Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #9316
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
With the Ryder Cup starting on Friday, and without trying to stoke up too much US/European rivalry, a few questions on that:

1. In 1927, Samuel Ryder donated the gold trophy that still bears his name. In what trade did he make his fortune?

2. In what year did a team first compete as Europe rather than UK or UK and Ireland?

3. Of the 29 points that Tiger Woods has competed for at the Ryder Cup, how many has he earned?

4. What is the name of the women's version of the Ryder Cup?

5. The 1991 Ryder Cup at Kiawah Island was famously competitive and was awarded what nickname as a result?

Hope there's some keen golfers out there.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #9317
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
O yeah baby

1. Seed merchant
2. 1979
3. 13
4. Solheim Cup
5. War on the Shore
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #9318
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
O yeah baby

1. Seed merchant
2. 1979
3. 13
4. Solheim Cup
5. War on the Shore
Blimey, that was quick!

You do know your golf. All correct bar the Tiger one. As you are only one out (correct answer was 14), I'll give you that one as well

Over to you.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #9319
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was so fast on the keyoard i actually miss hit, he has lost 13 matches and has two A/S.
Me likes this topic. I'm coming back with some Ryder Cup trivia.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #9320
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Ok, so on the topic of Ryder Cup lets see if we can get into some of the more quirky facts.

1. Back in the day when they played two single matches, one player beat the Golden Bear in two straight matches, despite Jack Nicklaus specifically requesting a re-match. Who was that player?
2. Who was the first player, since becoming US vs Europe to take all available 5 points in a Ryder Cup?
3. Who on the European team was voted out by his team mates because he had played most of his tournmaents outside Europe?
4. The first European win on US soil came after a US player was so disgusted with his putting that he broke the shaft of his putter in disgust and had to putt with a 1 iron. Who got so maddenly angry?
5. Who was the oldest player in the Ryder Cup and how old was he when he played?
6. What golf course has hosted the most Ryder Cups?
7. What American player holds the record for most lost points for his team?
8. In 2002 Phil Mickelson lost his singles match to a European, wht is his name?
9. What was his world ranking at the time?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #9321
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Ok, so on the topic of Ryder Cup lets see if we can get into some of the more quirky facts.

1. Back in the day when they played two single matches, one player beat the Golden Bear in two straight matches, despite Jack Nicklaus specifically requesting a re-match. Who was that player?
2. Who was the first player, since becoming US vs Europe to take all available 5 points in a Ryder Cup?
3. Who on the European team was voted out by his team mates because he had played most of his tournmaents outside Europe?
4. The first European win on US soil came after a US player was so disgusted with his putting that he broke the shaft of his putter in disgust and had to putt with a 1 iron. Who got so maddenly angry?
5. Who was the oldest player in the Ryder Cup and how old was he when he played?
6. What golf course has hosted the most Ryder Cups?
7. What American player holds the record for most lost points for his team?
8. In 2002 Phil Mickelson lost his singles match to a European, wht is his name?
9. What was his world ranking at the time?
2. Larry Nelson
3. Seve Ballesteros
4. Ben Crenshaw
5. Raymond Floyd [51]
7. Phil Mickelson
8. Phillip Price

Last edited by Fbone; 09-26-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #9322
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

I think you're more immersed in this than I am. I'll guess at a few though;

1. Tony Jacklin
4. Ben Crenshaw
5. Ray Floyd (over 50).
6. The Belfry
8. I remember this, I think. Was it Philip Price?
9. Well into the 100's. 300 and something?
Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #9323
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Strong opening by Fbone. All six correct. To bad for bilbo1967, a tad late but Belfry is correct.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #9324
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Strong opening by Fbone. All six correct. To bad for bilbo1967, a tad late but Belfry is correct.
The Belfry's about 10 minutes drive from where I live. I've been there a few times for business conferences, but, unfortunately, never played there. Probably for the best, it's almost certainly beyond my skill level.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #9325
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
I can thank The Golf Channel for my guesses. They have been showing highlights for weeks in the run up to Friday's event.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #9326
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

And I should correct myself, there was actually seven correct answers, I missed that you had the right age for Raymond Floyd, he was 51 years old in his last Ryder Cup as a player. Fearsome opponent in match play.

I should also ask about the rules. I started in the beginning a couple of pages but never found any specific rules, and entering somewhere after 600 pages there is no way I will go through all the previous postings, but how do you decide between two correct answers with the same time stamp? Fbone's was above Bilbo1967 but they have the same time stamp, it could mean that Bilbo1967 actually replied before Fbone, but the MR server didn't respond to it as fast. Just curious.

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 09-26-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #9327
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
rule 1: have fun

rule 2: keep it simple. If xxxx's answer is posted above the answer of yyyy then xxxx gets the points. (By the way, xxxx could have a server lag, too. Who knows?).

rule 3: no google, wikipedia, other sources for looking up.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #9328
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
And I should correct myself, there was actually seven correct answers, I missed that you had the right age for Raymond Floyd, he was 51 years old in his last Ryder Cup as a player. Fearsome opponent in match play.

I should also ask about the rules. I started in the beginning a couple of pages but never found any specific rules, and entering somewhere after 600 pages there is no way I will go through all the previous postings, but how do you decide between two correct answers with the same time stamp? Fbone's was above Bilbo1967 but they have the same time stamp, it could mean that Bilbo1967 actually replied before Fbone, but the MR server didn't respond to it as fast. Just curious.
If Fbone's answer appeared before mine, it was first. No problems with that from me, I was just a little bit too slow.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #9329
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
The Belfry's about 10 minutes drive from where I live. I've been there a few times for business conferences, but, unfortunately, never played there. Probably for the best, it's almost certainly beyond my skill level.
I used to live 5 minutes away from the belfry, in Curdworth. Small world.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #9330
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Golf? How many are on each team?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote