Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #61
Kitty1221
Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: onyx boox, pocketbook, 9.7" e-screen
About the instruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDD View Post
Here we go. DISCLAIMER: you are on your own, so be careful.
Also, I tested this only on the original v1.6 firmware, but could (should?) run on the other versions.

Unzip the attached zip file somewhere in your M92 or SD card; you will find two directories, gserial and allow_root.

To login in your M92:
  1. plug the usb cable;
  2. answer "No" to the USB Connection popup;
  3. run start_usb_serial.oar from the gserial directory;
  4. your computer should detect a new serial port device. Use you favourite terminal emulator to connect to it.
  5. login with user app, no password will be asked. (Be careful, even if you are not root, permission aren't really going to protect you.)

To logout press Control+D or type exit. If you want to login again, re-run the start_usb_serial.oar command.

When you are done, logout then execute stop_usb_serial.oar without disconnecting the USB cable. The usual popup will appear.

So now you want to login as root, don't you?
Go to the allow_root directory and run root_pw_clear.oar; now you can login as root, no password asked. To restore everything as it was, run root_pw_restore.oar (will only work if you don't change the root password by hand, but if you can do that, I assume you can restore everything by yourself.) Also, does anybody knows what the original root password is?

Be careful and have fun!

EDIT: The archive was updated because I put the wrong module in there, as you can read below. Sorry guys!
Hi FDD

Thanks much for your instruction.
I have come to the point of terminal emulator.
And I don't know what I am supposed to do in here
when you say "login with user app, no password will be asked."

This is what I have got:
arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi-gcc (4.4.4_09.06.2010) 4.4.4
root filesystem built on Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:37:52 +0800
Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.

onyx login: user app
Password:
Login incorrect
onyx login: user app
Password:
Login incorrect
onyx login: root
Password:
exit <--- I am trying to exit..
Login incorrect
I imagined that I should enter "user app" after "onyx login:"
and thought that it won't ask me the password but it did.
Do I need to do anything at this point?

Sorry to bother you but if you could tell me what is going on, it'd be so much appreciated. Thank you!
Kitty1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #62
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The user name is app no need to write "user app", just app.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:42 AM   #63
Kitty1221
Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: onyx boox, pocketbook, 9.7" e-screen
Smile Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
The user name is app no need to write "user app", just app.
Hi pkbo,

Thank you very much for the information. I could get into the boox!
Now I am getting into the process to turn the boox into a PC monitor..
Kitty1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #64
matt1975
matt1975 began at the beginning.

Device: M92
I'm trying to run gserial_M92_v16orig2.zip to support serial vnc.
Has anyone used this in Windows? In Win8 I get em: "Driver Management concluded the process to install driver gserial.inf_amd64_82d5d1544e3f7b03\gserial.inf for Device Instance ID USB\VID_0525&PID_A4A7\6&39FC866B&0&2 with the following status: 0xE0000217." In WinXP, it tries to find a driver for Gadget Serial 1.4 and fails....
matt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #65
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1221 View Post
Hi pkbo,

Thank you very much for the information. I could get into the boox!
Now I am getting into the process to turn the boox into a PC monitor..
Exactly the reason why I might buy a Boox ! I will follow your progress closely.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #66
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
Exactly the reason why I might buy a Boox ! I will follow your progress closely.
What will be the operating system for which you want a remote monitor?

there is a vnc port here around.
I guess that Seaniko7 efforts into porting a 'normal' linux distribution like debian or ubuntu will bring us also an X server.
With an X server you can launch graphical applications from a linux machine to the M92 but then....you'll launch them directly.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #67
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Keyboard, M92
I love using M92 as eink monitor.
It was a lil bit heavy getting serial drivers to work on win8, but it works.
Though the mouse speed is a bit low, it is still very usable.
crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #68
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
What will be the operating system for which you want a remote monitor?

