Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #121
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I'll give the reader another shot - the version I have claims to do that, but looks pretty bad when you do. Does it create a PRC or MOBI file or just copy the epub into it's directory
It converts the ePUb to a MOBI in its standard directory. See the screenshots in Mobipocket announcements at IDPF conference. Things that are missing include the cover page, SVG, and the table of contents. Only a subset of the CSS is honoured.

It is likely that Calibre's any2mobi will do a better job once it is ready to go, see Next format for calibre to generate?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #122
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
But the FOR command only works on the one command, not on a second command in the same batch file. So, for example, you can process a bunch of ereader files, naming the directories the same as the original file, but all of them will be called book.html, which means more work to change those names before converting to another format (such as using mobicreator).
You can have your for command call another batch file which does multiple commands. I don't think there is a way to have a block of commands in a for... but wouldn't be suprised if it were possible.

Also, I'm confused, why would they all be called book.html? Or you mean... <bookname>.html were book name is different for each book.

Tell us what you are trying to do and I'm sure I can help with the batch commands to do it in one pass.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:00 PM   #123
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
...hings that are missing include the cover page, SVG, and the table of contents. Only a subset of the CSS is honoured.

It is likely that Calibre's any2mobi will do a better job once it is ready to go, see Next format for calibre to generate?
Thanks, sounds like I should stick with HTML format downloads for now and skip epubs, at least until either the conversion tools catch up or they add epub support to my reader (and support that works better than mobipocket's reader). Someday one-format shall rule, but until then I do have things to read.

Last edited by koland; 12-19-2008 at 04:13 PM.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:10 PM   #124
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You can have your for command call another batch file which does multiple commands. I don't think there is a way to have a block of commands in a for... but wouldn't be suprised if it were possible.

Also, I'm confused, why would they all be called book.html? Or you mean... <bookname>.html were book name is different for each book.

Tell us what you are trying to do and I'm sure I can help with the batch commands to do it in one pass.
Thanks Bob, but I'm not having any problems. I typed in the command in a command box for about a week before automating it all with command files.

I use two command files (the first is a FOR command that calls the second and passes in the name of the book, minus the extension). The second does the conversion (actually, I have two pairs of these - one for mobi, one for ereader). The ereader conversion creates html files (with images extracted) and you can name the directory, but the main html file is always called "book.html" (this is set in the script and apparently can't be passed in as a parameter). It isn't a big deal to do a rename of that in the batch file that does the actual conversion. Mobidedrm does allow you to specify the destination filename, but can't be exactly the same as the original, unless they are in different directories. Again, the batch file takes care of all that for me.

It's the people trying to have only one batch file that run into limitations - the FOR command can only do what is on that one command line, so what it calls must do all the other processing. No doubt I could just rewrite the python commands to do what I want, but there isn't any need when it's just as easy to maintain a tiny batch file (which is then easily changed anytime I want; editing 4 or 5 lines is much easier than messing with the python script, especially if you want to try to integrate version changes people come up with for it).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #125
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Cool... sounds like you are on top of it.

Quote:
Mobidedrm does allow you to specify the destination filename, but can't be exactly the same as the original, unless they are in different directories.
I'm pretty sure you can use the same input and output file name and your input file will be overwritten. (personally I never run it this way.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #126
theodoron
Inspector Gadget
theodoron began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700BC
Very Thankful

All of you on these threads are grat. I was so frustrated with the MobiDeDRM. But, I finally got it after 3 dyas of coming home after work and trying to figure it out. Thanks for all of the input - even those I did not dialogue on the boards. I read the threads.
theodoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #127
nwatts88
nwatts88 doesn't litternwatts88 doesn't litter

Device: iPhone
Hi all,

I carefully read through this thread to get my mobidedrm.py script working. After a few hours I finally got it and produced a DRM-free .mobi file. Unfortunately the process messed with all the chapter markers, and since importing the file into Stanza it's become unreadable. Random sentences act as chapter titles, the actual chapter titles have all been changed, all very messy. Has anyone heard of this before? And any ideas on how to either fix it up or do it again properly?

I used version 0.05 with Python 2.5 under Mac OS X 10.5.5 using this Terminal line:
Code:
python /books/mobidedrm.py /books/DRMfilled.prc /convert/DRMfree.mobi 'MyPID'
Hope I can work it out. I accidentally bought the book, thinking it'd work fine with my iPhone like the free tester did on the mobi website. But now I've come across this forum I've been really keen to try and get it all working.

edit: I just downloaded and installed ActiveState Python 2.6.1.1 and it made no difference.

Thanks for reading,
Nick

Last edited by nwatts88; 12-20-2008 at 12:13 PM.
nwatts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #128
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
This is most likely a Stanza conversion probelm. Check with a 'real' Mobipocket reader, like the Windows program .

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwatts88 View Post
Hi all,

I carefully read through this thread to get my mobidedrm.py script working. After a few hours I finally got it and produced a DRM-free .mobi file. Unfortunately the process messed with all the chapter markers, and since importing the file into Stanza it's become unreadable. Random sentences act as chapter titles, the actual chapter titles have all been changed, all very messy. Has anyone heard of this before? And any ideas on how to either fix it up or do it again properly?

I used version 0.05 with Python 2.5 under Mac OS X 10.5.5 using this Terminal line:
Code:
python /books/mobidedrm.py /books/DRMfilled.prc /convert/DRMfree.mobi 'MyPID'
Hope I can work it out. I accidentally bought the book, thinking it'd work fine with my iPhone like the free tester did on the mobi website. But now I've come across this forum I've been really keen to try and get it all working.

edit: I just downloaded and installed ActiveState Python 2.6.1.1 and it made no difference.

Thanks for reading,
Nick
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:23 AM   #129
nwatts88

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
This is most likely a Stanza conversion probelm. Check with a 'real' Mobipocket reader, like the Windows program .

Paul
Thanks, it was. I changed the mobi file into an epub file using calibre and all of the formatting has returned in Stanza for iPhone (even if it didn't in Stanza desktop).
Old 12-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #130
redcoatuk
redcoatuk began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
It took a few hours but I managed to get it done. here was the tricky process. I am using a 505, xp, light experience with scripts and programming.

Installed pyphon, three versions, 25, 26 and 30. Ended up using the activestate 26 (richarddooling) as I needed it exactly how a howto thread was laid out (internettablettalk). searched via googles and discovered pastebin. pdurrant on here supplies a version of the script. read darkreversers blog, excellent. scroll to the end to get the up to date stuff. so I got the python, got the script, moved them to my C drive and worked out the paths for command line edit. downloaded an ereader file .pdb and mobi file .prc for a few bucks and got to work. the mobi had me busy for hours. all i got was PID invalid. I read thread after thread about how to fix it, to use apostrophies or not, to miss bits off the PID. my errors were all in the command line syntax and argument.

Some have reported the need to open a book first with mobi prc files, if you do that, the standard windows file location for the opened book with its security file is C:\documents and settings\user\my documents\my ebooks

when using the windows python gui with mobidedrm.py for prc files the argument is: inputfile.prc outputfile.prc PID

when using the windows python gui with ereader.py for pdb files the argument line is: input file.pdb output file.pdb "firstname familyname" 8figurecreditcardnumber

The scripts work a treat and import direct into Calibre which will convert and export to the reader.

Somewhat longwinded but the ebooks you pay for and download are no longer hamstrung with the restrictive stuff.

Finally a big thanks to the script writers and patient experts that give advice. I found it all very helpful and an enjoyable challenge. Keep up the good work.

redcoat
redcoatuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #131
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I have a very basic question about Mobidedrm. I haven't downloaded it from anywhere because it seems to be available only from Torrent sites, and I'm not sure that my ISP allows Torrent files (or that I'd want to download one even if they did). Is there any way to obtain Mobidedrm without resorting to the Torrent sites?

My Palm TX reads Mobipocket files without a problem, but obviously I prefer using my PRS505. I may just take the easy way out and buy a Cybook or Bebook for Mobipocket books I purchase or borrrow from the library.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #132
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Is there any way to obtain Mobidedrm without resorting to the Torrent sites?
The best place to start to look for copies of the MobiDeDRM python script is in the responses to DarkReverser's Weblog. Since 0.05 just came out, start with the most recent responses. The Dark Reverser originally posted the python script (source code) to pastebin.com, it gets deleted from there periodically but if you find it there the download is .txt which needs to be renamed .py.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:26 AM   #133
nwatts88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I have a very basic question about Mobidedrm. I haven't downloaded it from anywhere because it seems to be available only from Torrent sites, and I'm not sure that my ISP allows Torrent files (or that I'd want to download one even if they did). Is there any way to obtain Mobidedrm without resorting to the Torrent sites?

My Palm TX reads Mobipocket files without a problem, but obviously I prefer using my PRS505. I may just take the easy way out and buy a Cybook or Bebook for Mobipocket books I purchase or borrrow from the library.

SteveK
You don't want to download using torrents, a perfectly legal file sharing protocol, but do want to illegally strip DRM from your eBooks?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #134
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
Huge, huge, huge thanks to all the people who have posted info on how to get Mobidedrm to work. I followed through all of the steps and suggestions posted in this thread and have just converted my first drmed mobi book to use on my Sony 505.

You are all absolute stars!

To any one having problems, read through all of the posts in this thread again. I found it was the smallest thing that I was doing wrong <g>.

Last edited by bathos; 01-04-2009 at 12:37 PM.
bathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #135
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
The suggestion to type mobidedrm4.py to get the script was what did it for me. I converted mobi to azw (having previously converted prc to mobi with mobi2mobi gui). Just tried it on the original prc file, and that worked as well. No fixing author or title. Mobile Read Forum Members ROCK!!

Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote