Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
andsoitgoes
andsoitgoes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Possibility to sync bookmarks through side loaded ePubs (Any iOS software?)

Just a quick question as the subject says. I want to find a way to sync a bookmark across at least iPhone and iPad without the need of purchasing the book through a specific service.

I want to have my books in one app, so if I buy a book on sale through amazon I still would rather view it somewhere else. But it means if I do that, I don't have the flexibility to keep the bookmarks synced.

Is there anything that can be done here?!? Pretty pretty pretty please tell me that someone smarter than me knows the story and has an answer.

Maybe?

Nick
andsoitgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
iBooks does syncing. Question though, why not just use the Kindle app (at least for ebooks purchased from Amazon)? From the apps I've tried, Kindle's WhisperSync seems to be the most seamless and is pretty "smart". When I used iBooks and enabled bookmark syncing on 4 different devices, I lost my furthest read place in the device I was currently using and got switched back to a previously synced bookmark from another device. That was just when I first enabled sync, though. It appears to be working fine now but I like how the Kindle app asks you if you want to continue where you left off on the device or if you want to go to the furthest read location.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-03-2012 at 10:03 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
andsoitgoes

I've tested and iBooks might sync, but only for iBooks purchased through the app store. Kindle from the Kindle store and Kobo from the Kobo store. This is all fine and good but I've purchased books from elsewhere and I want to find a way to sync bookmarks for non-drm items.

So the issue I'm running into doesn't relate to a problem with the software itself, but the fact that the syncing only works on the software if the book was purchased from that software's store.

I REALLY am leaning toward the Kobo reader, the social sharing is really cool and isn't matched in any other app. But the problem is the books I want are $19 on the Kindle versus $30 on the Kobo store. Is the $10 difference worth it? That's where I'm struggling. I kind of think it is.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You can use Calibre and iTunes to sideload content. In particular iTunes will sideload most anything for any app. You just drag the object direct to the appropriate app as displayed in iTunes. I sideload PPT slides to O2 for example.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
andsoitgoes

I'm not having a problem side loading content though.

I'm having problems syncing bookmarks for content that isn't purchased through the Kindle/iBooks/Kobo stores.

For example I want to have my wife able to sync her bookmarks for the Game of Thrones 4 book set, but since I bought it on my account there's nothing that I can do.
Advert
Old 04-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
There shouldnt be any issue with syncing nonDRM stuff in iBooks. Must confess, I have not tried to do it, but given that you can load external books into iBooks, it ought to work. Now that I have said this, I'm going to have to give it a whirl. lol./
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #7
andsoitgoes

I've tried time and time again. Nothing seems to work. The bookmarks just don't sync.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
I've tried time and time again. Nothing seems to work. The bookmarks just don't sync.
You're right. I just tried it with a Gutenberg bookthat I have on ipad and iphone, and nope. a Free book downloaded from the store, yep. Oh well.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
You can sync non-Kindle books on a Kindle.

Here's a link: http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/27/2...kindle-ios-app

Note that Amazon calls non-Amazon books "personal documents" - you may want to google something like "syncing personal documents" if the link I posted doesn't help.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
andsoitgoes

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

That's simply amazing. Holy Moses. And using it with Calibre, it's seamless.

You rock man, thanks!!
Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

That's simply amazing. Holy Moses. And using it with Calibre, it's seamless.

You rock man, thanks!!
Cool!
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
iBooks syncs bookmarks and last page read across my iPad and iPhone very well.
I do load my books, none of which come from the iBooks store, on both through iTunes and that may make a difference. If you're loading books through other means like "Open In iBooks" from a web site, I suspect it may not work.

You do, of course, need to have the "Sync Bookmarks" setting on in iBooks setup amd both devices need to be on the same Apple ID.

Tom

Last edited by tbergman; 04-07-2012 at 08:21 AM.
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbergman View Post
iBooks syncs bookmarks and last page read across my iPad and iPhone very well.
I do load my books, none of which come from the iBooks store, on both through iTunes and that may make a difference. If you're loading books through other means like "Open In iBooks" from a web site, I suspect it may not work.

You do, of course, need to have the "Sync Bookmarks" setting on in iBooks setup amd both devices need to be on the same Apple ID.

Tom
Seconded.

None of my ebooks are from the iBookstore, but all of them sync happily between iPad and iPhone. To "force" a sync, you merely exit to library and you should see the little spinning symbol in the top left of the status bar.

My only complaint is that the iPhone iBooks app is so wasteful of screen real estate, it's almost a joke
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote