Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Silver discolored, Dark Blue chipped, any way to change core english fonts for books?

Hi everyone,

I'd had my heart set on a Kindle, but just decided to switch my sights to a Sony just because a Sony makes much more sense for me, no matter how much of an Amazon fangirl I am. I like that there's a Korean hack available (very important to me), that it supports rtf and image files, and pdf (not well, I know).

I went to see the Sony in person today. I had thought a Dark Blue would be more appealing, but in person I liked the Silver much better. However, i noticed that part of the silver display unit, between the two round buttons at the bottom, is slightly discolored. Anyone who's had a silver laptop might understand.. the sort of discoloring that happens to the palmrest. Has anybody else noticed this? Is there a way to restore the stains to a nice silver color?

But I also noticed that the Dark Blue unit was chipped in two different places. AT least, it looked chipped. There were flecks of white on the sides. Is that even possible? I thought I'd read it was anodized color quite deep into the surface of the unit.

Last of all, is there a way to make books display in different fonts? I'd imagine that since we can put in unicode korean characters, there should be a way to put in other english fonts and to have our books display in those. I really like the Amazon font better, so I'd probably want to get something like that. I don't mean through embedding in LRF, since I hear that would make file sizes large and page turns slow.

I was, however, disappointed in the size of the screen. I think it would be nice to see bigger displays (I know the expensive iLiad has a bigger screen, and Astak is planning some) especially since page turns are mildly annoying (the black flash).

Edited to make a question clearer.

Last edited by seajewel; 06-15-2008 at 05:09 PM.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I was, however, disappointed in the size of the screen. I think it would be nice to see bigger displays (I know the expensive iLiad has a bigger screen, and Astak is planning some) especially since page turns are mildly annoying (the black flash).
Yep, it's either CyBook, Sony, Kindle, 6inch or iLiads 8 incher. The Astak 9.7 is projected for October, but lets see if they can get the 5/6 inch ones out by July first.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
But I also noticed that the Dark Blue unit was chipped in two different places.
I've had the dark blue 505 for about 6 months now. No chips, but it doesn't get rough handling and I've only dropped it once. I did, however, manage to scrape off part of a white arrow on the lower left control. Didn't realize I'd been tapping it with the edge of my fingernail.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:31 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I had 500 for one year and 505 for 6 months. Both of them are dark blue. There is no visible damage to the case, no chiped off bits colours and no colour fading.
I must admit that I do handle my readers with care as any other electronical devices I use. I don't just drop the reader into my backpack as it is. The reader always travel with me in a special Neoprene pouch, though it is not a good defence against a physical pressure, accidental hit or drop, it does provide a certain degree of safety. I am planning to purchase a titanium eCaddy, which is not made of titanium but a tin box, but tin is still a lot stronger then its original cover or Neoprene pouch.
If I were you, I would not worry about colour fading (at least on a blue one). Also I would not worry about chipped off pices of blue colour because anything that can afflict such a damage to the reader is very likely to break its screen as well.

As a side note: you never know how many people touched the silver reader on a show stand that you have seen. you don't know what hands touched, how clean/greasy they were. Maybe some left some sort of ugly fingerprints and the staff had to clean it off with some chemicals that caused colour fading.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:40 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I cannot comment much on additional fonts.
There is no straight forward way to solve the problem.

You are absolutely correct about embedded fonts. It incredibly slows down page turning.

Since you are going to use a hacked firmware to be able read korean, maybe it is possible to modify the firmware and add additional fonts before you upgrade the reader.

When I just got prs-500 I had this notion in my hdea that I would like to use Verdana or a similar font because it was designed specifically for reading documents on comupter screens and it is easier on your eyes etc. Unfortunatelly, sony reader supprts only 2 types of fonts natively, one of them is Swiss and it remotely resembles Verdana but after a few months of preparing all my books always in two copies, one with Times New Roman and another with Swiss, I have decided that TNR is absolutely fine and acceptable font and since then I don't bother anymore and just read books
Advert
Old 06-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have a silver 505...have had it for about a month and a half now. So far, no fading or discolored spots. I agree with Astra--you never know who or what was touching the display model, so I wouldn't worry too much about a new 505.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know.. the discoloring was the sort of dark grey/black color that silver often takes on in silver laptop palmrests. Mine definitely does that, and I wouldn't say my hands are particularly sweaty or greasy. I know if I get the Sony I'll be reading on it a LOT, so I'm leaning towards the dark blue despite liking the silver better. I think I could control chips happening much more easily than natural hand oils or whatnot changing the silver in places. But in the end it'll probably come down to what's the cheapest one I can get on ebay, as I'm mostly looking for a cheaper model this time around and hoping for an upgraded Astak 9.7 or a much cheaper 8 inch model, or a Kindle 2.0 with multilanguage support.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:47 AM   #8
seajewel
Fanatic

I went to see them again today and the silver smudges looked better. Maybe it is a different type of silver from my laptop and won't have the darkening problem where touched. The dark blue however, still showed its chips (definitely silver beneath, and not very far beneath at all There were many chips on the sides and on the bottom too). I still like the looks of the silver better, but the screen on the dark blue does indeed look whiter. Such a dilemma.. I think I'm going for the silver, though, as the dark blue just looks so dank to me.. almost black, and not very modern for some reason. Disappointing ,cuz I really like the color blue.. but not apparently that shade.

Still a tough decision, because of the contrast issue. Argh!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I've had my silver 505 since they were first released and it still looks as good as new. It's been all over the world and I've lost count of how many books I've read and it still looks and works as well as when I first got it. It stays in the standard cover it came with and goes in the briefcase that way. Hope that helps.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
seajewel
Fanatic

Thank you-- that does help!! it's heartening to know someone has had it for so long and it still looks good. Silver it is then.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Thank you-- that does help!! it's heartening to know someone has had it for so long and it still looks good. Silver it is then.
Good luck!