there is a vnc port here around.
I guess that Seaniko7 efforts into porting a 'normal' linux distribution like debian or ubuntu will bring us also an X server.
With an X server you can launch graphical applications from a linux machine to the M92 but then....you'll launch them directly.
I use Debian, so it looks like I could use vnc as explained here :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...43#post2205243
That is very good news. Even better news would be to be able to buy a HD version of the M92, as discussed here :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=81
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:03 AM   #69
matt1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydog View Post
I love using M92 as eink monitor.
It was a lil bit heavy getting serial drivers to work on win8, but it works.
Though the mouse speed is a bit low, it is still very usable.
Hi crazydog, Could you tell me how you got the drivers to work in Win8? I'm getting “A service installation section in this INF is invalid” so I am guessing I need to modify gserial.inf? Could you post your gserial.inf file or paste the sections which need to be modified? Thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #70
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

I have many driver files on my PC and I can't remember which one I used.
The gersial.inf is the modified driver. The acer_blackfin.inf is the driver of a device with the same hid USB\VID_0525&PID_A4A7. In my device manager it says "Acer Inc."
Just rename the files to .inf

The main trick is gettings win8 to disable driver signature, therefore have a look at this page:
http://www.fotoclubinc.com/blog/how-...-on-windows-8/

It took me 2 days to get this working. Now I can't remember well, but disabling driver signature helped very much.

good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: txt gserial .inf.txt (1.1 KB, 346 views)
File Type: txt acer_blackfin.inf.txt (1.7 KB, 472 views)
Old 05-24-2013, 03:28 AM   #71
matt1975

Thanks.. I disabled driver signature and manually pointed the device to both your renamed .inf files but get the same error “A service installation section in this INF is invalid”
Old 05-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #72
crazydog
error

Hmm, I tried it on my other PC and it worked without problems. I just pointed to the folder where the .inf files were stored.
Note: I now installed it on a win7x64 PC. I hate win8.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #73
matt1975

Finally got it working. XP just needed the driver usbser.sys in system32\drivers which is the %12% path in the .inf On Win8 it just started working without doing anything(!) The only other issue I had was that I had to use a 2-digit COM port (Win8 had assigned a 4-digit port). Further discussion on these issues can be found on the developer forum at :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2444409
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...173792&page=12

Cheers!
Old 05-30-2013, 01:53 AM   #74
bbhuston
Enthusiast
bbhuston began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW; kindle DX; Sony DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1975 View Post
Thanks.. I disabled driver signature and manually pointed the device to both your renamed .inf files but get the same error “A service installation section in this INF is invalid”
Matt, I am having the EXACT same problem that you are (running win 8 with digitial signature disabled)
bbhuston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #75
bartp5
bartp5 knows the square root of minus one.bartp5 knows the square root of minus one.bartp5 knows the square root of minus one.bartp5 knows the square root of minus one.bartp5 knows the square root of minus one.bartp5 knows the square root of minus one.bartp5 knows the square root of minus one.bartp5 knows the square root of minus one.bartp5 knows the square root of minus one.bartp5 knows the square root of minus one.bartp5 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Boox M92
ssh/sshd/rsync

To get back to the original topic of this thread, I compiled openssh for the boox M92, both servers and clients. Not very thoroughly tested but seems to work fine, I can log in, mount my boox through sshfs, generate keys, log in from my boox to other places, etc. Unpack the zip file in your boox and run install (installs to /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/etc). This may take a while as it will generate the host keys and especially the rsa keys take some time to compute. After this you can use the sshd_start/stop/restart scripts to control the running state of the ssh server. Obviously you need wifi running to connect to your boox so you need to start the browser (does anybody happen to have a separate script to start and stop wifi?).

In addition I also compiled rsync, so together with the ssh client on the boox I have my boox syncing with my home server . The install script installs rsync to /usr/local/bin/
Attached Files
File Type: zip openssh.zip (4.07 MB, 335 views)
File Type: zip rsync.zip (462.7 KB, 319 views)
bartp5 is offline   Reply With Quote