Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
ErikM
ErikM began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Sound During Startup?

I feel stupid even asking this, but is there a way to mute the startup sound? I have my speakers muted (using the buttons on the side), but the introduction fanfare always blasts on through. I’m sure there has to be a way to turn this off, but I can’t find it anywhere. Any help?

(As an aside, being a new Kobo Vox user, this site has been very helpful. Thanks to all those who have indirectly answered my unasked questions.)

(As a deeper aside, I’ve seen a lot of complaints about aspects of the Vox, but I’m really, really loving it. I’ve used it to read Kobo books, library books, and comics; tomorrow, I’m moving my first magazine subscription from hard copy to digital. Up next will be trying the Kindle selection and seeing about Netflix viewing…)
ErikM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

I put the headphones in during startup if I don't want it to make noise. :-)
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Erik,

I can't answer your original question, but I wanted to address the rest of your comment to say that I am also enjoying my Vox. On a recent long road trip, I really appreciated the night settings, and so did my husband. He had previously found my using an e-reader while we were traveling at night to be quite seriously distracting to him when he was driving, but with the night setting I can read without bothering the driver. I've successfully borrowed library books using the Overdrive software. And I enjoyed a few giggles playing Angry Birds during the daytime on our road trip as well. The display is really nice as well, and Youtube videos look really good. I'm looking forward to the update which will, hopefully, address the annoyance of sometimes having to completely restart it when trying to get it out of sleep mode. Some sort of battery conservation thing would be nice as well because I'm finding the battery life to be less than ideal. (We have a 110 plug-in in our truck, which I did make use of during our 10 hour road trip.)

And I agree that this site has been invaluable. I would have been totally lost without it.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikM View Post
I feel stupid even asking this, but is there a way to mute the startup sound? I have my speakers muted (using the buttons on the side), but the introduction fanfare always blasts on through. I’m sure there has to be a way to turn this off, but I can’t find it anywhere. Any help?
You get the sound on startup because the Vox has not loaded to the point where it can notice your settings choice. Did you try turning your volume control all the way down? The hardware volume control--on the left side of the Vox.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
ErikM
ErikM began at the beginning.

That’s what I was worried about. I guess I was hoping it’d be more like my computer in that I could set it on mute, shut down, and then have it boot up the next day still muted.

It seems intuitive that way—obviously, you want to mute your Kobo so as not to disturb others around you (whether you’re in public beside them, in bed with a sleeping partner, in a library, whatever), but the music comes blaring on regardless.

I know—this is a textbook example of "first world problems." I just find it a bit annoying. Maybe I should be letting it 'sleep' instead of always shutting it down to save on battery...

Anyway, thanks for your response…

Erik
ErikM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
MegaSilver
MegaSilver began at the beginning.

I remember seeing the audio file in the file system. Perhaps just deleting it will work. I'll try to look into that. This is a pet peeve of mine too.
MegaSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Mine as well. I'd really prefer it to be silent.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
If you put the Vox in airplane mode (no wifi), it uses very little battery in sleep mode.

Keith
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
cindiaugustine
Enthusiast
cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox and original Kobo
I'm with you guys on this. Initial sounds in electronics that you can't control have long been a pet peeve of mine.

It may seem like a small thing, but when you hesitate to turn it on in bed because it will wake your other half...then it does interfere with the user-friendly quotient. Hope we can figure out a way, or that Kobo addresses this in an update.
cindiaugustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #10
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
You can only remove the startup sound if you've rooted your Vox.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #11
Jesslynne
Zealot

And when it is rooted? What can you do to remove the sounds?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:07 AM   #12
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslynne View Post
And when it is rooted? What can you do to remove the sounds?
There's a file you need to remove or replace :

/system/media/bootaudio.mp3
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:10 AM   #13
Jesslynne
Zealot

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Aww, but we worked so long and hard on that sound...

KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Yes, but it's so loud...
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote