Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
Using One's Kindle at a Beach

Any tips on using one's Kindle at the beach?

I am just afraid I will drop it in the sand and sand getting into the Kindle 3's speakers

Any suggestions - technique/accessories?
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Sure, Don't use it on the beach.

If you just can't bear to be without your Kindle I would suggest getting a bag to protect against the element These bags are specifically made for electronic devices and will guard against sand rain, etc. You can find these bags at REI or I believe other sporting good stores. But I have only seen them at REI. For a bag that is needed for the size of the Kindle your probably looking at $20. These bags are also designed to be waterproof down to 2 meters or 6 feet so perhaps you can find a cheaper solution that does not require water proofing protection
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
You could get a fully waterproof bag which will be pricey.

If you don't intend to take your Kindle near water and are more concerned about the effects of sand - just one of those clear, ziploc bags would do the trick.

The Kindle screen is gorgeous to read in the sun.

Have fun
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Get a case/sleeve/protection for your Kindle (you should not dream on reading on your baby without protection… it pays in the end!).
Then take it to the beach and enjoy.

I myself have a Cybook Gen3 who will be 3 years old next February… it has made 3 full Portuguese beach summers without a problem and keeps on going strong all the way.

You have bought your kindle to be used (everywhere), just do it.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Just put it into a one gallon ziplock back.......problem solved.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I read a lot in Monterey and Carmel with the gallon bag. never a problem!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
A ziploc bag has worked for me, reading in the rain and even in the tub. It should keep out sand too.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
Egham
Egham will become famous soon enoughEgham will become famous soon enoughEgham will become famous soon enoughEgham will become famous soon enoughEgham will become famous soon enoughEgham will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
I use a TrendyDigital WaterGuard Plus Waterproof Case with Padding when I take my Kindle out on the beach. It's basically a heavy-duty, double-zip zip lock. Works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/TrendyDigital-...385943&sr=1-12

Last edited by Egham; 11-21-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Egham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egham View Post
I use a TrendyDigital WaterGuard Plus Waterproof Case with Padding when I take my Kindle out on the beach. It's basically a heavy-duty, double-zip zip lock. Works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/TrendyDigital-...385943&sr=1-12
That is a very nice bag, if I must say so myself. And it appears to have very positive reviews. Of course I think that this bag will work for quite a few e-readers of similar size.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #10
jondelfin
Enthusiast
jondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, 3, 4T
A thick zip-lock freezer bad has worked well for me
jondelfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #11
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
You know, when i used to google kindle ziplock to post the same image over and over again there was only one to put on this form for this type of post, but now there are like 10, this all changed in the past month or so...

Original idea is original
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:35 AM   #12
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Love the pics Curstpriest

I often use ziplocs when I'm using my Kindle while cooking so I don't get sticky hands over the buttons and they work a treat. I wouldn't use them in the bath / for swimming etc as I am accident prone and they aren't water-tight - just splash proof.

I love the e-volve aquatic pouches for fully waterproof gadget bags.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:33 AM   #13
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Love the pics Curstpriest

I often use ziplocs when I'm using my Kindle while cooking so I don't get sticky hands over the buttons and they work a treat. I wouldn't use them in the bath / for swimming etc as I am accident prone and they aren't water-tight - just splash proof.

I love the e-volve aquatic pouches for fully waterproof gadget bags.

Yeah me too ... I'm splashproof NOT Waterproof So NEVER take baths
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #14
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
The trendy digital bag is great because it doesn't wrinkle the way a zip lock bag would, and is truly waterproof if you close it correctly.

I've also used the M-Edge Leisure Jacket on the beach and by the pool, and while it's not dunkproof, it will keep out sand and protect from splashes. It's more comfortable to read with than a plastic bag of any sort, and it has a nice pocket in the back which is perfect for a few dollars or a hotel key.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
If I was going to read on the beach then I'd get the TrendyDigital case/bag that Egham linked to. It looks nice and secure.

However, I'd still probably just get a pBook when reading on the beach or by the pool. Not because I'm worried about it getting wet but more because I don't have to worry about it if I want to get up or walk around without lugging it around. If my pBook gets stolen or lost then it is mildly annoying but not a major issue however my Kindle getting stolen or lost is quite a bit more annoying

Last edited by Tiersten; 11-22-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: + "secure". Missed it out.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote