Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
swapjim
swapjim began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is sideloading as simple as a drag-n-drop?

Is sideloading a book to a reader as simple as connecting the reader on my PC (Windows 7 and FreeBSD) and do a drag-n-drop of the file?

This is a general question about the status quo of the readers out there. I understand that I'll need to research the specific reader I'll be buying to make sure it works the way I want to.

My plan is to never, ever put the reader online, keep all ebooks on my external hard drive, and expect nothing from the cloud, be it storage of syncing.
swapjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:47 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Click on the ebook> Send to> Pick Device you want it on. Click on Device. Go to PC to Device & Click & drag to ebook to the correct folder. Eject reboot turn on Device ...there is your ebook!!! Some steps my vary for different devices...but this is it.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 11:00 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapjim View Post
Is sideloading a book to a reader as simple as connecting the reader on my PC (Windows 7 and FreeBSD) and do a drag-n-drop of the file?

This is a general question about the status quo of the readers out there. I understand that I'll need to research the specific reader I'll be buying to make sure it works the way I want to.

My plan is to never, ever put the reader online, keep all ebooks on my external hard drive, and expect nothing from the cloud, be it storage of syncing.
Generally, yes, if the books have no DRM. They must be in the right format for the reader, naturally. With Kindles it's azw3 (mobi works too, but azw3 is better) and you must copy the book not to the root folder, but to the documents folder.

If you're a Calibre user, then you can use Calibre for sending your books to your reader.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:04 PM   #4
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I download all of my books to my pc, and side load.

I utilize Calibre to re-convert my epubs after disinfecting any that have DRM. Very few do, since I no longer buy books from the BPHs, I will only utilize public library for their copies of ebooks.

However, I have my main copies on my pc, and also backed up on an Iomega drive.

My main reader on my pc is Sony Reader for PC. This is where I download library books to for reading.

I utilize Moonreader Pro on 3 smartphones and one tablet for side loaded books.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

It can be that easy, yes. But would recommend learning about using Calibre to manage both your library on the external hard drive and sideloading. There's Calibre versions for Windows (32 and 64-bit), Mac and Linux. Not sure what would be needed to get it running on FreeBSD.

Calibre makes it easy to edit metadata on your books, change their covers and even edit the books if they are poorly formatted. It also makes it easy to convert books from one format to another and can assist with stripping DRM if you install the Apprentice Alf plug-ins.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:

I look past any devices where it's more complicated than this. I want it to work as follows:

1. Stick a microSD card in the computer.
2. Copy the files.
3. Remove the microSD from the computer and stick it in the ereader.
4. Start reading on the ereader.

This presupposes that you don't buy DRM-protected books or, if you do, you are ready to go through the hassle of enabling them on the ereader. It can be done though.

Also, ereaders cannot display all sorts of random files, but they can legitimately be expected to show files for reading: epub, mobi, pdf, djvu, doc, rtf, txt, htm(l). In general, all ereaders can display all these formats, except Kindle does not do epub, but this is fixed by installing another reader-app, such as Cool Reader or Koreader.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Also, ereaders cannot display all sorts of random files, but they can legitimately be expected to show files for reading: epub, mobi, pdf, djvu, doc, rtf, txt, htm(l). In general, all ereaders can display all these formats, except Kindle does not do epub, but this is fixed by installing another reader-app, such as Cool Reader or Koreader.
You cannot install anything on a Kindle without jailbreaking it first. I would think that converting epub to azw3 or mobi is much simpler than jailbreaking.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I look past any devices where it's more complicated than this. I want it to work as follows:

2. Copy the files.
That would work on a Kobo. But using Calibre will ensure things like metadata, so you can long press on a book cover to get a brief synopsis and it will show if the book is part of a series and what part it is.

Quote:
Also, ereaders cannot display all sorts of random files, but they can legitimately be expected to show files for reading... except Kindle does not do epub, but this is fixed by installing another reader-app, such as Cool Reader or Koreader.
That feels a little penny wise/pound foolish.

You can jailbreak your Kindle to install an entirely different platform all so you can bypass a free program that will allow you to read the same program natively and is just as easy as drag and drop?

I mean, do what suits you. I just feel like Calibre gives many benefits with minimal headaches. Using Calibre, I've never had any of the issues ejecting my Kobo using any of the preview builds of Windows 10 that I heard complaints about in the forum. Using Calibre, I haven't had any issues ejecting my Glowlight 3 that I've heard others mention in the forum.

(I should go into advertising for Calibre! Or at least donate again...)

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-05-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Yes!

That's the simple answer to your question. All the other complicated answers you're getting are everyone telling you the various ways they prefer to do it. We all have our own way we prefer to sideload books and they all work.

Why are you so eager never to connect your reader to the cloud? I download my books to my Kindle directly from the cloud. It's easy and never a problem. It does give Amazon information about me but I have a lot of information about them too so that's okay.

On my Nook and my Kobo I keep the Wifi off and simply drag and drop books to them from my PC. The reason is that I never have any reason to use Wifi on those although I would turn it on without hesitation if I had a reason.

I saw a bumper sticker once that said "yea I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley". I laughed a while and then after thinking about it I decided that's a worthy goal and i would live up to it. And I have. And Amazon and B&N and Kobo and all the rest stay up at night for fear of me!

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Yes!

That's the simple answer to your question. All the other complicated answers you're getting are everyone telling you the various ways they prefer to do it. We all have our own way we prefer to sideload books and they all work.
Barry, you don't generally use Calibre, right? What would you say is percentage of books that download with no metadata? Mine usually have it, but more than a few show up blank.

I admit I don't need to look up a synopsis for every book on my device, but it bugs me when it doesn't work.

Quote:
Why are you so eager never to connect your reader to the cloud? I download my books to my Kindle directly from the cloud. It's easy and never a problem. It does give Amazon information about me but I have a lot of information about them too so that's okay.

On my Nook and my Kobo I keep the Wifi off and simply drag and drop books to them from my PC. The reason is that I never have any reason to use Wifi on those although I would turn it on without hesitation if I had a reason.
I leave Wi-Fi off on my Kobo mainly because I have it all patched up and don't want new firmware to download and wipe out my hard work. Kobos are great at allowing customization, but I'm not a big fan of the straight out of the box software experience.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

Why are you so eager never to connect your reader to the cloud? I download my books to my Kindle directly from the cloud. It's easy and never a problem.
It's not “never” a problem in general. Managing things locally gives you the final control over them, and avoids putting availability in the hands of your network connectivity and/or a 3rd party's whims.

For some people that’s certainly minor, and the upsides of the cloud to them more than outweigh those issues. And that’s a reasonable personal decision. But it is a personal decision.

For me, it’s easier to organize things once on my computer and then sync them to my e-reader, phone, and laptop than to deal with a clunky cloud interface and trying to get it working with a bunch of devices that may not all be from that cloud vendor’s preferred ecosystem. And a lot of the time when I travel, I don’t have network connectivity, so I prefer having all my books locally available so I can pick what I want to read next without hunting for wi-fi or something.

And some providers have historically deleted books that people have purchased—most notably Amazon, in the 1984/Animal Farm debacle and similar incidents with Ayn Rand and Harry Potter books. They've said they won't do that again unless they really have to, and it’s reasonble to view that as unlikely. It’s also reasonable to decide that keeping control of your books local avoids the risk of changing publishing deals or legal understandings altering what’s in your library.

It’s also just a good security practice to limit the number of things that you connect to outside networks to those that really need it—if you're getting value from the cloud (as you are), then great, security should almost never trump usability. But if you’re not then it’s a decent idea to disable that connection entirely.

It’s much like the debate over keeping personal DVD/music libraries vs. relying on Netflix/Spotify/etc; for some people one’s a better solution, for others the reverse is true. There’s no “one size fits all.”

Last edited by sjfan; 01-05-2018 at 04:29 PM.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #12
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
It's not “never” a problem in general. Managing things locally gives you the final control over them, and avoids putting availability in the hands of your network connectivity and/or a 3rd party's whims.

For some people that’s certainly minor, and the upsides of the cloud to them more than outweigh those issues. And that’s a reasonable personal decision. But it is a personal decision.

For me, it’s easier to organize things once on my computer and then sync them to my e-reader, phone, and laptop than to deal with a clunky cloud interface and trying to get it working with a bunch of devices that may not all be from that cloud vendor’s preferred ecosystem. And a lot of the time when I travel, I don’t have network connectivity, so I prefer having all my books locally available so I can pick what I want to read next without hunting for wi-fi or something.

And some providers have historically deleted books that people have purchased—most notably Amazon, in the 1984/Animal Farm debacle and similar incidents with Ayn Rand and Harry Potter books. They've said they won't do that again unless they really have to, and it’s reasonble to view that as unlikely. It’s also reasonable to decide that keeping control of your books local avoids the risk of changing publishing deals or legal understandings altering what’s in your library.

It’s also just a good security practice to limit the number of things that you connect to outside networks to those that really need it—if you're getting value from the cloud (as you are), then great, security should almost never trump usability. But if you’re not then it’s a decent idea to disable that connection entirely.

It’s much like the debate over keeping personal DVD/music libraries vs. relying on Netflix/Spotify/etc; for some people one’s a better solution, for others the reverse is true. There’s no “one size fits all.”
What incidents with Ayn Rand and Harry Potter? I hadn't heard anything about that?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
What incidents with Ayn Rand and Harry Potter? I hadn't heard anything about that?

Shari
Those two have NEVER gotten along!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Those two have NEVER gotten along!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #15
swapjim
swapjim began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
2. Copy the files.
So I'll take it that all readers that have an SD slot will read books from the SD card. Nice.

Thanks everyone!
swapjim is offline   Reply With Quote