Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-06-2018, 06:29 AM   #31
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They still have all the usual PC issues of long start-up times, etc. With my iPad, I just grab it, open the cover, touch the fingerprint scanner, and I'm in. Probably 2 or 3 seconds for the whole process. With my Surface Pro it's a case of switching it on and going to make a cup of tea while it boots up!
Have you tried hibernating it instead of powering it down?
My Asus T100TA powers up in seconds that way.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:30 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Have you tried hibernating it instead of powering it down?
My Asus T100TA powers up in seconds that way.
I've never had much luck with hibernate/sleep on PCs. It always seems flaky to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2018, 06:42 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I just think, Jon, that Windows tablets really bring nothing to the party. The whole point of a tablet for me is "grab and use". If you're going to read on a PC, may as well use a laptop. I only ever use my Surface Pro as a laptop, never as a tablet.
Have you ever removed the keyboard and rotated it sideways to read? It works pretty well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:57 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you ever removed the keyboard and rotated it sideways to read? It works pretty well.
Yes. I find it to be too heavy to comfortably hold.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:04 AM   #35
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Before I got an e-reader, Calibre was it. It, plus the Patricia Clark Memorial LIbrary (here) and Project Gutenberg, had me downloading favorites like crazy, and I read several books cover to cover using the Calibre reader.

I still use that when I am reading via my pc. It's a complete library/reading system for me.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #36
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I've never had much luck with hibernate/sleep on PCs. It always seems flaky to me.
Both hibernate and sleep worked great under linux on PCs with APM. ACPI has been a total disaster.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #37
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Quote:
They still have all the usual PC issues of long start-up times, etc. With my iPad, I just grab it, open the cover, touch the fingerprint scanner, and I'm in. Probably 2 or 3 seconds for the whole process. With my Surface Pro it's a case of switching it on and going to make a cup of tea while it boots up!
Depends on the technology choices made by the people who build the PC. Surface, Surface Book etc. use UEFI boot management, plus smart 'suspend' settings in the BIOS. Result: mostly it takes less than 1 second to go from 'powered down' to 'starting reading' - and it is never more than ten seconds.

Unless there is an update waiting to install. D*mn those updates!
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
It seems like you are completely shutting down your Windows machine while you are putting your iPad to sleep. That doesn't seem like a fair comparison.

I bought a very inexpensive Windows tablet as an experiment. It works as well as any other tablet I've used.

I wish the Windows apps were nicer. None of the comic reader apps are as nice as their Android counterparts. But Windows 10 works fine for me as a touch oriented OS.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #39
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My Surface Pro 4 wakes just fine from sleep mode. I do not have problems with it and it takes 3 seconds to wake. I do not find the weight a problem and like being able to pick my books right from Calibre. The only thing I wish for, Calibre wise, is that Calibre would support touch screens. If it did it would be perfect to me.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #40
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by LH07 View Post
hi does anyone read on their pc if so what app/program do you use . I have windows 10 and
would like to find something i can add my own books to so i can read on my pc
but cant find anything
Before there was Calibre, ADE, tablets, and most other readers, there was yBook. Its what I used before I switched to Mac. Its now yBook2, its free and works with XP onwards. Presumably would be OK with W10 as well. I loved it because of its configurability.

http://spacejock.com/yBook2.html
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Before there was Calibre, ADE, tablets, and most other readers, there was yBook. Its what I used before I switched to Mac. Its now yBook2, its free and works with XP onwards. Presumably would be OK with W10 as well. I loved it because of its configurability.

http://spacejock.com/yBook2.html
From the screenshots, it looks like yBook2 doesn't have hyphenation. Does yBook2 have hyphenation?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #42
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From the screenshots, it looks like yBook2 doesn't have hyphenation. Does yBook2 have hyphenation?
I have no idea, Jon. I havent used it since yBook, which didnt. But since I dont use it, it never bothered me.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #43
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Most odd.
It's always worked flawlessly for me.
And Win10 does it even faster. I just timed my Asus at 13 seconds startup from hibernation.

fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #44
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I have done a fair amount of reading on a PC, a older desktop system, as a beta reader for a couple of authors. One sent the Manuscripts in Wordperfect format and I used the WP editor to do the reading. The other sent the files in MS Word DOCX format. Lots of reader programs can read those files or they can be converted by multiple utilities. For normal ebook files I have Kindle, Kobo and Sony ebook readers so can read almost any common ebook format on one of them. Next time I get a DOCX format book file to read I will email it to a Kindle and let Amazon convert it for me.

Last edited by Richwood; 02-06-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #45
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I use my Sony Reader For PC software. I read the majority of my books on my pc or on my smartphone. I also use Kindle for pc software.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote