Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
book_addict
book_addict began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Repair vs Replace

So my mum accidentally broke the screen of my Cybook Gen 3 and I'm trying to decide whether I should buy a new ereader or just send my cybook off to be repaired. I'm unfortunately not in a country where I can just check out the latest ebook readers.

I was just wondering, what makes the latest ereaders better than my cybook. For me, having colour screens is a bit gimicky, as really all I'll be using the ereader for is to read. Although having wifi and touch screen would be great, they're non essential. I would rather have an ereader with in-built dictionary (I know not supported by Gen 3 if it's set to read in epub so there's one right there), a decent refresh rate and battery life.

And at the moment, the Gen 3 meets all my needs. It's not too heavy, the screen is big enough and the library folder system on the cybook makes things easier. I know it sounds like I've made up my mind but I haven't! It's just I find it hard to figure out where the improvements have been made in the technology. And if those improvements mean I really should upgrade my cybook.

If people do have suggestions for why the latest ereaders are better, I would appreciate hearing about "alternative" ereaders e.g. from Bookeen, Pocketbook or Bebook as well as about the Kindles and Sony ereaders.
book_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by book_addict View Post
I was just wondering, what makes the latest ereaders better than my cybook.
A few things, in no particular order:

1. Screen (the new eInk "Pearl" screen has 50% better contrast than the Gen3's screen, and it really does make a difference).
2. Dictionary lookup.
3. Annotation and notes.
4. Bookmarks.
5. Search facility within a book (and between books).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
book_addict

Thanks for letting me know!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
AlexSno
Connoisseur
AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
I know your frustration about repairing or re-buying a product.
I owned an iRiver Spin player on which my touchscreen broke. It ill cost me around $100 to repair it and it's price is around $140.
This bugs me and can't believe they will charge me almost the entire sum of money for repairing something
AlexSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSno View Post
I know your frustration about repairing or re-buying a product.
I owned an iRiver Spin player on which my touchscreen broke. It ill cost me around $100 to repair it and it's price is around $140.
This bugs me and can't believe they will charge me almost the entire sum of money for repairing something
The screen can't be repaired; it can only be replaced. Unfortunately the screen is the primary constituent of an eBook reader, and accounts for the majority of its price.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
book_addict

It is highly annoying but the price paid for this kind of technology I suppose. Bookeen have come back to me with a price of up to 70euros so not so bad. So I'm going with what I know and it gives me a bit more time before I upgrade.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
AlexSno
Connoisseur
AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The screen can't be repaired; it can only be replaced. Unfortunately the screen is the primary constituent of an eBook reader, and accounts for the majority of its price.
I know it can't be repaired and i think this is why producers charge so much for just one part of the device. This is good marketing for them afteral...
AlexSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
You said 70 euros for repair, that's approximatly $100. The best that I have been able to get in replacement costs is at Beach Camera for $187 or 131 euros. That's a difference of $87 or approximatly 61 euros. I would go with the repair and keep the 61 euros.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
book_addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
The best that I have been able to get in replacement costs is at Beach Camera for $187 or 131 euros.

How strange that it's much more expensive, that's the price that Bookeen quoted for repair. Not including the shipping costs of course.

The first time I had an issue with my cybook (when for some reason it wouldn't work again after my attempt to update the firmware) wasn't too much of a problem for me as I had bought insurance but by the time it broke again my insurance had sadly run out.

Tags
gen 3, repair, replace