Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
rioachim
Enthusiast
rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: PW2
Firmware update 5.9.2.0.1

Update is live and brings temporary disable of touchscreeen on Oasis 2, Audible on Kindles with bluetooth and performance improvements for the rest.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200529680
rioachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Thanks for the heads up, I was not expecting the Audible update for Kindle 8th gen this soon. Will give it a try.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I almost couldn't find the update kindle option. Has it always been in advanced? Maybe I am dreaming.

Oh the disable screen is nice. I can wipe dust off without activating something, I can put my finger on the line, just grab the whole thing and it won't do anything. Just like my basic, the one with buttons and no touch screen.

This is really handy for long reading sessions.

And plus points for me not checking obsessively what the batter percentage says.

I didn't even think I needed this.

Its in inside the book, right in the drop down on the right where the other stuff is like about the book.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rioachim View Post
Update is live and brings temporary disable of touchscreeen on Oasis 2, Audible on Kindles with bluetooth and performance improvements for the rest.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200529680
This is another one of those almost mandatory security updates.

It would be nice if people with older Kindle models report what user experience and available features change and how they change.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Well I don't know what it did to Voyage except it did move where you find the update your kindle for manual install. You find it now in Settings, Device Options, Advanced Options. There is Storage Management there now, don't know if it was in there previously. And it rebooted....hope this isn't a new trend.

And lost my page on reboot and started at the beginning..luckily I could resync it to last page read.

Last edited by janrey; 12-11-2017 at 04:49 PM.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
Well I don't know what it did to Voyage except it did move where you find the update your kindle for manual install. You find it now in Settings, Device Options, Advanced Options. There is Storage Management there now, don't know if it was in there previously. And it rebooted....hope this isn't a new trend.

And lost my page on reboot and started at the beginning..luckily I could resync it to last page read.
Thanks, I'm all out of karma to give today.

My Voyage was a 5.6.1 on Friday. This weekend I jailbroke it and updated to 5.8.11, with
"Update Your Kindle" 1 level up (Settings -> Device Options)

Were you already at 5.9.x before you got 5.9.2.0.1?

I've been planning to stay at 5.8.11 and it looks like amazon is only going to let me enjoy it for a short time.

To anyone out there, will I also lose my progress bar on my KNT4?
Old 12-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
fllc
has been
fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k4nt, touch, PW2, koa2, pw4, Nook GLP 7.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

My Voyage was a 5.6.1 on Friday. This weekend I jailbroke it and updated to 5.8.11, with

I've been planning to stay at 5.8.11 and it looks like amazon is only going to let me enjoy it for a short time.

Do not update your voyage to 5.9.* if you want to use any of the MR addons. None of them work yet in anything above 5.8.11.

There are no longer any updates for K4NT.

BTW, JB survives update to 5.9.2.0.1.
fllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fllc View Post
Do not update your voyage to 5.9.* if you want to use any of the MR addons. None of them work yet in anything above 5.8.11.

There are no longer any updates for K4NT.

BTW, JB survives update to 5.9.2.0.1.
Thanks!

It also turns out amazon says 5.9.2.0.1 is NOT required for the Voyage. I wonder if that assumes the Voyage is already beyond 5.8.11. In any case, I'm sitting tight.

Amazon does say my K2 needs an update, and they do list a minimum for K4NT, which I will have to check on later.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:58 PM   #9
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post

Storage Management is new for this update on my Voyage according to Menu* | Settings | Menu |Device Info / What's New

I've always manually updated by going to Menu |Settings |Menu |Update Your Kindle.

I had no issues of it retrieving the last page I was on in my current read.

My Kindle rebooted twice during the process... better than the number of reboots my Win10 PC did during its latest update!

* Menu = the three vertical dots in the top right hand corner
copyrite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #10
fllc
has been
fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k4nt, touch, PW2, koa2, pw4, Nook GLP 7.8
Quote:
Thanks!

It also turns out amazon says 5.9.2.0.1 is NOT required for the Voyage. I wonder if that assumes the Voyage is already beyond 5.8.11. In any case, I'm sitting tight.

Amazon does say my K2 needs an update, and they do list a minimum for K4NT, which I will have to check on later.
It's safe to update both K2 and K4NT (as well as K3, touch). The last update was for certificates only. You don't need them if you don't let your Kindle communicate with Amazon, i.e. sideload only. However, without these latest updates the old Kindles will not be able to communicate with Amazon. So you need them for whispersync, store, etc.

Keep your Voyage in airplane mode or put a folder named update.bin.tmp.partial into the top of the visible storage when you connect it to a computer. It will prevent FW update.
fllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Update Your Kindle was and remains in 2 places:
- (anywhere in Settings) in the ‘triple dot’ menu
- in Settings->Device Options prior to 5.9.2 (but now in Device Options->Advanced Settings)
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #12
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:

I believe it was 5.8.11
Old 12-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #13
janrey
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Storage Management is new for this update on my Voyage according to Menu* | Settings | Menu |Device Info / What's New

I've always manually updated by going to Menu |Settings |Menu |Update Your Kindle.

I had no issues of it retrieving the last page I was on in my current read.

My Kindle rebooted twice during the process... better than the number of reboots my Win10 PC did during its latest update!

* Menu = the three vertical dots in the top right hand corner
It rebooted after updating completely. I was in a book when it froze. I was attempting to get it out of the case to do a reboot when it self rebooted. I haven’t used it fully yet so hoping it was a one off.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #14
janrey
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Update Your Kindle was and remains in 2 places:
- (anywhere in Settings) in the ‘triple dot’ menu
- in Settings->Device Options prior to 5.9.2 (but now in Device Options->Advanced Settings)
Ah I missed clicking on the triple dots again after getting into settings. Thanks that’s faster to find.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:54 PM   #15
jkingrph
jkingrph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire
I updated mine and it lost all the books that had been downloaded and now shows nothing in the cloud library. I went to my pc and sent a few to the Voyage, and they showed up after restarting. I'll leave it overnight and hope things catch up.
jkingrph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware 5.9.2.0.1