Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-30-2009, 03:07 AM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Alpha 700 = 8.9" 1024x600 LCD + E-Reader = $219

While reading about the SmartQ 7, I saw the Alpha 700 (A700). It's built by SkyTone, it has a larger screen and higher resolution. It will be available at the end of June, form Eletroworld.

I just received an email from Eletroworld, stating that the A700 will have an E-Reader. I am assuming it will be some version of FBReader (the same email said it "can use" FBReader.)

At $219, it's kind of hard to resist, even though it's LCD, and the battery life is apparently just over 5 hours (not sure how it's measured.)

I am not sure what the MIPS 500 MHz 32bit CPU is going to be exactly, but the only new MIPS 500 MHz chip I found is the RMI XLP832, which was announced in May. If this is the CPU the A700 has inside, it should be plenty fast.

Model Name Alpha 700
Operating System Linux 2.6 Preloaded
Display 8.9” TFT LCD true color
LCD resolution 1024 X 600
CPU MIPS 500 MHz 32bit
Wireless Built-in WiFi (802.11b/g)
Memory 128MB DDR2 (up to 256MB Optional)
Media MPEG1/2/4,H.263,H.264,WMV9,RMVB
Media Storage SD/MMC card slot (support SDHC)
Input Device Touch Panel, Directional keys
S.S.D. Storage (Solid-State Drive) 2GB up to 32GB optional
Audio Built-in Mic/speakers,Mic/earpiece jack
USB Output USB 2.0x1/Mini 2.0x1
Broadband Wireless(Driver Built-in) Optional:3G,EDME,CDMA,HSPDA

Name:	A700-2.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	30091   Click image for larger version

Name:	a700-1.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	30092   Click image for larger version

Name:	A700_8.jpg.jpeg
Views:	738
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	30093  
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
LCD and 5 hour battery life?

That would be horrible for reading on.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post

I know..., LCD. But many here don't mind it....

I am actually going to place an order, at this price (after the 8th of June, just in case Apple announces an OLED tablet.)

5 hours doesn't sound like much, but it depends what it was doing when they measured. If it was video, or if they had WiFi turned on, then presumably reading a PDF would be a little better :-)

Plus, I have an iRex, so I am used to it... :-)

Last edited by Sonist; 05-30-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:27 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

I have that. No problems on it at all. Only rarely have I a completely empty battery, and mostly because I was too tired to put it on the loader at night (instead, I'd just turn it off, put underneath my pillow and close my eyes )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:50 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Why? I read eBooks for 20+ years on LCD devices before eInk appeared. 5 hours battery life is perfectly adequate for most people - not many people read for more than an hour or two at a stretch.

Of course I prefer eInk, but to say the LCD devices are "horrible" is a gross exageration, I think .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 04:04 AM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I know..., LCD. But many here don't mind it....

I am actually going to place an order, at this price (after the 8th of June, just in case Apple announces an OLED tablet.)

5 hours doesn't sound like much, but it depends what it was doing when they measured. If it was video, or if they had WiFi turned on, then presumably reading a PDF would be a little better :-)

Plus, I have an iRex, so I am used to it... :-)
I don't think its gonna be Oled, it might be a LED screen but not OLED.

as I understand it, Oled can control the light to EVERY pixel (OMG lol)

while regular LED can control the light to regions.

LED screens exist now, OLEDs not so much, they are around, but will be cost prohibitive for atleas a few more years.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Lol, this looks much nicer than the Q7. Wonder if Chippy will get one to review?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
The Cybook Gen 1 reborn! With linux instead of Win CE...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
The Cybook Gen 1 reborn! With linux instead of Win CE...
LOL.

But with "true color," instead of 256, and higher resolution. And 4 times the RAM, and 120 times the Flash. And much faster CPU, and better looking....

Otherwise, almost the same....
Old 05-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, I don't see this as anything more special then a netbook. And if you get a netbook with WindowsXP, you can put any reader you want on it. So actually, as an eBook reader, it is kind of limited.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, I don't see this as anything more special then a netbook....
Uhm, form factor?
Old 06-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
Gem
Gem began at the beginning.

Device: Still not sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, I don't see this as anything more special then a netbook. And if you get a netbook with WindowsXP, you can put any reader you want on it. So actually, as an eBook reader, it is kind of limited.
Its shaped like a tablet and has a 7-9 inch touch screen for under 300. Ide buy a touch ebook if I could flip the screen to get rid of the keyboard for the same price, but as of now, I havnt found one.

BTW, when will those start shipping?
Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem View Post

BTW, when will those start shipping?
I received an email indicating end of June.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #14
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
7" and 10 hours battery life Vs. 8.5" and 5 hours...

I'll take the ten hour model.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
Gem
Gem began at the beginning.

Device: Still not sure
Im not sure how I feel about this compared to the https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=touchbook

Basically the same.

The touch book is 300 bucks, but has a full keyboard/touchpad upgrade, 10-15 hour battery, and potentially better specs...not sure though, especially not fond of the lack of info on the internal memory...also I hate microSD.

We shall see
Gem is offline   Reply With Quote