Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You were accused of being a paid shill?

Who knew opinions on MobileRead were so influential?
If I'm going to be a shill, I'm going be well paid for it. These fingertips don't come cheap!

If only...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:30 PM   #32
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If I'm going to be a shill, I'm going be well paid for it. These fingertips don't come cheap!

If only...
Your posts are priceless.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #33
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If only we could buy an ereader with 1TB of internal storage....
I personally am waiting breathlessly with cash in hand for such a device...
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #34
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Onyx and Boyue devices continue to include a micro SD card slot.
And Onyx got my cash because of it. So far, I'm pretty happy with it.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #35
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I just ordered the Boox N96ML which has a screen light and a Micro SD slot that is good for up to a 32 GB card. Never seen a ebook reader that takes larger capacity cards. Amazon currently has a listing for it that offers a 15% off coupon for a price of $280. I just took advantage of it, with a cover, for $309 with Amazon prime shipping so supposed to be here Saturday. Compatible with epubs and Mobi files so Kindle files from Smashwords, Baen and other non Amazon sources should work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...BVKST2SY&psc=1
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #36
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I just also picked up a surplus original Kobo Aura from a ebay seller in the original box for $55 with shipping. Has a memory expansion slot and illuminated screen. Looks to be unused. Seller listing claims to have sold about 3000 of them so presumably bought as excess merchandise from Kobo or a distributor somewhere.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:08 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I just also picked up a surplus original Kobo Aura from a ebay seller in the original box for $55 with shipping. Has a memory expansion slot and illuminated screen. Looks to be unused. Seller listing claims to have sold about 3000 of them so presumably bought as excess merchandise from Kobo or a distributor somewhere.
If the seller was SpinningNoon or something like that, it's the same seller I and a few others have bought from. No regrets.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #38
brianca
Enthusiast
brianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
If the seller was SpinningNoon or something like that, it's the same seller I and a few others have bought from. No regrets.
Yes, that’s who I bought mine from too. In addition to being a great deal, I’ve actually been surprised at how much I like the form factor of the original Aura - the small size compared to my PW, flush bezel, angled back.

It may be a little ridiculous because I don’t have anywhere near enough books to fill it, but having that ability to keep 32gb worth on the SD right in the device is a feature I really value.
brianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:13 AM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianca View Post
Yes, that’s who I bought mine from too. In addition to being a great deal, I’ve actually been surprised at how much I like the form factor of the original Aura - the small size compared to my PW, flush bezel, angled back.

It may be a little ridiculous because I don’t have anywhere near enough books to fill it, but having that ability to keep 32gb worth on the SD right in the device is a feature I really value.
The Aura is a nicely designed, compact little reader. The only complaints I have are:
  1. I think the corners are too sharp when reading naked. Maybe it's just the way I hold it. Putting a case on it solved that.
  2. The SD card sticks out of the bottom of the reader. Just a little, but it was enough that I once ejected the card while reading. Putting it in a case seems to have solved that too.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:43 AM   #40
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
The Aura is a nicely designed, compact little reader. The only complaints I have are:
  1. I think the corners are too sharp when reading naked. Maybe it's just the way I hold it. Putting a case on it solved that.
  2. The SD card sticks out of the bottom of the reader. Just a little, but it was enough that I once ejected the card while reading. Putting it in a case seems to have solved that too.

I won't go into that old and tired joke, in your first point; I'll let someone else do it.

On the other issue, I've heard about the problem with SD cards sticking out from this unit. I don't understand why Kobo doesn't (or didn't) fix that specific issue.

Any thoughts on that?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #41
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your device isn't designed for that.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #42
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
The Aura H2O (original) solves both of those problems. The SD card is behind the waterproof seal/door, which closes flush. But it doesn't have the flush bevels of the original Aura.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #43
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I hope there's a blog or website coming up with reviews on all these eReaders.

(I should talk.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #44
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I hope there's a blog or website coming up with reviews on all these eReaders.

(I should talk.)
Uhm Mobileread?
Old 01-14-2018, 11:54 PM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
On the other issue, I've heard about the problem with SD cards sticking out from this unit. I don't understand why Kobo doesn't (or didn't) fix that specific issue.

Any thoughts on that?
Well, they dumped SD cards from the Aura v2. Fixed!