Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #31
MaynardGKrebs
MaynardGKrebs began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
I got mine loaded around midnight. Here's my take: Sony didn't anticipate the traffic they were going to get on Christmas. Demand spiked, and their servers couldn't handle it, and kept crashing or resetting connections. Their general management of their servers, IVR system, chat system and so on appears to be really poor. The traffic load was predictable and they could have added capacity. They could have put a preamble on their IVR system saying that load was high. And so on. Instead, they left it up to us to try over and over again. Anyway, it started working late in the day. Try it again, if you haven't already.
MaynardGKrebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #32
mandilovestoread
mandilovestoread began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Samantha, thank you,thank you,thank you. Followed your advice and it worked first time. All and up and running now. Was starting to think it was waste of time.
Merry Christmas.
xx
mandilovestoread is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #33
Steenhuisen
Steenhuisen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony EReaderTouch
Hallo! Just found your forum and am relieved that it's not only me battling with what I've baptised the machine from hell. First you have to find out that Europe is very different from the US (nowhere mentioned in the documentation for my Sony Ereader Touch), then it takes 48 hours to get either the Mac or the PC version of the Ereader Library software (with lots of hangs), then it installs but fails to install an apparently essential part on the Ereader itself and it says an error occurred please check your internet connection - ereader library software' this has now happened like 12 times .... frustrating present. finally bought some books from WHSmith, and managed to get one on the eReader, but the other 2 are refused. I find the documentation on this supposedly userfriendly machine extremely unhelpful!!!anybody has an idea?
Steenhuisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenhuisen View Post
Hallo! Just found your forum and am relieved that it's not only me battling with what I've baptised the machine from hell. First you have to find out that Europe is very different from the US (nowhere mentioned in the documentation for my Sony Ereader Touch), then it takes 48 hours to get either the Mac or the PC version of the Ereader Library software (with lots of hangs), then it installs but fails to install an apparently essential part on the Ereader itself and it says an error occurred please check your internet connection - ereader library software' this has now happened like 12 times .... frustrating present. finally bought some books from WHSmith, and managed to get one on the eReader, but the other 2 are refused. I find the documentation on this supposedly userfriendly machine extremely unhelpful!!!anybody has an idea?
Welcome. Yes Sony as well as B&N had some overloading issues. I've not heard of any issues with Amazon though.

I'd advise you be careful using the term 'ereader' as that is an ebook format used by Barnes and Noble. Most people refer to the Sony's as just "Reader(s)" or ebook reader or by it's name Sony Pocket Edition or Touch Edition.

You will probably need install Adobe Digital Editions and set up an account there as well as the Sony (US or UK) software.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #35
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
A possible short term solution

This seems to be a spreading problem and collection of threads. Here's my thoughts on a possible solution from another thread a few mins ago:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=30
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 11:41 PM   #36
Dragonfly
Dragonfly began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
mine was working fine then out of nowhere library froze stopped responding. i endtasked it then tried to reload it . everytime i click on library in my start up menu nothing happens. Ive done it several ways.
Dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:31 AM   #37
Steenhuisen

you're right, thank you for correcting me!
Old 12-28-2009, 04:37 AM   #38
Steenhuisen

Hi! Seemed like a very sensible idea which I just put to the test. Alas - I can drag it to the Reader Icon but don't see anything on the Reader ...
Old 12-28-2009, 06:14 AM   #39
herbie6
herbie6 began at the beginning.

Device: reader
Perhaps sony should send all folk who register the reader a CD with the software on to make up for the fact that they neglected to put one in the box...
herbie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:01 AM   #40
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie6 View Post
Perhaps sony should send all folk who register the reader a CD with the software on to make up for the fact that they neglected to put one in the box...
Most devices these days rely on installing the software or firmware via on-line downloads. The reason is that as new software and features emerge it has to be installed that way anyway in most cases. If a CD is included it's often out of date already.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:02 AM   #41
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenhuisen View Post
Hi! Seemed like a very sensible idea which I just put to the test. Alas - I can drag it to the Reader Icon but don't see anything on the Reader ...
What type of files? epub? txt?

It will only list the files it knows how to display.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #42
gillybede
gillybede began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I had the same problem - but was able to d/load from the website and am up and running now - guess I got lucky. So if at first you don't succeed - then try again - Sony should have foreseen this - sigh - but as usual once a product is out of the shop there is little thought. Good luck everyone.
gillybede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #43
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillybede View Post
I had the same problem - but was able to d/load from the website and am up and running now - guess I got lucky. So if at first you don't succeed - then try again - Sony should have foreseen this - sigh - but as usual once a product is out of the shop there is little thought. Good luck everyone.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #44
lil a
lil a began at the beginning.

Device: ereader
Hey!
I had the same problem!
Except first I thought a c-d rom came with it and my mom spent an hour searching for it on Christmas night..Looked through recycling bins and everything...
It wouldn't install for aaages but as soon as I went on to http://sony-europe/eBook/PRS it worked straight away!
Good luck m'dears!
lil a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #45
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil a View Post
Hey!
I had the same problem!
Except first I thought a c-d rom came with it and my mom spent an hour searching for it on Christmas night..Looked through recycling bins and everything...
It wouldn't install for aaages but as soon as I went on to http://sony-europe/eBook/PRS it worked straight away!
Good luck m'dears!

That url doesn't work (at least for me). Try this:

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/reader-ebook/7

or

http://www.sony-europe.com/pages/eur...ny_europe.html

maybe...

Tags
library, pocket, problem, reader, sony