Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-18-2018, 11:03 AM   #31
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
@Notjohn, you are ALWAYS recommending this site to newbies. Did you know that it did THIS??? That is total SHITE.

Hitch
Well, shite in = shite out. I've never seen anything but absolutely clean html. (And I make no effort to use styles in Word.) Indeed, I opened that sample chapter, linked the style sheet, Prettyfied it, and it was a hound's tooth. No space tags whatever. There were three errors from Flight Crew, but those came from the shite in.

If you managed to reproduce them, I can't imagine how you did it. I would post the result here, but I rebooted my computer yesterday and it's gone.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #32
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by awcross View Post
My process for formatting in Sigil is this:

[...]
2. paste into word2cleanhtml. Copy.
You don't have to use an external website. In addition to Toxaris's e-PUB Tools Word add-in, you could also use DiapDealer's DOCXImport Sigil plugin, which generates pretty clean HTML files.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Well, shite in = shite out. I've never seen anything but absolutely clean html. (And I make no effort to use styles in Word.) Indeed, I opened that sample chapter, linked the style sheet, Prettyfied it, and it was a hound's tooth. No space tags whatever. There were three errors from Flight Crew, but those came from the shite in.

If you managed to reproduce them, I can't imagine how you did it. I would post the result here, but I rebooted my computer yesterday and it's gone.
Reproduce them? No, I just opened this guy's file. No idea what that cruft is, but I'm pretty surprised to see it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You don't have to use an external website. In addition to Toxaris's e-PUB Tools Word add-in, you could also use DiapDealer's DOCXImport Sigil plugin, which generates pretty clean HTML files.
Yup, both are excellent.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:35 AM   #34
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
NJ, yes Sigil's Prettify fixes the superfluous spacing and line feeds, but what a shame that it should be necessary to do that. Someone who is doing their editing in a text editor *rather than Sigil* is going to have a rough road with Search and Replace if line feed and/or spaces fall in the middle of the phrase they are searching for.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:46 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Depending on the formatting of the eBook, it might be easier to save as text from Word and apply the styles manually in the ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If I may, perhaps that's because you're NOT a commercial formatter? You're only formatting your OWN STUFF, which is fairly clean to begin with. So, of course, some idiot website "cleans" your HTML--because there's very little to clean. I'll bet, having seen that cruft, that it couldn't come close to cleaning the shite we see here at my shop--and that would mean, the same for all those poor souls you've sent there.

I mean, think about it. Otherwise, you're saying that your source files are all garbage? I suspect not. I mean, I am gobsmacked that those lf codes came through, on an allegedly "cleaned" file.

My entire point, NJ, is that you might want to run some tests, with files OTHER than your own, to see if that site actually does ANYTHING. Given that you recommend it far and wide????? I'm not criticizing you; I'm saying, this is an opportunity for you to revisit your recommendation.

Hitch
Old 01-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #37
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I am gobsmacked that those lf codes came through, on an allegedly "cleaned" file.
But Hitch, I opened that selfsame file in Sigil, linked it to the style sheet, Prettified it, and I didn't see any of the flaws you describe. No space tags. Flight Crew did show three errors, but two of them were easily fixed by using the TOC and Metadata tools. (I forget what the third error was.)

And to recapitulate: I write in WordStar, open in Word for tweaking, and save to *.docx. I don't use Styles at all. For me, Word is just a virtual typewriter whose only virtue is that it can do curly quotes and em dashes, and is accepted by other softwares and by my editor.

The closest thing to a problem I've ever had with Word2Clean was when I fed it an OpenOffice Writer doc and instead of <p> tags it gave me <p class="normal"> which was readily fixed by doing a search and replace.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:13 PM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
But Hitch, I opened that selfsame file in Sigil, linked it to the style sheet, Prettified it, and I didn't see any of the flaws you describe.
I'm not sure why you're having such a hard time understanding everyone's point, so I'll try to make it plain: if the word2clean site creates such clean html, why on earth does it need to be mended and prettified with Sigil? The point is that the html produced by word2clean - BEFORE YOU PRETTIFIED IT WITH SIGIL - was quite ugly.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-21-2018 at 07:16 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:25 AM   #39
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not sure why you're having such a hard time understanding everyone's point, so I'll try to make it plain: if the word2clean site creates such clean html, why on earth does it need to be mended and prettified with Sigil? The point is that the html produced by word2clean - BEFORE YOU PRETTIFIED IT WITH SIGIL - was quite ugly.
Thanks, D. That was, indeed, my precise point. If the whole point of "Word2Clean" is to CLEAN the HTML...shouldn't it, in fact, be clean???

Hitch
Old 01-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Never mind the empty elements--both block and inline.

What exactly is:
Code:
<p>
    <em> </em>
</p>
supposed to accomplish any way?
Old 01-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Personally, I've cleaned some Word crud manually and the thing is, I know what the changes are vs some website that does it and I have no idea what's been changed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:24 AM   #42
Maui
Connoisseur
Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Never mind the empty elements--both block and inline.

What exactly is:
Code:
<p>
    <em> </em>
</p>
supposed to accomplish any way?
Assuming there are margins in the browsers/readers stylesheet for <p> or in the user stylesheet, this will result in an emphasized space between two other elements
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Assuming there are margins in the browsers/readers stylesheet for <p> or in the user stylesheet, this will result in an emphasized space between two other elements
Not with many renderers it won't. If you're not going to use css for vertical space between elements (and you should), then you need to have some sort of content for that vertical spacing to properly render across the widest range of rendering engines.

Typically something like:
Code:
<p>&nbsp;</p>
or
Code:
<p><br/></p>
is often utilized.

The empty tags pointed out above will often result in no vertical spacing whatsoever on many reading devices/apps.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #44
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Please see what Diap said. That's really not right.

Hitch
Old 01-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #45
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
See above comments...but I got quite the chuckle out of it!!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paragraph indent, paragraph spacing, paragraphing