Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
webfolk
Enthusiast
webfolk began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question Converting Word files

On another thread I was advised to save a Word document as Web Page filtered to reduce the large amount of extraneous data in the CSS file. In Word 2008 for Mac that option doesn't exist, but you can "Save as Web Page" and then select "Save only display information into HTML". Is this the same thing? It produces smaller files than the other option, "Save entire file into HTML."

Even with the smaller file the CSS file is very long with a gazillion font specifications like:

@font-face {
font-family: "Courier New";
panose-1: 2 7 3 9 2 2 5 2 4 4
}

Would it be better to delete all but those referencing the fonts actually used? Can they all be deleted?

Another Word question:
In preparing the Word file I deleted all the headers and changed the section breaks from "next page" to "continuous. Is this necessary or advantageous?
webfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:41 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfolk View Post
Even with the smaller file the CSS file is very long with a gazillion font specifications like:

@font-face {
font-family: "Courier New";
panose-1: 2 7 3 9 2 2 5 2 4 4
}

Would it be better to delete all but those referencing the fonts actually used? Can they all be deleted?
I don't have this version of Word but when I ran into problems with books created in Word the first thing I did was delete all of the font-face lines you mention. For regular novels deleting these didn't seem to have a negative affect on resultant epub.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
What I have been doing is opening the document in word, doing a "save as" as RTF and the converting the RTF to mobi in Calibre.

Works for me.

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I agree with dwanthny. I always remove all of those @font-face lines.

For what it's worth, I remove all Section Breaks and Manual Page Breaks as well. I prefer to rely on styling chapter headings with MSWord 'Heading 2' and/or 'Heading 3' to force the page breaks, not in Word but in the Calibre conversion process.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, html, mac book pro, mac os x, word conversion