Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
felixblackcat
felixblackcat began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Unhappy Safe mode or recovery mode for Pocket Edge?

OK. I really need to be able to get into some sort of safe mode or recovery mode for my Pocket Edge, since it gets stuck in a forced-close loop whenever I boot it up. I tried the generic Android safe mode method of holding down the Menu button on startup, but it doesn't seem to be working, and I can't seem to find the information I need. I am VERY frustrated and upset and have already wasted a lot of time trying to figure out how I can actually use my Edge again. Please, please, PLEASE help!! I can't believe that it'd be so hard to find informatio about something that should be so simple! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
felixblackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Welcome, felixblackcat. Sorry for your troubles.

You are not the first person to experience some kind of looping behavior on startup. I will search for threads reporting similar problems, and post them here for you to look over. Hopefully some of the suggestions that have helped others will help you.

Here's one you might like! https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160505

There is no recovery mode for the eDGe as it comes. I don't know for sure whether there is some recovery ability built into pablob's Golden Allmine, but I know Vicinc especially has been wanting it.

To get more help from the technically oriented people here, you might tell us what was happening right before you got stuck and what version of the Operating System you are running.

Good luck!

Last edited by Filark; 01-05-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
the recovery mode is menu/rotate. try using pablo rc3 and report the log if recovery fails.
if this is failing you need to use serial, see my post to recover bad nand
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
felixblackcat

OK, vicnic, I didn't understand anything beyond your first sentence.

I'm just using the OS that came on it, although I got it used. I believe the previous owner just did a factory reset.

I was using dxTop-Pro, which I got when it was the free app of the day:
http://www.amazon.com/Access-Lane-In.../dp/B004DLNBDA
The trouble is, although that had been working great for quite a while (I got it in August), that's what's causing the forced close loop now, and now can't get to the regular home screen, since dxTop is set as the default action when pressing the home button.

Is there really no safe mode on this thing? It seems like there is for Android in general. That's what I'd really like to do -- get into a safe mode and get rid of dxTop.

Or, is there some way I can bypass the default home action and get into the built-in home screen? If I'm quick enough, I may be able to press the right thing in between iterations of the forced-close loop and get into the regular home screen that way, so I can then access the tools and get rid of dxTop.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

uninstal via adb or use rc3 from
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159872
to restore to golden ermine (with working market)
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
pablob
Connoisseur
pablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheese

Device: OnyxBook M96, enTourage Pocket eDGe (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixblackcat View Post
I'm just using the OS that came on it, although I got it used. I believe the previous owner just did a factory reset.

I was using dxTop-Pro, which I got when it was the free app of the day:
http://www.amazon.com/Access-Lane-In.../dp/B004DLNBDA
The trouble is, although that had been working great for quite a while (I got it in August), that's what's causing the forced close loop now, and now can't get to the regular home screen, since dxTop is set as the default action when pressing the home button.

Is there really no safe mode on this thing? It seems like there is for Android in general. That's what I'd really like to do -- get into a safe mode and get rid of dxTop.

Or, is there some way I can bypass the default home action and get into the built-in home screen? If I'm quick enough, I may be able to press the right thing in between iterations of the forced-close loop and get into the regular home screen that way, so I can then access the tools and get rid of dxTop.
I don't know of any way to get a "safe mode" in this device (it is my only Android one, so I have no idea of what is customary in other Android devices).

Somebody in the forum found that booting with Menu+home resets the PE to its factory state. I can't confirm that, but it sounds plausible. That should get rid of your loop, but at the cost of losing your content (and possibly apps). You can also use any kind of golden update (Dingo, Ermine or Allmine) and that should also fix the loop and also lose your content and apps.

Maybe you can use adb to delete the application, even though the interface is looping. Have you tried that? What version of the system are you using?
pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
felixblackcat

Again, I'm just using the system that cam eon it when I got it used, and I believe the previous owner just did a factory reset. What is "adb"?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
pablob
Connoisseur
pablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheese

Device: OnyxBook M96, enTourage Pocket eDGe (retired)
Then is probably Dingo or Ermine (those are different versions made by enTourage Systems when it still existed; Dingo is the "official" one, and Ermine is the updated beta that was semi-released when the company closed).

Adb is the "Android Debug Bridge", that you can usually use to connect a computer to an Android device and do all manner of operations in the device from the computer. Look that up in Google for more information, as it might help you. I think that if you have Dingo you need to enable "Debug Mode" first, so it will be kind of useless for your situation; it's worth giving it a shot, though.
pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
To try and ascertain which version of the OS you have on your PE. What was the startup home screen like? Did it have two slide buttons near the bottom of the screen where you had to slide the left button to the right to unlock it? If so you have Ermine, if not you have the older Dingo.

In either case you could well end up loosing all your content if you don't know how to use low level software tools.

The easiest way to restore you unit to working condition is to apply one of the latest golden updates and then restore your apps from your backup - assuming you have them backed up on your PC.

Because your unit is a PE the best golden update for you is the one pablob has produced - use rc3 version. This will give you Ermine and access to the market which most people seem to want.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
felixblackcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
In either case you could well end up loosing all your content if you don't know how to use low level software tools.
Look. I'm capable of following step-by-step instructions, OK? Do any exist for getting rid of an app like this?
Old 01-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
I never said you were incapable of following instructions but past experience says that the slightest wrong input could cause greater problems than you already have. As far as I know no one has produced any step by step instructions, vicinc might be able do so for you - I'm a hardware engineer.

What you must weigh up is the risk of doing more damage and loosing everything against just loosing your content - the choice is yours.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
felixblackcat

Well, there are so many people on forums like these that seem to prefer acting like superior jerks rather than being helpful to people, and i have very little tolerance for that sort of thing, so, perhaps I was a bit over-sensitive.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #13
vicinc
Guru

fortunately I do not know any jerk in this forum, all very nice and helpful people. we are not entourage tech support.we do what we do to support each other and nobody tried to be "superior"... but such attitudes like in previous post will not get you anywhere. I was prepared to write for you a step by step adb uninstall but I give up now.
also be aware that the uninstall may not sort your issue as may be a nand issue.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #14
felixblackcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
fortunately I do not know any jerk in this forum, all very nice and helpful people. we are not entourage tech support.we do what we do to support each other and nobody tried to be "superior"... but such attitudes like in previous post will not get you anywhere. I was prepared to write for you a step by step adb uninstall but I give up now.
also be aware that the uninstall may not sort your issue as may be a nand issue.
Wait, WHAT?! I don't understand what "attitude" you're talking about? If anything, I'm ANTI-attitude. That was the point i was trying to make. I've run across people like that before, and I admitted that that probably made me a bit over-sensitive here in seeing what I thought could've been the start of something like that, making me want to nip that sort of attitude in the bud before a lot of my time was wasted and before it got me very angry, as has happened in the past. In this case, like I said, it seems that it was just a misunderstanding on my part, being overly sensitive, due to having been burned before. I would be interested in such a step-by-step.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #15
felixblackcat

On another note, as a possible alternative, is there any sort of combination of buttons I can press to bypass the default action when pressing the home button, so that I can have the option of using the built-in home screen? I think that's why it's looping, since the default action is now dxTop.