Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #31
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan616 View Post
I took the original images to try to figure out the dimensions. Just drew a line on the diagonal of the screen, divided the length of said line by 6 for a pixel per inch figure. Then drew lines on the length and width of the device and divided them by the ppi from the screen. Assuming its a 6" screen (and this seems most likely) here is what I came up with:

width 5.301886792"
height 7.962264151"

So rounding we've got 5.3x8". I'm not going to try it again with the high res images because I'm fairly certain we'd end up with the same numbers. I'd love to figure out the depth, but I can not for the life of me find the diameter of a pencil on Google.

Oh wow, just noticed this is my first post since joining in June!
I happen to have an identical pencil on my desk here. It's almost 8mm wide, when viewed the same way as shown on the image (with three faces showing). 7mm if you view it with only two faces showing. That makes the new kindle 9.88 mm wide, or about .4 of an inch.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #32
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Too big of a device for this screen size. The keyboard explains only PART of the size of the thing.

(look to the new txtr - now THAT is a good new design!)

Besides, the keyboard philosophy beyond the Kindle does not make sense to me: if I want to buy a book - or dowload anything, really - to my Cybook, I just plug it to a computer - there are online computers pretty much anywhere for God sake!

Unless there are important developments in techical aspects to announce, I will most probably prefer a 505 or Cybook anyday.
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #33
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post
Too big of a device for this screen size. The keyboard explains only PART of the size of the thing.

(look to the new txtr - now THAT is a good new design!)

Besides, the keyboard philosophy beyond the Kindle does not make sense to me: if I want to buy a book - or dowload anything, really - to my Cybook, I just plug it to a computer - there are online computers pretty much anywhere for God sake!

Unless there are important developments in techical aspects to announce, I will most probably prefer a 505 or Cybook anyday.
The big draw of the Kindle over other e-readers is Whipernet and the ability to download/preview books on the go.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #34
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Update: Kindle 2 accessories posted over here.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #35
milan616
milan616 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian View Post
I happen to have an identical pencil on my desk here. It's almost 8mm wide, when viewed the same way as shown on the image (with three faces showing). 7mm if you view it with only two faces showing. That makes the new kindle 9.88 mm wide, or about .4 of an inch.
Thanks!
milan616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #36
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm wondering how many shades the Kindle 2 has natively. It does look better then the dithering on the Kindle 1.
The optimist in me hopes that they decided to raise the bar, at least for this price range, and go for 16 shades. It's certainly possible with the new controllers.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #37
zorgon
zorgon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
The optimist in me hopes that they decided to raise the bar, at least for this price range, and go for 16 shades. It's certainly possible with the new controllers.
Good Job with the 16 shades prediction!
zorgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #38
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If you go over to Gizmodo they have a couple of pictures that compare the K1 and the K2 side by side. K2 is slightly longer and wider.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #39
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipy View Post
I kind of like the design but the most important, for me, what about PDF?
No direct PDF support.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote