Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #46
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'm a bit puzzled by all of you. If I login to my nook homepage I end up on:
https://mynook.barnesandnoble.com/home.html
which looks suspiciously like the US site (prices in dollars, can't spell 'colour' etc). Or am I misreading what you are all talking about?
That's the US barnes and Noble web site. I have an account there too. But I have a separate account at

http://uk.nook.com/

I've just checked, and they're still using an amazingly bad page to display one's bought books.

Oooh! But they do now have a 'Show More' button that might let me actually see all my books at last!

And a bit of judicious editing of the URL lets me see 100 books at a time!

But it still won't show me more than two or three hundred of them. Sigh. I can get to see them all if I use the nook Study application, so I know they're there.

[This thread has prompted me to write to nook customer support again. I suppose it's just possible that they don't realise there's still a problem.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-14-2013 at 11:05 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #47
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
[This thread has prompted me to write to nook customer support again. I suppose it's just possible that they don't realise there's still a problem.]
They don't. I've had an ongoing problem since June as the August 2013 issue of my Asimov's SF Magazine subscription wasn't delivered to my Android devices.

They've told me to download it from my library on the UK Nook website. I've pointed out that that functionality doesn't exist. (Plus, the issue is missing there as well.)

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 09-14-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #48
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
They don't. I've had an ongoing problem since June as the August 2013 issue of my Asimov's SF Magazine subscription wasn't delivered to my Android devices.

They've told me to download it from my library on the UK Nook website. I've pointed out that that functionality doesn't exist. (Plus, the issue is missing there as well.)

Graham
As a way to get the issue, I recommend installing NOOK Study.

If you log in with your UK user account email and password, you should get access (& be able to download) all your books.

That's how I managed to download all my books from nook UK.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #49
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If you log in with your UK user account email and password, you should get access (& be able to download) all your books.

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get back home. On a Chromebook at the moment. It might explain why of the 169 of my Fictionwise books I can only see 9. (I couldn't see any of them in the not available list.) Or they might just never have arrived, of course.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 09-15-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #50
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
On Nook HD charging cable - Charging over microUSB has some limitations - that includes a USB standard max amperage (I think around 1.5a up / .5amp down).

The Nexus 7 is actually one of the few tablets I've seen that charges on standard MicroUSB. Most tabs have something proprietary. Galaxy Tabs and the like have a proprietary charger. Nook Color had microUSB with a couple of extra pins (to help it charge faster...it takes about 8 hours with a standard .5amp usb cable and the screen has to be off to get more power than it's using).

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...our-smartphone

Covers it a bit.

To charge a battery the size of the one in the Nook HD (6000 mah I think) would take a very long time. The Nexus 7 only has a ~4000 mah battery IIRC. I assume that they wanted HDMI out which is why they didn't go with the Nook Color/HD style cable.

faster). iPads use their proprietary connector. Etc.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #51
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I assume that they wanted HDMI out which is why they didn't go with the Nook Color/HD style cable.
That may have been their thinking but there are many android tablets that provide HDMI out using standard micro HDMI cables (US$4.99 and thereabouts: http://www.monoprice.com/Category?fq...ulticategoryid) so using the Nook Color/Kindle HD8.9 approach was not out of the question.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #52
Graham
Wizard

Quote:

It worked!

Not only was the missing issue of Asimov's there, but so were the missing 160 books transferred from Fictionwise.

I can download the epubs and read online. Why on earth is this technology not built into their UK website?

Anyway, many, many thanks pdurrant.

Graham
Old 09-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #53
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I can download the epubs and read online. Why on earth is this technology not built into their UK website?
It's astonishing, isn't it?

I fear the B&N/nook are not long for this world.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:33 AM   #54
DBDigital
Connoisseur
DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
It really is amazing. B&N were so slow moving beyond the USA and now they still seem to be dropping the ball. Good to know that the nook study program still works (and works for UK). I was very surprised when they removed the Nook for PC program. And the odd thing is they don't act like they even know about Nook Study any more. And I can remember only a year or two ago they were promoting it on a large scale.
DBDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 PM   #55
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I see in this week's Barron's that Leonard Riggio disclosed last week that he had sold nearly a quarter of his stake in Barnes & Noble, leaving his holdings at 20%.

http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2014...-barnes-noble/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #56
ereaderSam
Connoisseur
ereaderSam doesn't litterereaderSam doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
All of this gloom and doom makes me want to buy a Kindle for my next ereader purchase.
ereaderSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #57
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Odd to see the shareholder fixation on dividends: the company is (maybe) six months from Chapter 11 and they want to drain cash from it?
Wall Street as a whole tends to be focused only short-term. They want to earn money NOW, the future be damned. So it's not at all surprising to see them want to milk a company to death, that's routine behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBDigital View Post
I never could understand why they went the 30 pin route for the cable.
As GreenMonkey noted, it's so it can charge quickly. And it does charge very quickly. That part is nice, the cable being only available from B&N isn't.

Personally I knew about the 30pin connector when I bought my Nook HD+s, but I felt the pricing (I bought refurbed ones cheap) and easy CyanogenMod installs made up for it. Didn't really help B&N much, but it was a good deal for me.

I am surprised to see people saying Nook for PC is no longer available, as it appears to be downloadable from the US site still. Program still seems to work too, I just ran it and got my latest Analog & Asimov's Science Fiction issues.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #58
Snow Sciles
Connoisseur
Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STG, PW2
Yes, there's so much doom and gloom around the Nook. B&N need to show a sign that they're committed to their Nook ereaders.
Snow Sciles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:12 AM   #59
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Even the Onion is getting its licks in

Desperate Barnes & Noble To Give Unlimited Free Tablets To Anyone Who Walks In Store

Quote:
NEW YORK—In a last-ditch effort to entice customers to visit their stores, bookseller Barnes & Noble announced plans Tuesday to immediately begin offering Nook tablets free of charge to anyone who even stepped through the door at one of their retail locations. “With its 9-inch HD display, ultra-light body, and speedy 1.5GHz dual-core processor, the Nook offers consumers an irresistible reason to stop by one of our stores and maybe buy anything at all,” said company spokesman Kyle Leary, reiterating that an unlimited number of the 32GB devices would be available at no cost whatsoever and that customers were not obligated to purchase anything but “definitely, definitely could” if they so chose. “Nooks are excellent for reading in sunlight, and customers can have as many of them as they can fit into their bags. If they’re also interested in browsing the shelves for 10 minutes—or five minutes, that works too—they are absolutely more than welcome. I really can’t express how welcome they are to do that.” Leary added that customers reluctant to enter Barnes & Noble branches entirely would find an open box of tablets in the entryway beside a stack of half-off calendars and Moleskine notebooks.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #60
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Heck, I'd walk into the store for a free Nook HD+. I have one, but I would never turn up my nose in getting another. Especially at that price - FREE!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote