Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
chris_tribble
Enthusiast
chris_tribble began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Directory structure issue

Can anyone explain the folder structure on the PRS-650? I'm using a russified version (not sure if this makes a difference) and am finding that books are duplicated in two directories. I manage assets with Calibre rather than the Sony application.

The directory structure at the root is in the first picture. What confuses me is that books can be found in the S:\database\media\books folder (next picture), and in S:\media\books.

As it seems silly to keep two copies of each book on the device I'd like to remove one... Problem is I get confused as to which to take off.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	351
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	64358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled01.png
Views:	317
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	64359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled02.png
Views:	326
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	64360  
chris_tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I believe the "normal" place to put books is under the [drive:]\database\media\books directory.

If you're using Calibre there are 2 places where you can define the filename structure of the books you send to the reader.

1. Preferences - Sending books to devices - Save template

2. Preferences - Plugins - Device Interface plugins - Sony - Customise plugin - Save Template

I believe #2 takes priority if you have both set. Check what you've got in these boxes to see if one looks "wrong".
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 03:36 AM   #3
chris_tribble
Enthusiast
chris_tribble began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Many thanks for the advice. At the moment both sets of preferences have the same values:

{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}

... so at least this is consistent.

I'm wondering if the slightly odd folder structure arises after "russification"...

At the moment on my PRS-650 my books are stored in one location only:

S:\database\media\books

... so at least I'm in the default place.

There is also, and confusingly, a (now empty folder) at S:\media\books.

As it's empty and not causing problems I'll work on the "if it ain't broken, don't try to fix it" principle - and accept a little uncertainty in my life

Best

C:
chris_tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:35 AM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_tribble View Post
I'm wondering if the slightly odd folder structure arises after "russification"...
Nah.

Quote:
and am finding that books are duplicated in two directories
I'm not sure what you mean with it. Reader itself doesn't copy books around, all manipulations with file system are done from a PC. So books are there were you (your programs) have put it.

Sony doesn't have any particular preference regarding where you store your books. When you disconnect it from USB / switch it on it will search all folders for media (books, images, music). Well, there are some special paths, that reader will NOT look into, but you are unlikely to use them.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote