Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's in short supply in winter for those of us in high northern latitudes .
It could be worse. You could be part of the Danish and American personnel stationed at Thule. Currently, they are waiting for sunrise on Feb. 10, 2018 around 12:22 PM.

As the old joke goes, "Where were you the night of Oct. 31, 2017 to Feb. 10, 2018 inclusive?"
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:38 AM   #17
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Just a thought. When I'm on a walking holiday and sleeping in a dormitory, there are two things that are seriously annoying. Crunchy plastic bags and head torches.
I have been known to explain thus 'shine that thing in my eyes once more, and I will rip it off your head, jump up and down on it, then make you eat the pieces'
So, if you have a bed partner, please be careful where you point it 😀
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2018, 05:46 AM   #18
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
If you’re after a good head-mounted light, I’d suggest visiting an outdoor store. They’re extensively used by hikers.
If you get a hiking one make sure it has different light settings, most of them give out enough light for you to comfortably read 100 yards away.

You probably want something about 30-40 lumen.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:48 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are getting this head light to read in bed with someone else also in bed, forget it and get a Reader and a front light otherwise, you'll be sleeping on the couch.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:09 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
That's in short supply in winter for those of us in high northern latitudes .
You're about 4° further north than I am, which gives me an extra 25 minutes of daylight.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2018, 10:14 PM   #21
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
It could be worse. You could be part of the Danish and American personnel stationed at Thule. Currently, they are waiting for sunrise on Feb. 10, 2018 around 12:22 PM.

As the old joke goes, "Where were you the night of Oct. 31, 2017 to Feb. 10, 2018 inclusive?"
Could be worse such as being stationed in the Antarctic.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:37 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You're about 4° further north than I am, which gives me an extra 25 minutes of daylight.
About 7 degrees, I think. Seattle is at 46N; I'm at 53N.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:45 AM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
About 7 degrees, I think. Seattle is at 46N; I'm at 53N.
I was using London. It's 51.5N and Seattle is 47.5N
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:00 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm actually at 53.5N, so it's 6 degrees, in that case. Anyway, whatever it is, we don't see the sun that much in winter, although today is a rare exception - a sunny but very cold day .
Old 01-30-2018, 05:56 AM   #25
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
I'm actually at 53.5N, so it's 6 degrees, in that case. Anyway, whatever it is, we don't see the sun that much in winter, although today is a rare exception - a sunny but very cold day .
Friday was good as well, wandered over to the beer festival.

We're going to have to give up our rainy city reputation at this rate.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:25 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Could be worse such as being stationed in the Antarctic.
True, Amundsen-Scott South Pole station is closer to the south pole than Thule is to the north pole so it has a longer polar night and midnight sun. Neither is my idea of a great spot to live.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #27
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I use a Petzl Tikkina headlamp. Mine is the older (discontinued) version. It has two regular LEDs in it as opposed to the newer headlamps that have one super bright LED.

I bought this light specifically for reading, after much research to find just the right one, and these are the features that drew me to it:
  • Simple settings: OFF, LOW, and HIGH. None of those stupid flashy modes you have to cycle through that are so annoying. I mean, who wears a headlamp that is flashing SOS on their head?!
  • Low light output. You don't want mega power. You're just trying to read a book maybe two feet in front of your face. High power works against you, not for you.
  • Common batteries: Three AAA's. I have been using this thing for years and years and have not had to replace the batteries yet!
  • Very small and lightweight. Comfortable.
  • Cheap: I paid $12.95 for it.

Improvements I made to it: The beam had brighter and dimmer rings to it, as all but the highest end lights do. This is not noticeable for normal activities, but you can see it on a printed page of paper close to your face (if you're looking for it). I wanted a nice even diffuse beam with a wide spread. Scotch tape to the rescue! That frosted-looking variety (most is this way nowadays). I taped two layers of that over the light's lens and now I have a beautiful diffuse wide beam. I trimmed the excess tape with an Exacto knife and now you can't even tell it's there by looking at the light.

I wish this particular light was still made. I would buy another, to have as a spare, it works so well. Petzl does still make the Tikkina headlamp, but it is different now. It uses a single bright LED. Does this matter? I don't know. But *if* the new model performs as my old model does (no flashy modes, simple interface, wide beam, not super bright) then it might be worth looking into. As I look on Amazon, I see the newest version (as described on the Petzl website) is available. I also see an older version is available too (lower lumen output - may actually be better for close in reading). But I don't find my oldest version available any more. Mine probably has even less lumens than either of these two versions available on Amazon.

Petzl website:
https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/CL...dlamps/TIKKINA

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Petzl-TIKKINA...b_title_sports

https://www.amazon.com/Petzl-TIKKINA...ina&th=1&psc=1
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:38 AM   #28
cobrax3
Connoisseur
cobrax3 began at the beginning.

Device: PW1
maybe an usb lamp to be connected tu the port of the reader?
cobrax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:40 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrax3 View Post
maybe an usb lamp to be connected tu the port of the reader?
The overwhelming majority of eInk readers are USB clients, not USB hosts, hence you can't plug anything into the USB port.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:47 AM   #30
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Doesn't head movement create distracting shifting shadows etc? I guess if the beam is wide enough it wouldn't but it would have to cover the extremes of left and right and that's pretty wide. A beam that wide would be distracting to a partner or spouse at which point a bedside lamp would be as good if not better.

At least that's what I imagine, I haven't tried using one. I have one for power outages but I've never used it for reading and since I live alone I put on whatever damn lights I please
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote