nicely in one's palm.
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #120
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I used that, but it wasn't my first... I had a red one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Mine was one of the Visors. I got the expansion module that let me use SmartMedia cards as storage for the books.

(I'm taking device to exclude computers)
Which one? I had the Matchbookdrive (both 1 and 2 at different times) I got my first one when the guy was building them by hand for those who didn't want to try to build them themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
A Memplug? Before I got my Sony Reader, I would occasionally keep an eye on Ebay for cheap auctions of Visors and accessories (including broken ones-- I got pretty good at swapping parts around to make working units). I ended up with 2 or 3 Memplugs, (all CompactFlash models.) I used a 256 MB card in mine.
I think I got to 512 MB with my Matchbook drive before my last Handspring gave up the ghost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
Handspring Visor. The original.
Me too. 2MB on the machine, but with the right modules, it could do anything. It gave a really good massage, for example...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote