Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
physics@war
Connoisseur
physics@war began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Can the Plastic Logic QUE write on?

Hi, the new Plastic Logic QUE look nice and thin comparing to the iRex PR1000S. But I am not sure if you can take notes and write on the QUE as you did on the 1000S.

Does anyone know?

Thanks
physics@war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
physics@war
Connoisseur
physics@war began at the beginning.

Device: none
So can you write on it with a stylus? I am kind of curious
physics@war is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics@war View Post
So can you write on it with a stylus?
It is a capacitive touch screen, which generally means touch only and not all that good for handwriting.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
from the big thread about the Que, I believe it was determined since it has a capacitive touch then you can use a stylus but it needs to be a special one designed for capacitive panels. from looking at the pen accuracy is not going to be very good. And from everything I read, hand written markup is problematic at best and impossible at worst for some document formats if not all of the supported formats.

Someone suggested a blank document which you could then write notes in, which is effectively a journal but you need to be sure and add a LOT of blank pages when creating the book, depending on the subject because once you create it there will be no way, on the reader, to add more pages. Still a simple utility app could be written to auto generate a journal for the Que device, heck if it can be done that might be a nice feature in Calibre for any reader with a touch interface that has no way to create a separate file for hand written notes.

I think there needs to be more info about the Que before anyone considers it usable as a productivity tool.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
You can write on the Que using your finger. There is also a virtual keyboard that you can use to add notes. You can use a stylus that is designed for a capacitive touch screen, but one is not provided with the Que. When I asked the rep why they didn't provide a stylus, he hemmed and hawed and then told me it was just easier to use your finger. I don't know about anyone else, but for making written notes, I prefer a stylus. It seemed to me that they only anticipated people circling or highlighting and then using the keyboard to make "word" notes.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
When I asked the rep why they didn't provide a stylus, he hemmed and hawed and then told me it was just easier to use your finger.
That's very short-sighted. What about women with medium/long fingernails. How are they supposed to annotate?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
random50
Connoisseur
random50 doesn't litterrandom50 doesn't litter

Device: None yet
Quote:
You can write on the Que using your finger. There is also a virtual keyboard that you can use to add notes. You can use a stylus that is designed for a capacitive touch screen, but one is not provided with the Que. When I asked the rep why they didn't provide a stylus, he hemmed and hawed and then told me it was just easier to use your finger. I don't know about anyone else, but for making written notes, I prefer a stylus. It seemed to me that they only anticipated people circling or highlighting and then using the keyboard to make "word" notes.
I hope they're not that dim. You'd think a company set up by physicists and engineers would recognise the potential need to write equations.

Has anybody had experience of writing with a capacitive stylus? My impression is that the writing would have to be quite large, simply because it can't make thin lines.

On a related note, if you look at videos that have been posted so far, it's very conspicuous that the demonstrators usually fail to draw unbroken lines when annotating. That would also be a serious issue if the stylus was unable to correct it.
random50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With the demo I was given, the rep circled a few words of text, drew an arrow towards it and attached a note to the arrow using the virtual keyboard. I only know that it was an arrow pointing to the circle because I saw him draw it. it did not look like an arrow. He also attempted to highlight some text but was unable to make it happen and it took him several tries to bring up the virtual keyboard. It seemed a bit more complicated than making annotations on my Sony 600 which is fairly straight forward.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
random50
Connoisseur
random50 doesn't litterrandom50 doesn't litter

Device: None yet
Even the keyboard didn't seem to work that well in the couple of demos I've seen it used.

Perhaps this issue is a big part of the reason why it's not out for at least another 3 months?
random50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Yes, all that hype that old Steve Jobs has created in the media about the superiority of capacitative screens... While in reality they have a lot of disadvantages, too. I have used both, and personally am quite happy with a good, responsive resistive screen like I have on my phone. The fact that you sometimes have to use a little pressure helps avoid accidental presses and I love being able to use the stylus or fingernail for clicking on links, etc. And for those who have real winters -- you even need special gloves for your iphones!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Yes, all that hype that old Steve Jobs has created in the media about the superiority of capacitative screens... While in reality they have a lot of disadvantages, too. I have used both, and personally am quite happy with a good, responsive resistive screen like I have on my phone. The fact that you sometimes have to use a little pressure helps avoid accidental presses and I love being able to use the stylus or fingernail for clicking on links, etc. And for those who have real winters -- you even need special gloves for your iphones!
I don't know what qualifies as a "real winter" but it's been pretty cold here in Northern Virginia and being a big wimp, I always wear gloves when I'm outside. If I want to do anything on my Pre, I have to take of a glove, even to answer the phone (you have to slide the Lock screen up to answer).
Old 01-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I wrote on it with my finger and it wasnt as nice as writing with , say, the wacom of the Onyx but i was able to do it. I didnt try zooming in and then writing, which i should have since i was doing it with the Boox all weekend, but I bet you can . And they have different line thicknesses to use.

All that said they need to get a capacitive stylus available for it. There are a lot of business use case i can envision where stylus will be needed, anytime anyone is wearing gloves for temperature reasons or safety reasons.

I also talked with them about the note taking/journal/list making. They are looking at adding it. They had a lot of questions about that since thursday.

Boox has a notes ap and i used it quite often. I was making notes all day saturday and you can even add pages as needed. It shouldnt be too hard for them to add for the Que

edit: OI agree on the statement above about over complicated. I noticed a couple of things that seemed to be structured in an overly complicated way that definetly could be simplified.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 01-12-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I don't know what qualifies as a "real winter" but it's been pretty cold here in Northern Virginia and being a big wimp, I always wear gloves when I'm outside. If I want to do anything on my Pre, I have to take of a glove, even to answer the phone (you have to slide the Lock screen up to answer).
I was comparing it to our winters. I start the shivering when we get below 68F/20C and the big chills start at our extreme overnight lows of 50F/10C. Which, fortunately, we only have for a few days a year. So a real winter would be anything you need to wear gloves for. Anyway, it is always nice to meet a fellow wimp. On the other hand, I can take the summer heat a lot better than most people!

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-12-2010 at 06:31 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #14
masmullin
masmullin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 Sony
The plastic logic que doesn't exist and cannot do anything at the moment.
masmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
It didn't look promising to me. Capacitive touch screens aren't the greatest for writing, but are doable. I played around some with scribbling notes with my finger on the iPad--I think it would be ok with a special stylus.

But the problem with the Que is the same as the iRex for me. E-ink is so slow and laggy, it's just no ideal for annotating--with stylus or on screen keyboard etc.

So I want an lcd tablet for my document mark up needs personally. Especially with the price of the Que, iRex etc. No way I'd pay that when I can get lag free mark up on an lcd tablet, and also have full internet, HD video, magazines, comics etc. for a lesser price (based on the iPad pricing relative to the Que and iRex).

But to each their own of course. Some put more value on the benefits of e-ink.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote