Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #31
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Thanks, a sane explanation!
To add... It's definitely not the most flexible solution, but I do understand Apple's reasoning behind it. By having only one method of "seamless" in-app purchases (for game DLC, new skin packs, etc), it gives a higher level of trust to the executables that the system is meant to allow developers to add into their apps.

There does need to be a better way to purchase additional content like books, movies, TV shows, and magazines... There are rumors Apple is working on just that, but Apple has never forced a developer to use its store beyond the initial purchase of the app. Apple's built in way tends to be the most seamless, but by making third parties support their own separate storefronts, you do know when you are buying from Apple and when you are buying from another company.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #32
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I don't know if this has been answered in this thread or not but currently can you purchase books inside your Nook or Kindle App on the iPhone/iPad? or do you have to go outside your app to purchase books? I talking about the past and currently.

You can in the Droid , nook and Kindle Appl.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #33
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Makes me happier that I have never bought an Apple product. I used to think about buying a Mac until I started investigating its components and discovered that Apple wanted a premium price for mediocre components and that I could do much better custom building a PC.

I know that there are other companies as arrogant as Apple, but fortunately not so many that I can't just avoid dealing with them.
I originally formed my opinion of Apple products with the iMac G3 in 1998 and Apple's "Legacy-free" policy. The only Apple product that I have ever purchased was QuickTime for Windows, and that only because, ironically, I bought a Sony camcorder which only made .mov files.

Apple has done nothing to change that opinion since, and this latest debacle only reinforces it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #34
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Must be end of days time... second time in last ten minutes that I've agreed absolutely with what you say... better watch out or the common sense inquisition will get us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I figure that if things were to remain status quo, Apple would've just come out and said so to the NYT. So I want clarification.

Given developments with news apps and such, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is considering tightening controls. They're free to do that, of course, just as consumers are free to make their decisions.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #35
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Well, I wasn't entirely correct in my reasoning... from what I can tell, Sony's in-app store violates preexisting guidelines, but Apple has also released a statement about purchased content that I just found at Ars Technica.

Hopefully Apple backpedals on this decision because it's ridiculously stupid.
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #36
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I went into a Sony store a while ago to learn about their blue tooth headphones. I thought they would be great to go with my iPhone/iPod. I was told by the Sony salesman that the headphones wouldn't work because "we deliberately make our products to be incompatible with Apple."
That sounds quite unbelievable. Bluetooth is a universal standard, Sony cannot make their phones "uncompilable" with apple products because they have to follow the standard.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #37
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Must be end of days time... second time in last ten minutes that I've agreed absolutely with what you say... better watch out or the common sense inquisition will get us...
Oh no, I haven't even begun packing a survivalist kit!
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #38
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltsar View Post
Well, I wasn't entirely correct in my reasoning... from what I can tell, Sony's in-app store violates preexisting guidelines, but Apple has also released a statement about purchased content that I just found at Ars Technica.

Hopefully Apple backpedals on this decision because it's ridiculously stupid.
If this is indeed true, my $499 ipad is now worthless. I use it exclusively to read kindle content. (I purchased it when I had CSR last year and had trouble reading a kindle.)
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #39
Caltsar
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
If this is indeed true, my $499 ipad is now worthless. I use it exclusively to read kindle content. (I purchased it when I had CSR last year and had trouble reading a kindle.)
Apple has gone back on decisions before due to pressure from third parties. I'm going to guess that they will go back on this decision as well. It seems like they make their decisions in a vacuum... which can be good for some things, but completely stupid for others.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #40
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
That sounds quite unbelievable. Bluetooth is a universal standard, Sony cannot make their phones "uncompilable" with apple products because they have to follow the standard.
It is what I was told inside the Sony store. I have no idea if this is technically true or not - but my comment is not a lie. If it is not true, some smartass lost Sony a sale - I was planning to buy two (me & hubby).

He also told me that Sony was approached by the creator of the iPod prior to that person approaching Apple and Sony turned him down. I told him that he should never tell another customer that because it made Sony look extremely stupid.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #41
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Here's the relevant statement:

Quote:
"We have not changed our developer terms or guidelines," Apple spokesperson Trudy Muller told Ars. "We are now requiring that if an app offers customers the ability to purchase books outside of the app, that the same option is also available to customers from within the app with in-app purchase."
So they are saying to Amazon, and everyone else, you need to rewrite your apps to allow purchases through our system so we can take a cut, or we will reject you.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #42
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Here's the relevant statement:

So they are saying to Amazon, and everyone else, you need to rewrite your apps to allow purchases through our system so we can take a cut, or we will reject you.

Graham
That pisses me off. A lot. Its time to start looking for a new phone. Any recs?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #43
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
what carrier are you on?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #44
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
what carrier are you on?
AT&T right now, was giving thought to moving to Verizon or T-Mobile... shoot, if I'm getting rid of my iThing I might even try sprint (my contract will be up soon).
Old 02-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #45
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
I love my HTC EVO 4G, but it is exclusive to Sprint. If your near the end of your AT&T contract, it might be worth a look.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote