Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #46
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
What's that all aboot?

*duck*
I like Aussies. They get it.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:34 AM   #47
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0AT View Post
The original firmware on the Touch was far from perfect
I hardly recall a single perfect product. Having an option
to upgrade firmware is what matters. No reason to comp-
lain, at my point of view.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:16 AM   #48
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
Having an option to upgrade firmware is what matters.
Only if the vendor uses the capability. As an example of how not to do it, Amazon has yet to update the $400 Kindle DX software, which was announced about 2 months before the K3. It is still only partially functional compared to the K3, and the PDF support is buggier than an anthill. Pathetic customer support on that one. Guess what - I returned the one I bought...
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:02 AM   #49
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
From what we have been told, at least informally in the beta group, we can expect frequent updates to the Touch. From that perspective, it still isn't a finished product .

I like the fact that Kobo intends to continue to improve the reader. My general sense is that the new hardware and faster processor really opens up opportunities for all sorts of things to happen.

PS: And goat, it isn't our low taxes that make Albertans, ummmm, Albertans, but it is Stampede season, yanno. This particular Albertan is going to chill out in Saskatchewan for a week beginning on Friday--no Internet and no cell service within walking distance. Fortunately, I have a car .

Last edited by taming; 06-30-2011 at 04:07 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #50
sophiek
sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Being another rude Canadian, I have to weigh in. I bought the original Kobo the day it was released over a year ago. Technologically challenged, taming and others helped me get up and running. My husband purchased a K3 at the same time so we could compare the 2. At the time no question- the K3 was a superior product. However, when my Kobo had problems, Indigo replaced it no questions asked. When my husband had problems with his Kindle, there was no recourse other than to return it to the U.S. and wait. Also, because we are in Canada, my husband could not purchase the most recent Baldacci book (and others) from Amazon, but I have had no problems purchasing any books through Kobo.

Fast forward a year, and on the day the Kobo Touch was released I bought 2- one for hubby and one for myself. I was impressed out of the box but the most recent firmware upgrade has blown me away. We are basic users. We love new releases (books) and don't want to mess around with DRM or anything else- we just download and read. No sideloads of PDF's or anything of the sort. Although these boards are full of people complaining about PDF's and books loaded via SD cards, I suspect the majority of the target market for the KTouch are more like we are. I LOOOOVE my Ktouch, and am so appreciative of the responsiveness of the Kobo team and people like taming and Tim Legge who are there to help out people like me.

I only have one thing remaining on my wishlist (probably should be on another thread)- I wish there was a way to have more than one library on the Kobo desktop, or at least a way to load books from the desktop to the Kobo one book at a time. I painstakingly loaded my husband's Kobo with titles from my library (the hard way- removed all of the 'I'm Reading' and bookmarked all of the titles for him and synced his Kobo; then reset them all back to my books), then he pressed the sync button on his Kobo, wondering what it was for. (I had to start over again). Once loaded this is not a huge issue as long as firmware updates are done via Wifi however if I purchase a book then want to share it with him, the only way I can get it on his Kobo is to sync the whole 'I'm Reading' (I think???). It would also be nice if the single-use discount codes recognized individual Kobos rather than accounts. Because we share an account we can't each take advantage of single-use discounts.

These are minor inconveniences that for the most part I know I can get around using ADE (except the discount), but silly me, I like the original covers.

At the end of the day, all I really wanted to say is that I love my Kobo Touch and I suspect most purchasers (who probably don't even know about these boards) feel the same. I have purchased over 60 books through Kobo in the last year, again, a pattern more suited to the reason the Kobo was released- to make money (nothing wrong with that). Most of the people complaining are looking for ways to deal with their own documents and books downloaded for free or from elsewhere. Although these people represent a portion of the Kobo market, I suspect Kobo's key concern is to sell hardware to support their own book sales, and I think they have done a fine job at this.

Tomorrow is July 1st- happy Canada Day everyone!
sophiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #51
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

I've bought a second KT based on the updated typography support. Comments on 1.9.5 type are at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142339
Old 07-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #52
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
You are correct, G0AT, you didn't call me a troll, a different rude Canadian did. You just described responding to me as a waste of time.

Already did - here and elsewhere.
Unfortunately, the word "troll" gets misused here frequently and on other forums as well. People use that word when someone posts something they don't agree with. It really gets bad when you state that you don't care for a particular ereader, even if you weren't nasty about it.

Don't take it personally.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #53
EldRick
Evangelist

Yeah, some of the fanbois get pretty rabid when you critique something they bought...
Old 07-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #54
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiek View Post
Being another rude Canadian, I have to weigh in. I bought the original Kobo the day it was released over a year ago. Technologically challenged, taming and others helped me get up and running. My husband purchased a K3 at the same time so we could compare the 2. At the time no question- the K3 was a superior product. However, when my Kobo had problems, Indigo replaced it no questions asked. When my husband had problems with his Kindle, there was no recourse other than to return it to the U.S. and wait. Also, because we are in Canada, my husband could not purchase the most recent Baldacci book (and others) from Amazon, but I have had no problems purchasing any books through Kobo.

Fast forward a year, and on the day the Kobo Touch was released I bought 2- one for hubby and one for myself. I was impressed out of the box but the most recent firmware upgrade has blown me away. We are basic users. We love new releases (books) and don't want to mess around with DRM or anything else- we just download and read. No sideloads of PDF's or anything of the sort. Although these boards are full of people complaining about PDF's and books loaded via SD cards, I suspect the majority of the target market for the KTouch are more like we are. I LOOOOVE my Ktouch, and am so appreciative of the responsiveness of the Kobo team and people like taming and Tim Legge who are there to help out people like me.

I only have one thing remaining on my wishlist (probably should be on another thread)- I wish there was a way to have more than one library on the Kobo desktop, or at least a way to load books from the desktop to the Kobo one book at a time. I painstakingly loaded my husband's Kobo with titles from my library (the hard way- removed all of the 'I'm Reading' and bookmarked all of the titles for him and synced his Kobo; then reset them all back to my books), then he pressed the sync button on his Kobo, wondering what it was for. (I had to start over again). Once loaded this is not a huge issue as long as firmware updates are done via Wifi however if I purchase a book then want to share it with him, the only way I can get it on his Kobo is to sync the whole 'I'm Reading' (I think???). It would also be nice if the single-use discount codes recognized individual Kobos rather than accounts. Because we share an account we can't each take advantage of single-use discounts.

These are minor inconveniences that for the most part I know I can get around using ADE (except the discount), but silly me, I like the original covers.

At the end of the day, all I really wanted to say is that I love my Kobo Touch and I suspect most purchasers (who probably don't even know about these boards) feel the same. I have purchased over 60 books through Kobo in the last year, again, a pattern more suited to the reason the Kobo was released- to make money (nothing wrong with that). Most of the people complaining are looking for ways to deal with their own documents and books downloaded for free or from elsewhere. Although these people represent a portion of the Kobo market, I suspect Kobo's key concern is to sell hardware to support their own book sales, and I think they have done a fine job at this.

Tomorrow is July 1st- happy Canada Day everyone!
You could try creating users on your computer assumming it is based on windows. By loggin in seperate windows accounts that should allow you to use your own library and he his.

regards
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #55
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
You could try creating users on your computer assumming it is based on windows. By loggin in seperate windows accounts that should allow you to use your own library and he his.

regards
Actually, Touch accommodates two users very, very well--much better than earlier versions. If you sync using one device and then the 2nd person on the account syncs using another reader, phone, tablet etc, they will be asked if they want to accept your sync or not. It's a bit difficult to explain, but Touch users get messages about syncs that have been done by any of the devices linked to the same account.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #56
glennzink
glennzink began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony Xperia Arc using Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
From what we have been told, at least informally in the beta group, we can expect frequent updates to the Touch. From that perspective, it still isn't a finished product .
I don't think there is anything such as a "finished product" when firmware updating is available. Bug fixes, additional features, a phased-feature deployment of the product, all will keep a group of developers busy at Kobo working on the Touch until they no longer offer it.
glennzink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 AM   #57
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I hate having the page justified to the left. As for the font problem, are you aware that with the new update the fonts are basicaly limitless? You can add any font from your computer.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:09 AM   #58
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I hate having the page justified to the left.
I like it more than both sides justification. Looks more natural to me.

Quote:
As for the font problem, are you aware that with the new update the fonts are basicaly limitless? You can add any font from your computer.
Aside some fonts being in property of <insert_something>.
I'm quite eager to know what font people on the forum like the best?
Which one is readable and comes unnoticed? Finally, some fonts are
open and free to use, looking similar to some property ones.
Best regards.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #59
EldRick
Evangelist

Full justification unfortunately slows reading, since a word or phrase will be spread out to fit the width of the page, causing longer eye motion, and making the same word or phrase appear different depending on its location.

To see the effects of full justification, turn a page upside down, and squint to blur your vision - you will see white "rivers" running down the page where extra space was added between words.

You can select Full or Left justification in the Type dialog on the KT, if the publisher allows it.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #60
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Yeah, some of the fanbois get pretty rabid when you critique something they bought...
Oftentimes how you say something is at least as important as what you say!

i've read many posts on this and other forums that could be valuable contributory posts but the language and tone used raised the ire of other members because of the disrespectfull nature of the post.

I think that it behoves us all (myself included) to remember that just because these forums are largely anonymous we should still try to communicate with each other with the same respect that we would if we were face to face.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote