Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #286
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
In my NST (and NST w/Glowlight) I made a "screensavers" folder, then another folder inside of that (in my case "Saints"). Not sure why I did that (it's been a while) but – somehow – it worked. Maybe Android just searches for images wherever they may be located?
Yes, I'll try it when I have a moment. Have to think the device can tell a jpg from an epub.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #287
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Well, true – but 1GB can hold (according to some estimates) about 3,000 eBooks. So I (personally) think I can "limp along" with the limitation. I'm guessing I'll never own 3,000 eBooks (side-loaded or otherwise, especially since most of my eBooks are coming from the library these days).
3000 ebooks in 1GB is rather optimistic since that would require an average size for the ebooks around 330KB. Most of my epub ebook collection are larger than that with some being in the 200-300MB range -- mostly cooking with lots of images and biographies again with lots of images. Eliminating any ebooks over 1MB which wipes out about 33% of my collection leaves an average size of 624KB.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #288
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
3000 ebooks in 1GB is rather optimistic since that would require an average size for the ebooks around 330KB. Most of my epub ebook collection are larger than that with some being in the 200-300MB range -- mostly cooking with lots of images and biographies again with lots of images. Eliminating any ebooks over 1MB which wipes out about 33% of my collection leaves an average size of 624KB.
Correct. By carefully limiting the size of images and covers, I might be able to squeeze 2,000 books in. Never 3,000. And, anyway, we're only getting 0.95G!
Old 11-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #289
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
My point still holds (for me). I currently have probably less than 300 (200?) eBooks all together, split over all three eReader formats (Kindle, Nook and Sony/Kobo). About 1/3 of these are side-loaded. So "only" 1,500 books on 1 GB of RAM would still be more than I'll ever need.

EDIT: After taking a closer look, it appears I have closer to 400 eBooks. About 30 sideloaded to my Nooks.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-13-2017 at 02:23 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #290
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Quote:
My point still holds (for me). I currently have probably less than 300 (200?) eBooks all together, split over all three eReader formats (Kindle, Nook and Sony/Kobo). About 1/3 of these are side-loaded. So "only" 1,500 books on 1 GB of RAM would still be more than I'll ever need.

EDIT: After taking a closer look, it appears I have closer to 400 eBooks. About 30 sideloaded to my Nooks.
On my NST w/Glowlight I have 1392 ebooks they take up 906.5 MB on the sd card.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #291
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
On my NST w/Glowlight I have 1392 ebooks they take up 906.5 MB on the sd card.
I looked up my numbers on the Internet. Someone was estimating, using some kind of formula – looks like he didn't get it right. But 1,500 looks close. Still more than I'll ever need.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #292
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Kind of frustrating trying to shelve books on the new device. NOOKs have never been good at this. Occasionally get the "Unfortunately, NOOK has stopped" error message, which tells me less than nothing.

Also, (as in previous NOOKs) this device is having a hard time keeping track of the cover thumbnail images on the shelves and in the list of books. Sometimes there, sometimes not. Grrr.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #293
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Kind of frustrating trying to shelve books on the new device. NOOKs have never been good at this. Occasionally get the "Unfortunately, NOOK has stopped" error message, which tells me less than nothing.

Also, (as in previous NOOKs) this device is having a hard time keeping track of the cover thumbnail images on the shelves and in the list of books. Sometimes there, sometimes not. Grrr.
This is not caused by your GlowLight 3. The same thing was happening to me when I was trying to organize my Simple Touch this afternoon. I've never had issues like this before on the device. I also lost touch with my library when logged in to B&N's website — so there's something not right on B&N's site. I don't know if this fact makes it a better or worse problem, but it's definitely not your device. Hopefully B&N gets this straightened out pretty soon.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #294
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Well, true – but 1GB can hold (according to some estimates) about 3,000 eBooks. So I (personally) think I can "limp along" with the limitation. I'm guessing I'll never own 3,000 eBooks (side-loaded or otherwise, especially since most of my eBooks are coming from the library these days).
I just picked a bunch of ePub eBooks randomly and I hit 1GB at 63 eBooks. That falls very much short of the 3,000 you are quoting. So no, 1GB is not enough. Not even close. Another set of 1GB of random ePub came to 273. I still don't see 3,000 ePub fitting in that 1GB of space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:47 PM   #295
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just picked a bunch of ePub eBooks randomly and I hit 1GB at 63 eBooks. That falls very much short of the 3,000 you are quoting. So no, 1GB is not enough. Not even close. Another set of 1GB of random ePub came to 273. I still don't see 3,000 ePub fitting in that 1GB of space.
There was something off about your 63 books.

But your point is right. A standard BPH (fiction) book seems to run me around 1.5/2MB. Indies range between 350KB to 1.5MB. So you should be able to fit a couple of hundred on there, but 1,500 would be a stretch.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:18 AM   #296
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would say your 63 books are not standard length novels.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:20 AM   #297
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
There was something off about your 63 books.

But your point is right. A standard BPH (fiction) book seems to run me around 1.5/2MB. Indies range between 350KB to 1.5MB. So you should be able to fit a couple of hundred on there, but 1,500 would be a stretch.
GBM (above) has nearly 1,400 books on 905 MBs on his NST.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:32 AM   #298
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
That was driving me nuts too. One of the things I really dislike about Kindles is not having the option to show thumbnails in list view; having a mixture of thumbnails/no thumbnails is almost worse.

I googled around and someone said that if you do an epub to epub conversion the covers stick when you send them to the Nook. I've tried it with several books that formerly were missing the covers and it's worked so far.

Aside from the inconvenience, the thing that bothers me is if something gets screwed up in the conversion I don't know the proper way to get back to the original epub. If I delete the new epub I still have the old one but it now has a different file extension and I don't think it can be used for anything as is. I wouldn't dare just go in and change the file extension with file explorer because I don't know if it would mess up Calibre.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:56 AM   #299
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I looked up my numbers on the Internet. Someone was estimating, using some kind of formula – looks like he didn't get it right. But 1,500 looks close. Still more than I'll ever need.
I was playing with a python utility to download non-archived books from the Kobo site instead of using the Kobo Desktop application. I currently have 81 books that are not archived (about 5% of my purchases from Kobo). After downloading, they occupied 924MB. Admittedly, 24 members of that list are food related books which occupy 665MB and a fair chunk of the larger non-foodie books are omnibus editions.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:33 AM   #300
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
GBM (above) has nearly 1,400 books on 905 MBs on his NST.
Analyzing my Calibre library, the most critical item is images followed by embedded fonts. Quite a few of my newer epubs came with 1000x1500 to 1706x2560 cover images with a lower compression ratio which are just a titch larger than the 510x680 or 501x751 images that were popular a few years back. Looking at one recent purchase from Amazon, the cover image is 940KB -- looking inside the archive, the file shrank by a massive 714 bytes when compressed. Looking at Mario Batali's America Farm to Table, it contain 226MB of images and 2MB for the rest of the book. Not only is a picture worth a thousand words, it takes up the space of 10,000 words.

As for the embedded fonts? A unnecessary evil. As is setting font-families to reflect fonts found on a Windows or Macintosh PC. When is the last time you used an eInk reader with Times New Roman as a factory font? If nothing else, the embedded fonts are not optimized for an eInk display and look craptastic while the font-family CSS prevents switching fonts.

And yes, since I am interested in food and cooking, I have quite a few epubs in the 100+ MB range and some in the 200+ MB range. Looking at those larger epubs, I could legitimately (and ridiculously) claim that with 5 ebooks, I ran out of sideload space on a Nook Glow 3.

Eliminating the foodie library from my list, I still came up with an average ebook size of 1.1MB. Using that number, I would be able to fit ~875 epubs in the available sideload space. Not bad but not good in this age of ever expanding book sizes.