Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
recordsmith
recordsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Curve
Please give a newbe some help

Hi guys,

I am new to this whole e-reader thing. Here is my situation. I am a doctoral student and I am in the process of researching my thesis. Well I have a huge amount of PDFs from all places, dissertation abstracts, Jsotr etc.. Anyway I have a lot of reading to do and sitting at my computer is not what I call a good time. Do you have any suggestions for a portable reader? I have read many threads that say it is not a good format and I guess I agree, but I really have no choice because that is the prevailing format for scholarly research.

thanks for all your help.

I don't know how I missed the post only 10 down from me, I will read that...!

Last edited by recordsmith; 10-29-2007 at 06:23 PM.
recordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by recordsmith View Post
Hi guys,

I am new to this whole e-reader thing. Here is my situation. I am a doctoral student and I am in the process of researching my thesis. Well I have a huge amount of PDFs from all places, dissertation abstracts, Jsotr etc.. Anyway I have a lot of reading to do and sitting at my computer is not what I call a good time. Do you have any suggestions for a portable reader? I have read many threads that say it is not a good format and I guess I agree, but I really have no choice because that is the prevailing format for scholarly research.

thanks for all your help.

I don't know how I missed the post only 10 down from me, I will read that...!
iLiad or a laptop/tablet pc are your best/only good choices.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The iLiad is your best bet, see for example Technical Document Examples and Tool to split up double pages. You will have to decide if a 10" screen is big enough. In landscape mode with no margins it is about as wide as the text part of a letter page PDF and about 1/2 as high.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:11 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agree with the previous posters - the iLiad or a laptop/tablet PC are the only sensible choices. Don't go near devices with 6" screens if PDF is your main priority.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:08 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
And the multi column viewer works great on the iLiad for scientific papers with multiple columns.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert