Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
ParaplegicRacer
ParaplegicRacer began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre (Linux), Moon+ Reader (Android)
ACSM alternative?

I once was able to get ADE to work in WINE. An OS update fixed that for me and the dumb program refuses to download the epub, claiming inability to access the network or a bad URI reference. Of course, now I can't get ANY version of ADE to work at all under WINE.

Are there any third-party programs able to download the epub, with or without first dealing with DRM, if any?

I haven't found any and I am somewhat shocked if this isn't around, yet.

Also, is there a way to buy and download+read from the iStore without Apple's software?

Last edited by ParaplegicRacer; 01-27-2017 at 01:26 PM.
ParaplegicRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
ADE is the only way to utilize an ACSM to download an Adobe DRM'd ePub.

ADE 1.7.2, which is what most people run under WINE, no longer works for downloading content from most (all?) sources (the error you posted is one many get with 1.7.2 or 2.0) and 2.0.1 is the oldest version that currently works. There were some threads around here about getting 2.0.1 working in WINE.

iBooks is strictly an iOS, Mac OS, iTunes thing. If the books are DRM free the ePub you get can be read anywhere once it's downloaded, but you need to go through Apple to do that download (and of course many books are DRM'd).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #3
ParaplegicRacer
ParaplegicRacer began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre (Linux), Moon+ Reader (Android)
I finally managed to get ADE 4.5.1 to work under PlayOnLinux. I'd rather be running 2.0.1 but at least I can read my purchases. Appropriate comments in stores, complaining about inability to read because of OS unsupported by Adobe, have been left.

Reading through Adobe's forums, it seems ADE is a problem child on every OS. And Adobe is TERRIBLE with support of this program. I wonder why they don't publish an API for the content network. Then they wouldn't have to worry about maintaining client software and could focus on the servers.
ParaplegicRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:57 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Now that I think about it there is the RMSDK which companies like Sony and BlueFire have used to make desktop software as well that will download Adobe DRM'd books. Of course Sony's software is no longer in development & was Windows and Mac only and BlueFire's desktop software is Windows only AFAIK.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaplegicRacer View Post
I finally managed to get ADE 4.5.1 to work under PlayOnLinux. I'd rather be running 2.0.1 but at least I can read my purchases. Appropriate comments in stores, complaining about inability to read because of OS unsupported by Adobe, have been left.

Reading through Adobe's forums, it seems ADE is a problem child on every OS. And Adobe is TERRIBLE with support of this program. I wonder why they don't publish an API for the content network. Then they wouldn't have to worry about maintaining client software and could focus on the servers.
Don't say you've not been warned about using a version of ADE past 2.0.1. If you do, you risk downloading eBooks that can not have the DRM removed. Go install ADE 2.0.1 and don't risk your eBooks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Now that I think about it there is the RMSDK which companies like Sony and BlueFire have used to make desktop software as well that will download Adobe DRM'd books. Of course Sony's software is no longer in development & was Windows and Mac only and BlueFire's desktop software is Windows only AFAIK.
The version of RMDSK Sony used is too old and Bluefire (I think) is some version RMDSK 3.x. Sony being too old may not download in some cases and Bluefire being too new could download with the new DRM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
acsm, ade, linux, wine