Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #1
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Need tips for selling epub to libraries

I found a classic, very popular library reference that is in the public domain and has never been converted to an epub. So I decided to jump on it, scanning it, creating an epub and at the same time adding a little content of my own (mostly corrections and updates).

I wondered if anyone could give me some suggestions for selling to libraries. For starters, I know it's important to get some reviews. How do I do that? Could I just contact some librarians and offer them a free copy of my epub in exchange for a review? And is a legitimate review something that only appears in a particular forum (e.g. a publication targeting librarians), or could I ask people to post reviews on my blog?

I've been told that many, most or perhaps almost all libraries don't even purchase epubs. Instead, they apparently subscribe to a service offered by one of two companies, Gale and (I can't remember the name of the other one at the moment). I've also learned that Gale generally doesn't work with self-publishers, only working with commercial publishers. So it looks like I could find myself effectively locked out of the system.

Can anyone shed some light on how this all works? Is there a good chance I could get Gale to accept my book if it's already an established and very popular library reference? Does Gale buy books outright, or does it pay an annual licensing fee or something like that?

Do you think it's likely that some libraries would indeed purchase my epub directly if they learned that it's a very popular reference and won't be available through Gale?

I've also considered the possibility of giving libraries a discount, which would at least help publicize my book. However, I'm not sure if this would create problems with other sellers. For example, would Amazon sell my epub for $50 if they know I'm offering it to libraries for $25?

I'm not asking anyone to answer all of my questions, but any tips that would help fill in the blanks would be appreciated. Thanks.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
I found a classic, very popular library reference that is in the public domain and has never been converted to an epub. So I decided to jump on it, scanning it, creating an epub and at the same time adding a little content of my own (mostly corrections and updates).

I wondered if anyone could give me some suggestions for selling to libraries. For starters, I know it's important to get some reviews. How do I do that? Could I just contact some librarians and offer them a free copy of my epub in exchange for a review? And is a legitimate review something that only appears in a particular forum (e.g. a publication targeting librarians), or could I ask people to post reviews on my blog?

I've been told that many, most or perhaps almost all libraries don't even purchase epubs. Instead, they apparently subscribe to a service offered by one of two companies, Gale and (I can't remember the name of the other one at the moment). I've also learned that Gale generally doesn't work with self-publishers, only working with commercial publishers. So it looks like I could find myself effectively locked out of the system.

Can anyone shed some light on how this all works? Is there a good chance I could get Gale to accept my book if it's already an established and very popular library reference? Does Gale buy books outright, or does it pay an annual licensing fee or something like that?

Do you think it's likely that some libraries would indeed purchase my epub directly if they learned that it's a very popular reference and won't be available through Gale?

I've also considered the possibility of giving libraries a discount, which would at least help publicize my book. However, I'm not sure if this would create problems with other sellers. For example, would Amazon sell my epub for $50 if they know I'm offering it to libraries for $25?

I'm not asking anyone to answer all of my questions, but any tips that would help fill in the blanks would be appreciated. Thanks.
Good luck.
Libraries typically can't buy from individuals.
Gale won't touch you.
Though since you seem like a nice guy, here is the one person that may can help.
http://www.ebooksareforever.com
Though before you even go there, the book price to the library is $4.99.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, $5 per book! In fact, I've considered giving my first book to libraries free of charge, as it will promote my second book, which is far bigger project.

I've thought about promoting it as a freebie among libraries for a few weeks, then putting it up for sale to a general audience on Amazon and iBooks. Still, it would be nice to at least try and sell a few books to libraries.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will give you a few more tips.
If you really want to get libraries or Joe interested in your book, it had best be flawless.
Libraries as a whole typically don't have the time or resources to look at self-published books.
Is this public domain book already in libraries? If not, I think you would be wasting your time going that route.
Just do what you want to the book and put it up for sale on Amazon. If you go select with them, you can make your book free for 5 days out of every 90 days.

Now before you go to all the trouble, are you sure this book hasn't been converted and what makes it so valuable?

Also hire a proofreader and editor at least for anything you add.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 02-01-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:34 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Oh and let me know when you get it done.
Advert
Old 02-01-2017, 09:54 PM   #6
SigilBear
Banned

The book I'm working on is titled State Names, Flags, Seals, Birds, Flowers, and Other Symbols by George Earlie Shankle. It appears that it's one of just two standard library references focusing on state symbols. Shankle's book is a classic, but it's horribly outdated; first published before WWII, it doesn't even discuss Alaska and Hawaii.

The second book, though much more recent, is also horribly outdated. Both books have a number of enormous flaws. I've spent a lot of time researching state symbols, beginning in the 1980s, and would give each book a C at best.

One thing that blows me away is the images. Both books have pictures of nothing more than the state flags and seals, and they're almost unbelievably crappy pictures - even in the newer book. The flag pictures aren't even in color!

The first book (Shankle) is in the public domain. It's sold by Amazon - but only the print version. I've found no evidence that an epub version exists yet. Mine will be finished in a couple weeks. Even if competition emerges, I think I can hold my own because my book will serve largely to promote my second book, which will be the definitive state symbols reference. I can also support my books with my websites, though they need a lot of work.

In summary, I think I've stumbled onto a unique opportunity. I'm extremely optimistic that my book will be well received; the only problem is navigating the maze so I can connect with libraries. I don't foresee any major problems selling my books via Amazon and iBooks. The second book will probably have a very large potential market, but I suspect the first book, largely because of its age, will appeal primarily to libraries.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:10 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Shankle's book was first published in 1934 correct? (with updated editions published later)

Are you sure it is in the public domain?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:21 PM   #8
SigilBear
Banned

Yes, I contacted its current publisher, and they verified that it's in the public domain. I also found a scanned version at Google Books, though I can't find it now. I wonder if the publisher objected to Google putting a scanned version of THEIR version online.

"Thank you for your inquiry. I can confirm that this title is out of print and the content within is considered public domain. You are free to include quote portions on your website without further permission. "

Last edited by SigilBear; 02-01-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:27 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just surprising since it should be 95 years from publication for it to be PD (assuming the copyright was renewed decades back).
Old 02-01-2017, 11:36 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
The book I'm working on is titled State Names, Flags, Seals, Birds, Flowers, and Other Symbols by George Earlie Shankle. It appears that it's one of just two standard library references focusing on state symbols. Shankle's book is a classic, but it's horribly outdated; first published before WWII, it doesn't even discuss Alaska and Hawaii.

The second book, though much more recent, is also horribly outdated. Both books have a number of enormous flaws. I've spent a lot of time researching state symbols, beginning in the 1980s, and would give each book a C at best.

One thing that blows me away is the images. Both books have pictures of nothing more than the state flags and seals, and they're almost unbelievably crappy pictures - even in the newer book. The flag pictures aren't even in color!

The first book (Shankle) is in the public domain. It's sold by Amazon - but only the print version. I've found no evidence that an epub version exists yet. Mine will be finished in a couple weeks. Even if competition emerges, I think I can hold my own because my book will serve largely to promote my second book, which will be the definitive state symbols reference. I can also support my books with my websites, though they need a lot of work.

In summary, I think I've stumbled onto a unique opportunity. I'm extremely optimistic that my book will be well received; the only problem is navigating the maze so I can connect with libraries. I don't foresee any major problems selling my books via Amazon and iBooks. The second book will probably have a very large potential market, but I suspect the first book, largely because of its age, will appeal primarily to libraries.
Public Domain is Life+70. Did the author die before 1946? If no, then the book is not public domain.

I suspect it would not appeal as not many people need a book like that. Sorry but the yahoos at Google have made that book totally obsolete.

You can sell copies of printed books because you would no longer own the copy. That has nothing to do with public domain.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:40 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

I think you better make dang sure that author has been dead since 1946 or earlier, otherwise you could be in heaps of trouble.
Anyway good luck. I really don't see a big demand for this book.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #12
SigilBear
Banned

Yes, I don't expect it to be a best seller. But it is a standard reference in libraries, so I think there would be some demand there. If I'm wrong, then I can always give some to libraries for free. It would be a good way to publicize my second book, which will be the definitive state symbols reference. But it is interesting to see that the book selling racket has become even more convoluted than it was when I self-published a paperback years ago.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:22 AM   #13
SigilBear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I think you better make dang sure that author has been dead since 1946 or earlier, otherwise you could be in heaps of trouble.
It just occurred to me that even if the author didn't die until last year, he still wouldn't be able to sue me if he's dead. I suppose someone could sue me on his behalf or just for the sake of suing me, but I wonder how likely that would be.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Public Domain is Life+70. Did the author die before 1946?
PD is 95 years from publication for titles published at that time, provided that the copyright was renewed when needed way back.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
PD is 95 years from publication for titles published at that time, provided that the copyright was renewed when needed way back.
So he could publish in say 2029.

Tags
gale, library