Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #46
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1t0 View Post
Do you mean "Do not allow your Kindle to turn off Airplane mode."?
Nice catch.
Of course the author does.

Try reading the (now re-written) DGA-1 first post -
New methods, does not give a cr.. about Airplane mode.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #47
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
There is now a simple reliable universal jailbreak for all the kindles using this firmware downgrade method. Please link to the posts instead of the attachments (which are likely to change without notice).
To "hack all the kindles", the first step (universal downgrade) is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877

And the second step (universal jailbreak) is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275887
The DGA-1 is no longer divided into steps.
So that first link no longer leads to the information intended in your post (or the first link in your Jailbreak Index page either).
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #48
T1t0
T1t0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 7th Generation
Quote:
He is a self-proclaimed "user experience" expert. We should not question him with picky technical details like that when only the "eye candy" is important. Us nerds have this abnormal problem of preferring technical accuracy over user "feelings" about documentation. Recent thread posts by the OP make that obvious.
First I didn't understood your posting. Now, after reading most of the thread I understand...

I jailbreaked my KT2 5.6.5 about one week ago and now I read about the new method. I just found the tutorial and the mistake and wanted to give a little help back to the community. I didn't recognized that he is an "expert"...

Btw. Do I have to flash any new hotfix tom my jailbreaked KT2? It's now on 5.8.1. Kual is working, all is fine, so I think I can stay on that verion and hotfix?

Thanks for your nice work!
T1t0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #49
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The DGA-1 is no longer divided into steps.
So that first link no longer leads to the information intended in your post (or the first link in your Jailbreak Index page either).
I updated that and two other locations I posted the these links. However, the system here will not let me update the links in two other relevant threads. I get this:
Quote:
Unable to process the request. Please try again later.
I am curious HOW MUCH later. I waited quite a long while and I still get that. It previously prevented me from updating obsolete stuff in a bunch of my old posts many weeks ago.

Why does this website impose such a limitation that FORCES bit-rot by preventing bulk link maintenance edits? I want to fix my old stuff, but I can only do three edits and it stops me this way for a LONG TIME (during which I move on to other things and rule-enforced bit-rot prevails).

So I guess the other places will just have to stay the old way. I have to time to deal with this "waiting game".
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #50
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
First I didn't understood your posting. Now, after reading most of the thread I understand...

I jailbreaked my KT2 5.6.5 about one week ago and now I read about the new method. I just found the tutorial and the mistake and wanted to give a little help back to the community. I didn't recognized that he is an "expert"...

Btw. Do I have to flash any new hotfix tom my jailbreaked KT2? It's now on 5.8.1. Kual is working, all is fine, so I think I can stay on that verion and hotfix?

Thanks for your nice work!
Nothing required by your situation.
The change to the 'hotfix' did not affect anyone that used it prior to the 'fix' of the 'hotfix' yesterday.
It only had to be tweaked to work with the factory initial firmwares (I guess Lab126 doesn't normal jb their devices or at least doesn't post here about any failures of the jb).

Last edited by knc1; 07-05-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #51
swifty
Enthusiast
swifty began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Do you mean "Do not allow your Kindle to turn off Airplane mode."?
Thanks for the feedback, fixed!
swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #52
swifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Really? Along with that "ha ha" about our posting styles make me raise an eyebrow. Is "User Experience Design" some arcane branch of psychological studies, or is that somehow related to computer science?
Quote:
He is a self-proclaimed "user experience" expert. We should not question him with picky technical details like that when only the "eye candy" is important. Us nerds have this abnormal problem of preferring technical accuracy over user "feelings" about documentation. Recent thread posts by the OP make that obvious.
That's quite rude.

Last edited by swifty; 07-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #53
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
That's quite rude.
Not my intention to be rude. Merely a truthful observation of the overall trend of this thread. This is how hackers communicate. Read the links I posted earlier. The misperceived rudeness is merely your misinterpretation. I think your emotion-based UX training would be better understood and accepted in the parent Amazon forum, especially after you expressed your disapproval of us and our precise technical geek-like ways (with colorful highlights and bold attributes in our text and our thoughts). We are more into command-line interfaces than emotional aspects of our projects here.

EDIT: UX has its place in mass-market appeal, but is not much use in a specialty technical forum like ours. However, you are very welcome here if you can learn to fit in and not try to change us to be more like you.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-05-2016 at 10:45 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:47 AM   #54
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Hey swifty,
Are you ready for the questions when someone misreads your tutorial?

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 07-05-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #55
swifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Not my intention to be rude. Merely a truthful observation of the overall trend of this thread. This is how hackers communicate. Read the links I posted earlier. The misperceived rudeness is merely your misinterpretation. I think your emotion-based UX training would be better understood and accepted in the parent Amazon forum, especially after you expressed your disapproval of us and our precise technical geek-like ways (with colorful highlights and bold attributes in our text and our thoughts). We are more into command-line interfaces than emotional aspects of our projects here.

EDIT: UX has its place in mass-market appeal, but is not much use in a specialty technical forum like ours. However, you are very welcome here if you can learn to fit in and not try to change us to be more like you.
I think you're confused. It seems that you think only "nerds" / "geeks" should be able to jailbreak and visit this forum.

As you've noticed, my tutorial is made for the general public, so simple that even my grandmother could follow it . That's why I posted it here, and that's why the title of this thread is simplified. A lot more eye-catching and to-the-point than "DAG" .

In the end, I just want to help the community spread the word about jailbreaks to the general public. Not just to "geeks". I want everyone to benefit from the amazing software KUAL can integrate to our Kindles! .

EDIT: I don't think jailbreaking would belong in the parent forum, do you? I don't see any threads there currently on this topic. That's why It was posted here . But if it needs to move, and if this subforum is indeed meant for technical developers, then please let me know and I'll have the moderators do so.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #56
swifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Hey swifty,
Are you ready for the questions when someone misreads your tutorial?
I hoped that the way my tutorial was written, it would eliminate questions and get people going on their way to a jailbroken Kindle

Maybe I should rename the thread to be PW2 specific, so that if someone does have a question and it isn't PW2, then I refer them to the "universal" thread.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #57
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think you're confused. It seems that you think only "nerds" / "geeks" should be able to jailbreak and visit this forum.

As you've noticed, my tutorial is made for the general public, so simple that even my grandmother could follow it . That's why I posted it here, and that's why the title of this thread is simplified. A lot more eye-catching and to-the-point than "DAG" .

In the end, I just want to help the community spread the word about jailbreaks to the general public. Not just to "geeks". I want everyone to benefit from the amazing software KUAL can integrate to our Kindles! .

EDIT: I don't think jailbreaking would belong in the parent forum, do you? I don't see any threads there currently on this topic. That's why It was posted here . But if it needs to move, and if this subforum is indeed meant for technical developers, then please let me know and I'll have the moderators do so.
What I bolded made me giggle. I am assuming you have a very smart grandmother.
Yes, your tutorial appears simple. I am betting you will still get bombarded with questions.
Usually from people that misread or mistranslated the instructions.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #58
swifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
What I bolded made me giggle. I am assuming you have a very smart grandmother.
Yes, your tutorial appears simple. I am betting you will still get bombarded with questions.
Usually from people that misread or mistranslated the instructions.
Haha, my grandmother doesn't even speak English

Yep I'll see to any questions. I'm a full time developer so it shouldn't be a problem as I do have the technical skills to assist anyone with questions. A little new to Kindles but it seems easy enough to pick up
Old 07-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #59
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I hoped that the way my tutorial was written, it would eliminate questions and get people going on their way to a jailbroken Kindle

Maybe I should rename the thread to be PW2 specific, so that if someone does have a question and it isn't PW2, then I refer them to the "universal" thread.
Actually I do have a question. On A4, do I need to just unplug the kindle or do I need to safely eject/remove from the PC?
You just have unplug.

Never assume people will know to safely eject.

Now I will finish reading over it and make sure nothing else needs clarified for the user.

Everything else looks easy enough to follow.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 07-05-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:04 AM   #60
swifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Actually I do have a question. On A4, do I need to just unplug the kindle or do I need to safely eject/remove from the PC?
You just have unplug.

Never assume people will know to safely eject.

Now I will finish reading over it and make sure nothing else needs clarified for the user.
Sorry, confused here on what you're helping me with. My tutorial says "Unplug your Kindle from the PC" for each step. I don't think I mentioned safe ejection in the tutorial. Are you suggesting I should have?

Thank you for reading over it, I appreciate your feedback so much