Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 08-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #511
JensW
Enthusiast
JensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trolls

Device: Kindle 4
Hi all,
just wanted to say that I have not forgotten about this project and continue work on my GUI. It just all takes a long while due to other work I am doing. The GUI is kind of a low priority.
See the News post on http://www.students.uni-marburg.de/~...pdfoptgui.html for more information.

Greetings
Jens
JensW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #512
mldma
mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Onyx boox i62 HD
Hello Willus, Thank you for your great program.
I come across a problem with the attached pdf below. it's hard to cut margin by the use of Briss.
Can K2pdfopt do that? (just cut 4 margins and keep all original content without any change)Would you please show me the command? thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf test.pdf (290.3 KB, 284 views)
mldma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 01:06 AM   #513
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldma View Post
Hello Willus, Thank you for your great program.
I come across a problem with the attached pdf below. it's hard to cut margin by the use of Briss.
Can K2pdfopt do that? (just cut 4 margins and keep all original content without any change)Would you please show me the command? thank you.
Sure--if you want a copy page for page but just having the margins trimmed, try this:

k2pdfopt -mode copy -t -de 3 test.pdf

The -de 3 will keep the black speckles from influencing the trimming. This doesn't trim the margins right to the edge because of a bug in v1.66 that will be fixed in my next release (I'm hoping within the next week).

If you just want to trim the side margins and don't mind if text gets broken across pages, try the fit-width mode:

k2pdfopt -mode fw -de 3 test.pdf

(I think you'll like that better.)
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:39 AM   #514
mldma
mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.mldma got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Sure--if you want a copy page for page but just having the margins trimmed, try this:

k2pdfopt -mode copy -t -de 3 test.pdf

The -de 3 will keep the black speckles from influencing the trimming. This doesn't trim the margins right to the edge because of a bug in v1.66 that will be fixed in my next release (I'm hoping within the next week).

If you just want to trim the side margins and don't mind if text gets broken across pages, try the fit-width mode:

k2pdfopt -mode fw -de 3 test.pdf

(I think you'll like that better.)
It works perfectly,Thanks for your help.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #515
mldma

one more question

hi,Willus
How can I change the color Pdf(scanned document) pages into Black/White one just having the margins trimmed? and how to darken the yellow text? thank you.
Advert
Old 09-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #516
JensW
Enthusiast
JensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trolls

Hi all,
I just published version 2.1 of my Windows GUI for k2pdfopt. Multicore processing works better now and I fixed a few bugs and added support for non-standard characters in the filenames (like chinese letters etc.).

http://www.students.uni-marburg.de/~...pdfoptgui.html
Old 09-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #517
JensW
Enthusiast

Quote:
hi,Willus
How can I change the color Pdf(scanned document) pages into Black/White one just having the margins trimmed? and how to darken the yellow text? thank you.
The output is black&white by default imho and the pages can be trimmed with the -m(...) commands. Usage is:

k2pdfopt -ml 0.2 -mt 0.3 -mr 0.4 -mb 0.5

this will ignore a margin of 0.2 inches on the left, 0.3 in on the top, 0.4 on the right and 0.5 on the bottom of the page.

The brightness can be adjusted with the gamma command -g

k2pdfopt -g 0.3
Old 09-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #518
mldma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensW View Post
The output is black&white by default imho and the pages can be trimmed with the -m(...) commands. Usage is:

k2pdfopt -ml 0.2 -mt 0.3 -mr 0.4 -mb 0.5

this will ignore a margin of 0.2 inches on the left, 0.3 in on the top, 0.4 on the right and 0.5 on the bottom of the page.

The brightness can be adjusted with the gamma command -g

k2pdfopt -g 0.3
Thank you,
By the use of "k2pdfopt -ml 0.2 -mt 0.3 -mr 0.4 -mb 0.5" command, my pdf file was turned to be B/W but the format of some pages were also adjusted.What I want is change the color pdf monochrome one and let those light colour text readable in e-ink reader.

Last edited by mldma; 09-01-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: add some additional commits
Old 09-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #519
JensW
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank you,
By the use of "k2pdfopt -ml 0.2 -mt 0.3 -mr 0.4 -mb 0.5" command, my pdf file was turned to be B/W but the format of some pages were also adjusted.What I want is change the color pdf monochrome one and let those light colour text readable in e-ink reader.
The numbers were just an example. How much you want to trim depends on your document (measure the borders and use these values).

Have you tried the gamma option with different values? Because you can not make specific colors darker and leave the rest as it is as far as I know. You would need a PDF editor for that.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #520
mldma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensW View Post
The numbers were just an example. How much you want to trim depends on your document (measure the borders and use these values).

Have you tried the gamma option with different values? Because you can not make specific colors darker and leave the rest as it is as far as I know. You would need a PDF editor for that.

Sorry,my poor english let you misunderstand the question:
I want to change a scanned color Pdf to black and white Pdf (color fading into black and wihte)without change the original margin,text size . can k2pdfopt do it?
thank you
Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #521
JensW
Enthusiast

if you just want to convert to grayscale then k2pdfopt is probably the wrong tool for the job, since it's main use is rearrangement of the document to suit E-book readers. Converting to grayscale can be done with most of the free pdf-printer tools used to create pdf files from other document. I read that http://www.primopdf.com/ for example should offer this option.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #522
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry,my poor english let you misunderstand the question:
I want to change a scanned color Pdf to black and white Pdf (color fading into black and wihte)without change the original margin,text size . can k2pdfopt do it?
thank you
Try this:

k2pdfopt -mode copy -c- file.pdf

If you want the margins trimmed, add -t to the options. The -c- turns off color output (makes it black and white). You can adjust the grayscale some with the -g option, like Jens pointed out, and also with the contrast: -cmax option.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #523
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

k2pdfopt v2.00 released

K2pdfopt v2.00 is released. This is a major new release which now includes a GUI for MS Windows. It also significantly improves conversion of re-flowed native-PDF documents by extracting the text from them without requiring OCR, thus allowing highlighting and searching. See the web site for details. I've attached a screen shot of the GUI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_milne.png
Views:	259
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	110342  
Old 09-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #524
mldma

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Try this:

k2pdfopt -mode copy -c- file.pdf

If you want the margins trimmed, add -t to the options. The -c- turns off color output (makes it black and white). You can adjust the grayscale some with the -g option, like Jens pointed out, and also with the contrast: -cmax option.
It really works, Thank you.
And also thanks for your new release. learning and studying it now.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #525
Kohinoor91
Kohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of lightKohinoor91 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: pocketbook622touch
I wanna congratulate you for the great job, willus. I have a problem and I hope you can help out.
I edited 2 small PDF files with grafics, texture, tables and so on and it's perfect. However, when I try to edit larger PDF files 150-500MB, it starts well, and about 40 or 45, sometimes 50 page, it says "ERROR reading page "Number" from directory/// Trying Ghostscript, then it says "ERROr reading next page" and so on, and then the program crashes. There is nothing special on the pages the program stops, they are like every other normally edited page. The 2 files I edited have also complicated tables, grafics, drawings but the program did great job and they are perfectly good for reading on 6" device. I have PB622touch, I don't think it will matter, but still. Thanks in advance!
Edit: I use all the default settings on the program every time, doesn't matter if it failed or succeeded.
Kohinoor91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools