Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #1
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Kindle for PC is there

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311

download and enjoy
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
That was quick.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Unfortunately can't read non-Amazon books.

Correction: Yes it can. When downloading public-domain books from MobileRead or Feedbooks, one's given an option to open the book in the Kindle for PC. The books are then stored in the My Kindle Content folder in My Documents in unaltered .mobi or .prc format.
I like it much more now.

Last edited by GJN; 11-10-2009 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Correction
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Drak Bibliophile
Drak Bibliophile began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader
Is there anyway (if you have Kindle for PC) to remove the DRM from the Kindle ebooks? I've seen some ebooks that I'd like to have but want to read them on my CyBook.
Drak Bibliophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Unfortunately, ebooks free for you aren't for me ! VAT is there ! $2.30 !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Awesome! I'm on it!
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoine View Post
Unfortunately, ebooks free for you aren't for me ! VAT is there ! $2.30 !
You EU folks should really get on your government on this. It's ridiculous you pay so much for electronic content.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I knew it! I knew it would arrive between monday and wednesday as I can't check my email until wednesday due to a server move of my mail server...

Awesome that you no longer need a Kindle to buy Kindle books.

Too bad I get a "unable to connect at this time"...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
You EU folks should really get on your government on this. It's ridiculous you pay so much for electronic content.
Don't know for sure if it's really VAT, marqued as below :
Quote:
includes VAT & international wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet
But I agree totally with you nonetheless !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Can you make annotations on the computer? It says you can see annotations made on your Kindle, but doesn't specify if you can make notes on your computer.

Anyone know if it handles PDF's directly, or if you need to convert it? e.g. say I'm doing a literature search on my work computer, find something I want. Can I bring it into the Kindle for PC program easily and take notes on it, then export it to a Kindle (if I get one?)
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
Can you make annotations on the computer? It says you can see annotations made on your Kindle, but doesn't specify if you can make notes on your computer.

Anyone know if it handles PDF's directly, or if you need to convert it? e.g. say I'm doing a literature search on my work computer, find something I want. Can I bring it into the Kindle for PC program easily and take notes on it, then export it to a Kindle (if I get one?)
To answer your question:

Quote:
* Create notes and highlights
Thanks to Whispersync, you can already read your notes and highlights from other devices on Kindle for PC. We'd like to add the ability to create notes and highlights using the Kindle for PC application.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Thanks for the heads up (cause I didn't receive the promised email notification)!

It looks like it's a beta product. Here is a list of proposed future improvements. I sitll don't see folder support... why is that so hard.

Quote:
Future Improvements
We hope you are enjoying this beta version of Kindle for PC and the large selection of Kindle books that are available in the Kindle Store.

As with all our services, we plan to continue improving Kindle for PC. Below are some features we are thinking about bringing to Kindle for PC in the near future:

* Create notes and highlights
Thanks to Whispersync, you can already read your notes and highlights from other devices on Kindle for PC. We'd like to add the ability to create notes and highlights using the Kindle for PC application.

* Search
Find a word or a sentence in the book you are currently reading.

* Zoom and rotate images
Click on an image to see an expanded view and rotate it if desired.

We'd also like to hear from you. Please share your thoughts, feedback, and comments with us. You can send them to the Kindle team at kindleforpc-feedback@amazon.com or via the feedback form available in the application - we'd love to hear what you think!

Sincerely,

The Kindle team
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoine View Post
Don't know for sure if it's really VAT, marqued as below :
But I agree totally with you nonetheless !
Yes this is $2 connection, even if you d/l it to your computer via your own connection, plus UK VAT which is for the next few weeks 15% which accounts for the odd 30 cents.

If Amazon did not charge the $2 when you do not use their whispernet scam then there would be no VAT. This is just another money making scheme from the Evil reseller.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfreak View Post
Yes this is $2 connection, even if you d/l it to your computer via your own connection, plus UK VAT which is for the next few weeks 15% which accounts for the odd 30 cents.

If Amazon did not charge the $2 when you do not use their whispernet scam then there would be no VAT. This is just another money making scheme from the Evil reseller.
well, plenty of ways around that have been discussed. So cheer up!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfreak View Post

Wait a minute here. Amazon charges $2 in "whispernet fee" for downloading a "free" book to your PC using a "landbased" link?

Did I get that straight?

If so... That just leaves me speechless and flabbergasted and it will surely be a cold day in the place that is usually described as beeing very hot and smelling of sulphur before I use this stupid thing!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote